• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in a Dress - PDGA Rule Change

Ms. Finley/Finale

I turned off my Facebook well over a year ago so your "blocking" fears should be put to rest. Unless you think I would intentionally turned it off just to block you.

"Freedom to dress more feminine and freely?" is this seriously what your argument was based on? Did the board consider a change to the sport based on the availability of feminine attire to its athletes? Was there an issue with not looking feminine enough on the course? I'm curious because I don't think I've heard much about this from other female disc golfers. But perhaps you're a voice for the voiceless. Of course, this wasn't my intent here.

I appreciate your attempts to coat this in a veil of repression but let's be honest, this had nothing to do with the restrictive nature of the clothes available to women and if it was, then why is a Tennis Skirt the answer? Wouldn't volleyball shorts or a bikini be more "freeing" and "less restrictive" to the players? There's a fine line which was blurred to meet the need of the repressed.

And don't get me wrong; I don't mind the change and I stated that in my initial response to your post. The rule was outdated and probably needed adjusting, so why are you bent out of shape? I was asking what the purpose of the dress code is and if this change meets the need to that end. Your answer, while very personal to you, does not address that.

It apparently meets the need of your ailment; syncope, which, by the way, means nothing more than "prone to fainting." And for someone who suffers from this malady, you certainly spend your time poorly if you have it. "Ten hours a day outside practicing." Is that really wise for someone who passes out easily due to lack of proper blood flow to the brain? Should you be engaged in a sport that requires you to spend hours outside in extreme heat?

And if the clothing change is necessary to keep you from passing out, when did you pass out on the tour last year from the restrictive clothes? From the stats you produced it doesnt seem that your clothes or ailment hindered you at all. You played almost thirty events, won a great deal of them and didn't have to drop out of a single event. So the clothes didn't seem to restrict you according to your stats.

I don't think I've heard of any female disc golfer say, "You know, I feel like I could have played better if it wasn't for these constrictive and punishing clothes."

And, as the point was made by someone else, what does this mean for the dress code for everyone? If we changed the rule to meet your medical need then why not allow carts for the diabetic players? If it was done to allow more freedom of movement then why require shirts for men? The rule change seems hasty and without conversation. I was asking for the conversation about that after the fact, and you responded as if I was personally attacking you. Odd because I didn't mention you at all.

The original rule was penned during a different time and fashion has grown up a lot since then. A la the required collared shirt has since morphed to include a dry fit.

Of course, how far do we want this to go? I'm not saying that this particular dress code was valid, but how far do we want to push the dress code before it fails to meet the purpose for which it was intended? Why did we have a dress code in the first place?

In regards to this rule; what was gained by changing it? Was there not suitable attire available for women prior to the change? Does this help or hinder the visibility of the sport as it moves forward?

You remind of that guy at work that ruins casual Friday for everyone by complaining it doesn't "feel professional" to wear a non collared shirt.

There's a dude who plays in a dress sometimes at my home course. Besides a few under our breath comments, it's really nothing out of the ordinary in Socal. Not my cup of tea but maybe there's less friction, who knows.

Ms. Finley/Finale

I turned off my Facebook well over a year ago so your "blocking" fears should be put to rest. Unless you think I would intentionally turned it off just to block you.

"Freedom to dress more feminine and freely?" is this seriously what your argument was based on? Did the board consider a change to the sport based on the availability of feminine attire to its athletes? Was there an issue with not looking feminine enough on the course? I'm curious because I don't think I've heard much about this from other female disc golfers. But perhaps you're a voice for the voiceless. Of course, this wasn't my intent here.

I appreciate your attempts to coat this in a veil of repression but let's be honest, this had nothing to do with the restrictive nature of the clothes available to women and if it was, then why is a Tennis Skirt the answer? Wouldn't volleyball shorts or a bikini be more "freeing" and "less restrictive" to the players? There's a fine line which was blurred to meet the need of the repressed.

And don't get me wrong; I don't mind the change and I stated that in my initial response to your post. The rule was outdated and probably needed adjusting, so why are you bent out of shape? I was asking what the purpose of the dress code is and if this change meets the need to that end. Your answer, while very personal to you, does not address that.

It apparently meets the need of your ailment; syncope, which, by the way, means nothing more than "prone to fainting." And for someone who suffers from this malady, you certainly spend your time poorly if you have it. "Ten hours a day outside practicing." Is that really wise for someone who passes out easily due to lack of proper blood flow to the brain? Should you be engaged in a sport that requires you to spend hours outside in extreme heat?

And if the clothing change is necessary to keep you from passing out, when did you pass out on the tour last year from the restrictive clothes? From the stats you produced it doesnt seem that your clothes or ailment hindered you at all. You played almost thirty events, won a great deal of them and didn't have to drop out of a single event. So the clothes didn't seem to restrict you according to your stats.

I don't think I've heard of any female disc golfer say, "You know, I feel like I could have played better if it wasn't for these constrictive and punishing clothes."

And, as the point was made by someone else, what does this mean for the dress code for everyone? If we changed the rule to meet your medical need then why not allow carts for the diabetic players? If it was done to allow more freedom of movement then why require shirts for men? The rule change seems hasty and without conversation. I was asking for the conversation about that after the fact, and you responded as if I was personally attacking you. Odd because I didn't mention you at all.

Now I feel you're getting personal. I choose to no longer engage in this discussion with you.

I stated my reasons and they are simple as that. You can read into them as much as you want and twist it however you like.

Good conversing with you, sir.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers.

Do we really need to worry about a fashion slippery slope?

yeah those damn teenage girls showing off their belly buttons and my generation which didn't know belts existed until we graduated. Bunch of whores and gangsters, that's for sure...

It might be sick but I would bet there are TONS AND TONS of male TV viewers who only watch women's tennis or volleyball for the sake of checking the competition out-- and not b/c they are going to compete against them.

Good work Holly-- its 2014 almost afterall. Anyone seen a music video lately?! :sick:

Ms. Finley/Finale

Should have kept facebook. I don't know Holly well enough to determine her intent or "real" thoughts. :\ I just take her at face value.

You remind of that guy at work that ruins casual Friday for everyone by complaining it doesn't "feel professional" to wear a non collared shirt.

No doubt. That was quite the rant over somebody wearing a tennis skirt to play disc golf. If she has issues with fainting, maybe it's a preemptive measure, instead of a reactive measure. Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to wear a knee brace if your knee hurts on a certain day. What a ridiculous diatribe over nothing.

Soapboxes should be for real causes, not for people that just want the kids to get off their lawn.

Regardless of the intent Holly may or may not have had, it is silly that an outfit is considered professional for one legit sport but not considered professional for ours.

Last edited:
Not sure if all Diabetics would need a cart, but I know a few who do. Hence the suggestion.

My original post to this thread asked for the purpose of the dress code. I didn't make it personal. I didn't even mention the author by name until she directed her comments at me.

And I've heard this fluff from her before. I think she retired from disc golf from all the negative comments she was taking in the past. And from what I gather from looking at her collection of replies on this site, she's famous for feeling violated by people and "choosing not to continue conversations further." Which means nothing really.

As far as being that guy who complains. Sure. Why not? Someone has to ask questions.

You can all go back to flirting with Holly now. I will step back from this and let you flourish.

Wow. I'm sure she knows how to handle her condition better than you do, doctor.

Not sure if all Diabetics would need a cart, but I know a few who do. Hence the suggestion.

My original post to this thread asked for the purpose of the dress code. I didn't make it personal. I didn't even mention the author by name until she directed her comments at me.

And I've heard this fluff from her before. I think she retired from disc golf from all the negative comments she was taking in the past. And from what I gather from looking at her collection of replies on this site, she's famous for feeling violated by people and "choosing not to continue conversations further." Which means nothing really.

As far as being that guy who complains. Sure. Why not? Someone has to ask questions.

You can all go back to flirting with Holly now. I will step back from this and let you flourish.

BFT.

No doubt. That was quite the rant over somebody wearing a tennis skirt to play disc golf. If she has issues with fainting, maybe it's a preemptive measure, instead of a reactive measure. Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to wear a knee brace if your knee hurts on a certain day. What a ridiculous diatribe over nothing.

Soapboxes should be for real causes, not for people that just want the kids to get off their lawn.
grandpa-simpson.jpg

Stupid Rant
Wow dude, I don't get what your problem is. :thmbdown::thmbdown:
You seem to be completely over looking the obvious here...WOMEN ARE GOOD FOR DISC GOLF!!!!!!!! Allowing them to have the choice between what kind of professional attire they want to wear will only attract more. Like you have no sense of what women like.
Regardless of the intent Holly may or may not have had, it is silly that an outfit is considered professional for one legit sport but not considered professional for ours.
Exactly! :clap: I saw the pic of the outfit, nothing unprofessional about it.

Loomis, I am a type 1 diabetic and completely confused as to why you think I need a cart.

because you do

this is so true. doesnt Val wear skirts?

For those that don't know Loomis personally, he is a very articulate individual that (seemingly) enjoys online aggresive discussions.

Loomis - good thing I didn't buy all of your Pro Destroyers, huh? Looks like your current bag is not entirely Trilogy restricted.

At the initial quick read, the first Loomis post seemed a little snarky. After reading it again, I reinterpreted it to mean, 'why do we have a dress code in the first place'. I think some here may have jumped the gun with comments when the first posting wasn't as aggressive as first read.

Please don't skip his line:

And don't get me wrong; I don't mind the change and I stated that in my initial response to your post. ... I was asking what the purpose of the dress code is and if this change meets the need to that end.

I would reply that the purpose of a dress code is to have a more main stream or professional look to Professional Disc Golf. Personally, I think the dress code should only be inforced for the Professional level and not for the Am level. (I'm an Amateur barely competing for prizes in the Rec level. Who gives a FF what I look like at an A-Tier.) I think updating the dress code to include athletic (aka tennis) dresses is in line with this Professional image.

I do not read that Loomis thinks the new update is necessarily wrong, I do read that he may have an issue with why it was changed, even if the change itself was ok.

Because, for someone that has more tatoos than any given hardcore band member, including multiple tatoos on the neck, I don't think Loomis really cares how people look, but cares more about why rules are changed and for whom they are changed for.

Latest posts