• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Made Me Skinny

giddyup

Par Member
Well sort of.

I am not a sports guy. For me, invites to play church league softball or pick-up basketball fall on deaf ears. Running; no way. Weight lifting; not so much. I've been a healthy but slightly overweight 220 since college.

I started playing last June, and in the fall, I noticed that I had been able to shed that annoying 10 extra pounds I was carrying around. Of corse, I gained it all back over the winter, but now that I'm back to playing 2-4 times a week, I can see it coming off again.

I guess the 1-2 mile walk a few times a week is enough for me to maintain a good weight. Anyone else rely only on DG to stay in shape? I'm not going for an olympic medal or anything, but it's enough for me.

I guess I'll prerube you here, check out DGCR Biggest Loser.

And to add to the discussion, Yeah I think I've lost about 10 lbs over the past year, I still have some I can shed and have definitely enjoyed watching the beer gut shrink a bit.

When something is "Prerubed" its because he is really good at finding other threads on the same topic and giving links to them. Its not slanderous in any way. Just describing something Prerube is really good at.

I grew up playing all kinds of sports, always being skinny and couldn't find a way to put on a few pounds. Over 8 years after completing high school I managed to get into the great things in life that can make you VERY lazy. Gained 45 pounds over this time. I've been working a very physically demanding job, which help me shed 30 pounds in the first two months that I've worked there.

Over time I learned how to do my job a little more efficiently to limit the wear and tear my body takes daily, so the pounds started creeping back. Then I got into DG. While its not helping me lose a ton of weight its helped me to keep my weight managable. It gives me that little extra that allows me to not have to worry about what I'm eating so much, or stress about making time to exercise. Although all course terrain may not offer a strenuous workout, there are those courses out there that whoop me every time, even being in pretty good shape.

I lost approximately 110 lbs playing disc golf, over the course of about 15 months. DG was my only exercise, and I was only really 'on a diet' for about 3 months. But I lost about 40 lbs in those three months so it was definitely a help. I'm 6'2 and was up to nearly 300 lbs! It was terrible.

It was (relatively) easy for me because I do not drink soda or much alcohol. I think these two culprits are the biggest things holding people back from being able to lose weight. Give up those worthless empty calories (or at least most of them) and the weight comes off easier than you would think.

It was (relatively) easy for me because I do not drink soda or much alcohol. I think these two culprits are the biggest things holding people back from being able to lose weight. Give up those worthless empty calories (or at least most of them) and the weight comes off easier than you would think.

Very true...a whole round of disc is hardly enough to burn off just one 20oz bottle of soda or a few beers. It does keep you busy though, time which might otherwise be sent vegging out and snacking. Disc golf does at least keep your muscles toned as well, and it provided me with motivation to get more fit.

besides playing rounds, I try to get out twice a week and field practice to improve my throwing. I take out a stack of 10 discs, throw em all, then jog to pick them up. Do this about 15 times and you will have jogged close to a mile. It's non-strenuous, low impact exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. This is what I love about throwing discs, in general. It never feels like 'work.'

The opposite is true for me. I'm a cyclist but have found that I'm not on the bike nearly as much as I was before I started DG. I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm getting fat. I have healthy eating habits, too, and generally average 5-10 rounds over 4-5 days a week, most of those solo with very little standing around and waiting. DG just hasn't been so great for my waistline.

Yep. DG is fun, but it isn't real exercise. If you've ever ridden a bike hard for a few hours you know what I mean. But, a nice walk in the woods while chucking plastic is better than doing nothing, and if it can keep you from eating or drinking too much crap then it's certainly helpful. But it isn't a workout. Even on a hilly course.

DG is fun, but it isn't real exercise.

well then please explain to me how I lost so much weight with no other exercise and not much dieting and have kept it off since then. You are wrong sir. It's exercise if you make it such.

Disc golf can help you lose weight. Walking, throwing, and bending are all excercise. Will it burn the same calories as cycling? Maybe if you run the course a couple or 3 times.

Yep. DG is fun, but it isn't real exercise. If you've ever ridden a bike hard for a few hours you know what I mean. But, a nice walk in the woods while chucking plastic is better than doing nothing, and if it can keep you from eating or drinking too much crap then it's certainly helpful. But it isn't a workout. Even on a hilly course.

I don't think you can say it's not "real exercise." What does that even mean?

Now, if you say it's not true cardio exercise.. I'll give you that. But, I wasn't even trying to say that. I was just saying that spending my lunch breaks on the course rather than at McD's has helped me lose weight. And I'm in better shape than if I'd just sat around and played Xbox.

The opposite is true for me. I'm a cyclist but have found that I'm not on the bike nearly as much as I was before I started DG. I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm getting fat. I have healthy eating habits, too, and generally average 5-10 rounds over 4-5 days a week, most of those solo with very little standing around and waiting. DG just hasn't been so great for my waistline.

Why don't u just bike to the DG course?? Biking is not just a form of excercise, but can also be a form of transportation too ;)

Its all relative. If you're cycling and then go to a low strain activity such as DG of course its not gonna equal the high strain burn you get from running/cycling/swimming. But if your only activity is the walk to the fridge and the bathroom then DG should get your blood pumping, help get your numbers to a better level.

Ok. It's exercise if you're terribly out of shape, ill or diseased. My bad.

I find cyclist DG'ers get in the way because they are unable to maintain the same pace as the rest of their group. Cycle to the the course then play on foot.

Disc golf is exercise in my opinion. It isn't going to increase your metabolism much though, unless you play speed rounds. My point.. playing dg burns calories, especially on hilly courses. I am 5'11 and was 330lbs and am now about 190. I lost 50lbs initially from walking(fast paced) 3 miles at lunch every day(along with keeping my calorie intake around 1500 per day) for 3 months. I cut back to 1.5 miles a day and mixed in dg. Losing weight is great, but keeping it off is much easier once you get your metabolism going. Once you get it going, dg can help you keep it going. Now, I eat anything I want because of my increased metabolism. Drinking 8 bottles of water a day helps also.