• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler play disc golf. Bubba is a PDGA member and stopped by the IDGC to meet with Brian early in the week before playing the Masters.

But ball golf dismisses us as a joke, as a whole, and looks down on us as something to be dismissed. Why would you want to be associated with them? We share nothing with ball golf, other than the basics of play.

Wild accusation #1 with no evidence to justify a point that isn't provable.

Who speaks for "ball golf"? who dismissed us? Or are you concocting ideas and listening to yourself long enough to make them a reality?

Thats great, everyone knows about the history of ball golf and how popular it is. The point of this thread is that disc golf does not need ball golf to survive and grow. Let us go our own way, and they go thiers!

See below:

When at any time was disc golf "dependent" on any other sport? What would "going our separate ways" even be supposed to do or look like? :confused:

:confused::confused: In what way are we underneath golf or even associated with them Thrembo? Additionally, why can't we play both without people making a turf war out of nothing?

I grew up playing Golf and I love the game. I became instantly hooked on disc golf because of the love I have for golf's mental challenge and precision athleticism - these things are in common with disc golf (admittedly disc golf is easier). I now disc golf more than I golf - but I'd never spit on another sport in a desperate cry for attention.

Disc golf should earn its "independence" as you're calling it through positive press and notoriety, not by trying to start a stupid rivalry with another sport which is practically the same game. This attitude is setting us back 10 years.

I don't have to justify myself to any of you noobs. I've allready gave an example of how ball golf has "helped" us, and stated that over the last few years ball golfers have been softening to us a little more. There is no rivalry between us, unless thats how you ball golfers see it. If you want to flame war with not knowing about the history of our sport, whatever.

Please give a specific example of how "ball golf has gone out of its way to look down on us". I've never seen or heard of it. I'm pretty sure that most golfers simply don't know or care about disc golf at all, and vice versa.

therembo...you didn't start the thread so why are you telling us what the point is? You don't need to justify yourself while making all of these claims and saying you've played disc golf for 36 years but have never seen anyone on the course wearing jean shorts, I'm at a loss here...

Ball Golfers could care less about Disc Golf. They never give DG a thought. We waste our time and energy comparing the games and those that play them to one another. They are very much the same, in rules, ettiqute and such. Both require techical skill with the respective equipment (clubs and discs). The learning curve to get good is faster in DG, then Ball Golf, but to get truly excellent at DG takes a lot of time and precise practice (I have yet to attain this at all!)

They cater to a different target group obviously. What the average ball golfer thinks of the game I love doesn't matter to me one bit. DG is fun, good exercise, inexpensive and a great time. Ball golf can probably be considered three of those four, but not all.

Ball golf has historicly ignored us and shunned us, thought of us as a novelty and done nothing to help us, ok mabye they haven't gone "out of their way" to look down on us, but they have always looked down on us, or thought of us as a joke. I'm serious here. So what? We didn't need them back in the day, and we don't need them now. If you want to suck up, or try and kiss ball golf ass, go for it. Join thier community too, great, pretend that they treat us as equals, sure why not! But to talk out of your ass like you know about our overall history with ball golf, when its obvious that you don't...I'm done on the subject.

therembo...you didn't start the thread so why are you telling us what the point is? You don't need to justify yourself while making all of these claims and saying you've played disc golf for 36 years but have never seen anyone on the course wearing jean shorts, I'm at a loss here...

I thought it was obvious what the point of this thread was, I didn't drift it.

I've seen lots of jean shorts on the course, just none that were that...revealing!

Ball golf has historicly ignored us and shunned us, thought of us as a novelty and done nothing to help us, ok mabye they haven't gone "out of their way" to look down on us, but they have always looked down on us, or thought of us as a joke. I'm serious here. So what? We didn't need them back in the day, and we don't need them now. If you want to suck up, or try and kiss ball golf ass, go for it. Join thier community too, great, pretend that they treat us as equals, sure why not! But to talk out of your ass like you know about our overall history with ball golf, when its obvious that you don't...I'm done on the subject.
After all the accusations you can't provide proof that they did, yet you claim no one else to knows the history. Yet again, you can't provide proof that you do know the history because you refuse to back up your claims. You claim to not have to prove yourself to anyone, but you can't make accusations and not be expected to back them up. So either back them up or GTFO.

Now, the correlations between the concepts are the premise of the game, it's what makes the game, the game. The History between the two is a different story. So those saying that we should split from them is making a connection with them themselves. On the post Lewis made, how would you go about splitting? You won't stop people from associating with the Ball golf side, because the concept is the same. Therefore, you can't stop people from thinking, and the two will forever be linked in concept. Relevance is a different story, that's a preference.

Last edited:
who's lumping us with ball golfers anyway? just cause we share the same common name?? i dont get it. the separation is definitely there, just ask any ball golfer about disc and 90 percent or more would laugh. so what? they have no idea this is a legit sport due to ignorance or maybe the one time they branched out in high school or college to smoke pot. to say disc will follow in golfs footsteps upon gaining recognition is ridiculous. the proof: how were laughin at that fools clothes..no one in there right mind would let there friends wear that sh*t to throw disc. i definitely vote disc golf but i still enjoy golf esp since i began taking disc golf so seriously.

cmon thrembo... don't tell me you're apart of the "i know more about disc golf than you ever will" clique; because those guys are worst than the pasty white boy i got my hat cocked sideways and THUG tatted on my chest with more fake bling bling than a 25cent machine can spit out in a year clubs.

i may not be a dg history professor but all we're asking is for examples and you've given us none. i'm sure there are some dbag i wear polos with my collar up even in the shower fanboy ball golfers out there trashing disc golf but as we've seen from this thread there are some i wear jorts and hate ball golf fanboys as well.

If you all had read the whole thread, I have given an example. We asked them to help us create a player/course rating system, and they told us to go piss up a rope! Why is this so hard for you to understand? I'm not the disc golf proffesor, thats Dr. Johnson. The only reason That I know something about the sport, is because I have been playing for awhile. Hopefully some other long time players could back me up, but most of them very seldom post.

I personaly could care less about ball golf. If they suddenly wished to support us, that would be great, and in time, it could be possible. But we do not need them.

I would hate to get paid to wear clothes (something I have to do anyway) and make $293,105 for finishing in a tie for fifth place for one tournament. That guy just made more than 6 times what our top player will earn this year for getting 5th in one tournament. I would hate for our sport to get to that.

Also, to those of you who are saying there is not a comparison between the two sports, are you ****ing kidding me?

Stated perfectly, golf is the same from ball to disc, hyzer to draw, and green to 10m. The biggest difference between the two sports is the people. All the same basic rules are in place, the objective is the same, draw you own conclusions but its the same game with different players minus the fact that we don't have 400 years of cred and public recognition.

Get this sport more popular buy getting the word out and getting great film of it. People bash on DG just because but when I take the time to show them a DG movie most of them come around just a little. If we get enough of these little victories it will grow to total victory.

Some folks say when given lemons make lemonade, I say when surrounded, great we can attack in any direction. Weather your passive or aggressive about the development of the game just be a good ambassador and keep being passionate.

Really, they've ignored us? Maybe they just don't care? Shunned us and not done anything to help us? You really expect them to support another sport closely related, even if they cared enough to acknowledge us? And, if they did acknowledge us as a whole I highly doubt they'd go out of their way to help us. Sponsors and sport growth would only possibly stunt their overall profit. So While I agree there are grounds for them to shun us or look down on us. I think it's mostly a disgruntled Disc golfer wishing they had PGA status accusing them of holding us back. Not saying that's you, but others of this mindset. Gotta blame someone else for our faults, never our fault.

holy cow i agree with lithicon. somebody go check hell and see if it froze over.

I'm not saying they are holding us back, I don't care if they acknowledge us or not and I'm not blaming them for anything! What you say makes sense. What I thought was the point of this thread, we don't need them!

I'm agreeing wit lithicon and new013 (sorta of). Now thats a sign af the apocolypse! (No religeous overtones intended!)

Thrembo, don't take this as an attack. I did read the thread, and I read the example you gave. But, I don't take that as a good example. Sounds like one instance where someone asked about it and was given a non-official response of warning. Tone and intent could have been easily mistaken leading them to false judgement against the group as a whole. I don't know if you were directly involved in this event, but it could be like the tell a friend a story and it's blown out of proportion after two people.

Latest posts