• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

PGA doesn't really know much about player ratings or handicaps, just World Rankings. That's the job of the USGA. I visited the USGA HQ in Far Hills, NJ around 2000 when we were still developing the PDGA ratings system. They tried to do calculations similar to what we've done for the PDGA but they were already entrenched in their handicap system from which thousands of clubs make money. They protect their handicap process with a trademark. Others can copy the formulas but just can't call them USGA handicaps.

PGA doesn't really know much about player ratings or handicaps, just World Rankings. That's the job of the USGA. I visited the USGA HQ in Far Hills, NJ around 2000 when we were still developing the PDGA ratings system. They tried to do calculations similar to what we've done for the PDGA but they were already entrenched in their handicap system from which thousands of clubs make money. They protect their handicap process with a trademark. Others can copy the formulas but just can't call them USGA handicaps.

Thanks for the clarification. You must know Rodger then.

Last edited:
Agreed. Simple.
We waste our time in articles, interviews, etc by making a comparison with golf, rather than simply showcasing our sport.

I think some discers cling to 'ball golf' in hopes of it adding legitimacy and eventually growth and mass cultural acceptance for this sport. These discers are probably either young and hope to cash in (nothing wrong with that) or the type of person that craves acceptance or being part of some group.

I say screw 'em. We should stay discers and form our own traditions and culture. I for one don't want to have to wear any collars when I play. Or funny looking pants, shorts or stinkin' visors. And Icertainly hope we don't get as snooty as those ballers.

Sounds like an accurate description of every pro disc Golfer I have seen minus the visor. Some wear funny looking hats.

Thanks for the clarification. You must know Rodger then.
Don't remember as it was over 10 years ago. I did have several email exchanges with Dean Knuth known as the "Pope of Slope" who created the slope fudge factor that makes the ball golf handicap system appear to work a little better.

I just read this entire thread and I must say, what a waste of time. We heard that:

1) disc golf has nothing in common with ball golf ( really?!?!?!)

2) ball golf hates us (no proof offered)

3) if you haven't played forever then you know nothing. (again, really?!?!?!?!?)

This all sounds too much like what is going on with the US today. Too many people proclaiming that they are right and not willing to show citations (in this case websites or written documentation) to back up their claims, all the while they put down anyone who has a different point of view as naive or an idiot.

Again a waste of time, you can't argue with those people.

I never knew that a sport could hate another sport. I wasn't even aware that a sport had any type of feelings or opinions. I'm also terrrified of "they". I don't know who "they" are, but "they" sound mean.

I find it funny that because some golfers find DG to be a joke, that some DGer's feel that everyone associated with golf doesn't take them seriously. Probably just as many golfers as non-golfers think that DG is a joke. I play both. Both sports have their share of tool bags, but it seems that DGers get the most butt-hurt about others not taking them seriously. Who cares?

Lmao, I agree. But, I couldn't help but laugh at your sig. Ugh, every time it gets me.

A bit of levity. Who's the best dressed:

nikko-locastro-first-class-challenge.jpg

Nikko Locastro

or

image-1-for-the-open-2009-day-1-gallery-198756856.jpg

Ian Poulter

I am getting SICK of Hockey Players looking down on Disc Golf because we don't wear pads, hit Discs with a stick and have masks...Freaking Sportists (A Sports related Racist)

Next time I see Wayne Gretzky, I am pegging him with a AVENGER SS...Because I demand REVENGE.

My first tourney was a B tier, and I had a blast. The structure of the round and pace of play made it seem like a new game.

That being said, I'm playing the Ams and the whole "collared shirt", "no smoking", "smile for the cameras and look pretty" sh*t has me nervous.

I'm all about competition, and can't wait to play in the event, but if I ain't havin' fun, I ain't doin' it again. It's that simple. I don't care how I'll look on the DVD.

I enjoy the novelty of being rated, but have no problem being a career casual player. If I feel the PDGA has ruined the casual, fun nature of our sport, I'll play B and C tiers as a non-member. If these "stodgy" rules make their way down to the lower tiers, I'll just play local leagues.

I have no desire to resemble a PGA player whatsoever... Except Tiger. He's loaded and gets lots of tail.

i think what separates golf and dg is the fact that us dg'ers can sit on a forum and bash golfers but golfers sit on their forum and never even mention dg.

...and if that statement doesn't create enough animosity

the difference in golf and dg is that the people in the positions of power within the sport of dg are now running away from their roots while the people in the positions of power in golf are going back to their roots.

My first tourney was a B tier, and I had a blast. The structure of the round and pace of play made it seem like a new game.

That being said, I'm playing the Ams and the whole "collared shirt", "no smoking", "smile for the cameras and look pretty" sh*t has me nervous.

I'm all about competition, and can't wait to play in the event, but if I ain't havin' fun, I ain't doin' it again. It's that simple. I don't care how I'll look on the DVD.

I enjoy the novelty of being rated, but have no problem being a career casual player. If I feel the PDGA has ruined the casual, fun nature of our sport, I'll play B and C tiers as a non-member. If these "stodgy" rules make their way down to the lower tiers, I'll just play local leagues.

I have no desire to resemble a PGA player whatsoever... Except Tiger. He's loaded and gets lots of tail.

So your PDGA-hating argument is "The PDGA is ruining the casual nature of our sport by enforcing a dress code for NT events..."

What are you on? The Professional Disc Golf Association has no jurisdiction over casual rounds in the first place. You don't need PDGA approval to play the sport, install a course, or own any DG-related equipment so there's a logical fail.

Secondly - how does a governing body/sport league ruin the entire concept of a sport by enforcing rules meant to govern its (and nobody elses) own league? In order for a tournament to be PDGA sanctioned you have to apply for it, so there goes your whole argument...the PDGA has no power except over its members and leagues which are completely voluntary to join/participate in.

...just a mind-blowingly illogical argument. Stop trying to export the "I hate the smoking ban" platform to other threads. That thread got locked for a reason.

Funny

A bit of levity. Who's the best dressed:

nikko-locastro-first-class-challenge.jpg

Nikko Locastro

or

image-1-for-the-open-2009-day-1-gallery-198756856.jpg

Ian Poulter

Nikko's whole look screams 'look at me'!!! I think it screams something else too, but I'll refrain so as not to cause this thread any more angst. At least he's got game. I hope that can carry him for a long time.

Latest posts