• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics?

Will there be Disc Golf in the Olympics?

• It could happen in 2012 if the PDGA or some other entity pushes for it

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • It will not happen in 2012, but will eventually be in the Olympics

Votes: 104 42.4%
  • There is no chance that Disc Golf will ever appear in the Olympic games

Votes: 129 52.7%

• Total voters
im no english major but there are mispellings and fragment sentences.. this cant help the case

Haha, not sure if you meant to be ironic with your grammer. I agree, please fix up the grammer. I signed and think dg in the olympics would be sweet!

Nothing says "I want to advocate for my cause but not do any actual legwork that might possibly make it happen" quite like an online petition. They are the ultimate expression of slacktivism. Do the retards who start these things actually think they lead to anything?

I'd rather sign an actual petition to ban online petitions than sign that.

I doubt it will happen until more nations show an interest in the sport. The IOC wont accept sports that aren't played in a good amount of nations, and they definitely don't like adding sports that Americans have a ridiculous advantage at. I would focus on making the sport more popular in more countries before trying to get it into the Olympics.

hooray for online petitions.

I won't sign it because DG has lots of other things to worry about before becoming an olympic sport. Heck, most of the countries in the olympics probably don't have a single course there.

1. there isn't enough time to get it added for 2012.

2. while it will eventually make a great addition to the olympics, it needs to be played heavily by other major countries and minor countries across the globe. i don't even play in open divisions but would make the olympic roster of china, russia, jamaica, korea, etc. etc. etc. until the sport is big in many other countries (and it's debatable whether or not it's big in US right now) DG has no shot.

I may be wrong, but didn't the IOC get rid of softball and baseball because they were not popular across the globe, and due to the US dominance in softball.

Disc Golf needs to just concentrate on expansion. It is expanding rapidly in the US, but we need many more courses across europe, south america, the carribean, etc. before DG can evenly be considered for inclusion.

In regards to a petition that would have any shot, it would need to come from the PDGA.

Olympics 2028 at the earliest. A sport has to be played in over 50 countries before it's even considered. We're currently at about 22 countries with at least one PDGA member, and in some of those countries, it's exactly one or two members.

are you ironik :)
They're ironic too. ;)
Olympics 2028 at the earliest. A sport has to be played in over 50 countries before it's even considered. We're currently at about 22 countries with at least one PDGA member, and in some of those countries, it's exactly one or two members.
It'll never happen, even the X Games wouldn't have this sport.

The main reason I would want it in the Olympics is because it would have excellent coverage. I'd love to see the worlds best on NBC with cameras set up in multiple positions. I'm not a ball golf fan, but I did watch the masters in HD and having that for DG would be insane

I could see Ultimate hitting the Olympics way before DG and I'm not holding my breath for Ultimate.