• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

1929740_995392767219071_7828252668332321200_n.jpg

Our latest blog: Women on Tour

The year is 2016. Less than 10% of the PDGA's membership is women. One possible takeaway is that women do not like to play disc golf and/or join organizations. Another is that disc golf has, for decades, not paid enough to attention women and to growing the women's side of the sport. Clearly women's participation outside the PDGA is larger than 10%, but it is still nowhere near 30%. Our sport has a very big opportunity to grow our base of players, and we can do it pretty easily.

Let's make some assumptions. First, there are about 1.4 million disc golf players in the world. Second, about 15% of these players are women, or about 200,000. Third, the percentage of women that play and want to compete is probably lower than the percentage of men that play and want to compete (hello testosterone). From this, the PDGA membership being as low as it is actually makes sense as a reflection of the number of women playing and the lower percentage of women that want to compete.

Our takeaway from this is that there is a tremendous opportunity for growth on the women's side of the game. If we increase the percentage of women playing to just 30% of our total, this would give us close to another quarter million players, many of whom would be competitive. The wonderful thing? This number is easily attainable. With 1.2 million men playing the sport, we have an avid group of people that would be excited to help.

At each of the Pro Tour stops as well as the Tour Championship, we will be celebrating the best women in our sport. They will be competing in some of the most talented women's fields disc golf has ever seen. The Pro Tour wants to bring women into the game and the one way to do this is to highlight our best female players. We have an opportunity to increase the number of players significantly as well as increase the number of families bringing their kids to the course. Women are not just a big part of our sport, they are a bigger part of our growth. The Pro Tour wants women playing, watching, and helping to get more families involved.

The PDGA is executing the Women's Global Event (WGE). This event is geared towards driving women to come play disc golf with their friends, learn how fun the game is, and - if they would like - see how easy it is to compete with other like-minded women. When trying to get people to do anything, it is important to have a critical mass. In this case, going to a WGE and seeing many other women who like to do the same thing encourages women to keep playing. Conversely, if a woman goes to a tournament and there are few (or no) other women, she will be less likely to keep playing.

The first DGWT event is in the books. The course was well designed, the Metrix were great, (the live stats and scoring were the best the sport has seen so far!), Jamie and Avery did a good job keeping the action going through their commentary, and the hole graphics and flyovers were very well done. Kudos and thank you to the DGWT! Having said that, the DGWT chose to have one division, realistically knocking women out of the event. The world's #1 ranked woman, Catrina Allen, decided to give it a try. She finished 45th, one shot out of the cash.

Interestingly, the DGWT showcased her in their daily recap coverage. In general you would not highlight the person in 50th place in the daily recap. Doing so pointed out that Catrina was worth noting because she was different than everyone else playing the La Mirada Open. Catrina, the #1 ranked woman in the world, played 20 points over her rating. This is the type of thing players do about 10% of the time. This is how players win big events. To put this in perspective, this was better than she played at The Memorial, which she won the previous weekend. Even with that amazing play, the feature in the recap, being the world's #1 ranked woman, she still missed the payout.

As Jussi Meresmaa, organizer of the DGWT, said, "Just like we need superstars on the male side to attract new audiences towards the sport, we need similar star players on the women's side to strengthen the player base by attracting new female players of all ages to the sport." We agree wholeheartedly. We need to grow these women into becoming role models for the next generation of women who will play our sport.

Do we value the women's side of the game enough to include them? Do we want to encourage women to compete, play, and watch? The answer for the Pro Tour is a resounding yes! We want more women playing the sport. We want women competing in our best events. ​And lastly, we want women - and men, kids, and the whole family - to come watch.

The first Pro Tour stop is the Vibram Open, June 23-26, in Leicester, MA.
​There are two divisions. MPO & FPO.

Watch!

​There are two divisions. MPO & FPO.

Watch!

I am glad DGPT is having an FPO division.

I am glad the DGWT is NOT having an FPO division.

there are reasons to be glad about both.

Signed up for my first DGPT event! I'll be heading to Minnesota in July! Pumped to attend the event that Cale and Steve are putting on and get a taste of MN golf!

Please elaborate. Your vagueness makes me assume you agree there is no need for women on the DGWT?

So happy to see the Pro Tour take a stand on inclusion. We are a modern sport and we should lead with modern ideas.

Frankly I don't like comparing the PGA and the PDGA. The PGA was excited to play at a whites only club (Augusta) until 1990 when Tiger Woods came along. To this day they still host some of their largest events at clubs that exclude women members.

Let's not be the PGA.

Last edited:
Please elaborate. Your vagueness makes me assume you agree there is no need for women on the DGWT?

So happy to see the Pro Tour take a stand on inclusion. We are a modern sport and we should lead with modern ideas.

Frankly I don't like comparing the PGA and the PDGA. The PGA was excited to play at a whites only club (Augusta) until 1990 when Tiger Woods came along. To this day they still host some of their largest events at clubs that exclude women members.

Let's not be the PGA.

Happy to. I agree there is no need for women's division on the DGWT.

I'm glad the DGPT has opened up a women's division, because there is some demand from spectators and players to have one. I look forward to taking my family (wife and 3 daughters) to the event in MN. I think the idea of a "Disc Festival" is awesome! Events going on all around, tents, people, companies, fans, oh yeah - and a tour of competition. Great for growing the sport in America at a grass roots level. It's a beautiful vision.

I'm also glad that the DGWT is focused on the competition. The DGWT to me is designed to showcase the highest level of disc golf play in the world. Access across the globe for the best disc golf talent to compete, film, and show that level of competition to the world in the best way they can. With media, branding, in the highest professional presentation they can. This goal - to host the highest competitive DG Tour in the world - is open to anyone. At the end of that tour, there will be a World Champion, the best disc golfer in the world, and they are going to bring that competition to the viewing fans.

Now, I'm not making the argument here that since it's 'open to everyone, therefore it is fair to women' as some have argued. I am in the minority of people that believe women are different than men, both are needed in society, and that both are good. I would argue that it IS unfair to women, but why should it be? The goal for DGWT is to hold a worldwide competition for the highest level of play, that's it. I'll probably get blasted for this, but why isn't there a division for the differently-abled people? It's not fair to them. Why not a Youth division, it's not fair to the kids - they can't throw as far. Competition isn't fairness, it's competition.

There is room for both tours then (good thing, huh?), and I don't believe either tour should be forced to do anything. We have a very odd sense of entitlement in the US, that we are owed anything we want because we want it, and think it should be so, and someone ought to do it for us.

The goal of the DGWT is simple - "One Division, One Champion"
The goal of the DGPT is simple - Watch. And Grow the Sport.

Makes it easy on me to figure out which tour to pay attention to--I'll be following the DGPT.

Steve and Jussi are approaching high level tournament disc golf differently and both are trying to break the mold of the same old tournaments we have had for 20+ years. Today vs 10+ years ago there are alot more tournaments, but payouts are pretty similar and the quality of events hasn't really improved that much with the exception of a few.

Maybe both will succeed, maybe both will fail. Either way I think what they are doing is great because its something DIFFERENT!

I personally think the DGPT has a higher chance of success because of all the companies working together as well as the much closer geographic proximity. One of the things that has held disc golf back imo is that so many events are only for 1 company to promote their products. Last weekend it was Innova/Discmania/Dude and thats it. I didn't see any local sponsors, or anyone else. Maybe in the future it will boost sales enough to make that ideal, but I don't see how a tournament can be a big success without local involvement. One of the things I've learned as a TD from Steve is to do whatever you can to bring in local businesses, even if its on a small scale.

The three best players in the world discuss the controversial LA Times article. Now on our YT page.

The three best players in the world discuss the controversial LA Times article. Now on our YT page.

The last minute of that video is extra good ;)

humility isn't saying "i'm not that good"
humility should be speaking the truth. being honest about what you can do and what you can't do. i would bet paul's answer was closer to what he said in the video, not quite how the 'quote' came out in the paper

i've had plenty of quotes go into the paper - and usually when you're doing a little DG article in the paper, they're not recording you. they're either typing while on the phone, or taking some notes while you talk and write it up later. either way, those quotes are usually not that close to verbatim, and pretty easily get some more edge to them, without the context and the 'feel' of a sound bite.

Easy for me too. I'll be following both. Will DGPT be doing mixed gender cards? Those are always fun to watch.

No, although I could see a mixed doubles alternate shot warmup event being a big hit. The PDGA competition manual states that players should play within their division and we agree with that.

This reminds me of something my brother in law said to me a few years ago. He knew that I had played fantasy baseball for years, although he had never played or heard of it much. Then I started playing disc golf... to him, another totally unknown sports related activity.

Without batting an eye when I told him about dg, he asked me if was was getting a subscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly." :D

But guess who plays a little dg himself these days!

This reminds me of something my brother in law said to me a few years ago. He knew that I had played fantasy baseball for years, although he had never played or heard of it much. Then I started playing disc golf... to him, another totally unknown sports related activity.

Without batting an eye when I told him about dg, he asked me if was was getting a subscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly." :D

But guess who plays a little dg himself these days!

Did it diminish your enjoyment of disc golf that he implied it was obscure? I'm still trying to understand why being on ESPN or whatever is supposed to enhance our playing experience.

Latest posts