• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

I think this is the crux of the matter. DGPT's whole vision from the start has been more spectators and more spectator-friendly. So if you can add at least something to make a hole more interesting for spectators - even if it is unconventional - then that's a plus.

I mean, we're all talking about it here, right? Mission accomplished.

Does it really make it more interesting? Maybe a little for drives and approaches. Maybe. I don't think it makes putting any more interesting.

Does it really make it more interesting? Maybe a little for drives and approaches. Maybe. I don't think it makes putting any more interesting.

I disagree. If you land behind one of those things, and not even immediately behind, it can make for a more difficult putt than you might otherwise have. It would seem that the intent is to use these things on greens that are otherwise clear of obstructions, meaning without them every putt on the green no matter where you land is a wide open look. With the trusses, there are now places on the green where you may have your stance or your line to the basket obstructed in some manner.

Putting, particularly at the highest levels of play, is downright boring within 25 feet or so unless the player is forced to take a stance or throw at an angle that is not ideal. The truss idea at least adds a little bit of intrigue and potential strategy into the mix.

I disagree. If you land behind one of those things, and not even immediately behind, it can make for a more difficult putt than you might otherwise have. It would seem that the intent is to use these things on greens that are otherwise clear of obstructions, meaning without them every putt on the green no matter where you land is a wide open look. With the trusses, there are now places on the green where you may have your stance or your line to the basket obstructed in some manner.

Putting, particularly at the highest levels of play, is downright boring within 25 feet or so unless the player is forced to take a stance or throw at an angle that is not ideal. The truss idea at least adds a little bit of intrigue and potential strategy into the mix.

Strategy? It will take a pro about 1-2 seconds longer to figure out the stance they need to take and the line they have to throw to get around a PuttTruss. I agree it will make some putts more difficult, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is more interesting to watch. I can appreciate the extra skill it might take for those more difficult putts, but that doesn't translate to more excitement and more viewers.

If they want to make it more interesting, if they want to make it more exciting, then make it more difficult to get on the green. Increase the number of longer putts for the viewers to see. Don't you find the 50' putts exciting? That little extra amount of time in the air creates more wonder and anticipation.

I want to see Paul McBeth and Simon Lizotte running at 50' and 60' footers. I don't care all that much about them stretching out a bit for a 25' straddle putt

If more challenge is needed on a hole, connect a big fat auger to a tractor and make some nice deep holes. Then slip some dead tree trunks into those holes. That will create challenges that last a long time for pretty cheap. No ads, no clowns. That's what I'd do if I wanted to make a hole harder and maintain the natural aspects of the game a bit more. If those were my goals, at least.

In terms of advertising, the trusses are nice looking and fit in as well as advertising can fit in a competition venue. In terms of adding challenge, those who attended Houck's workshop would recognize that if you only have one or two trees to work with, they will impact play more if they are near the tee versus the green. If they must be on the green to satisfy a sponsor, I would consider placing them maybe 3-5 feet from the basket to truly add challenge where players will sometimes need to shape the arc of their putts similar to several tree constrained but fair pin placements on Kaposia 1, Fountain, Sugaw, Barnett, Woodland Greens, Oak Grove, etc.

I have no problem at all with the trusses bearing advertisements. I also have no problem with adding them to make holes more interesting since the trend in high end events is unquestionably towards open otherwise boring courses which film well as opposed to truly great courses which test all elements of a player's game but have trees in the way of the video. (I dislike this trend quite a bit). I do question whether they should actually be wider than they are shown here to make actually landing where they effect the next shot less random. Of course that would in turn reduce "filmability".

At what point does the problem of disc golf not looking good on video become the problem of those filming it rather than the problem of those staging the event? At this juncture we are so happy to see anything available that the producers of video don't really seem to be being asked to step up their game (more than one camera, some stationary cameras, etc)- of course there is no reason for them to do so if they cannot profit from it.

See! High quality disc golf! Skip this playing out in the woods thing. Replace that ugly star in the middle of the field with an innova logo and you're ready to rock and roll.

I think Loki stated it best, if you're really interested in granularity, you can accomplish that by making it an island hole or similar. The arguments about scoring separation are a red herring. This is about advertising, straight up. We should at least have the guts to admit that. Then we can have an honest conversation, do we want to bracket the baskets with advertising? Financially, can a tournament director demand more money for trusses than for flag logos on the course? Are trusses going to bring new advertising dollars into the sport that weren't there before? Or will they simply redistribute ad dollars from flags to trusses? If they do bring in more money, are they going to bring in more money than they are going to cost us by moving spectators away from the sport because they look hokey? Please don't give me the "trusses are better than flag banners" argument. I'm reasonably certain that each is visible. The difference becomes shoving the ad in your face and the image that goes with that. I have no doubt it will be effective. Studies of marketing strategies show that offensive marketing is effective. They show that even when you force marketing into places where the public finds it annoying, it still works well. For me, the question becomes, what image do we want to portray for the sport....

At what point does the problem of disc golf not looking good on video become the problem of those filming it rather than the problem of those staging the event? At this juncture we are so happy to see anything available that the producers of video don't really seem to be being asked to step up their game (more than one camera, some stationary cameras, etc)- of course there is no reason for them to do so if they cannot profit from it.

Wait 2 more days, I think we're about to see the highest quality Live DG production to date. The Spin18 production will be 1.5 hours of Friday and Saturday's event at DGWT La Mirada, I have a feeling we'll get a good idea the level of video coverage we're capable of in 2016.

Strategy? It will take a pro about 1-2 seconds longer to figure out the stance they need to take and the line they have to throw to get around a PuttTruss. I agree it will make some putts more difficult, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is more interesting to watch. I can appreciate the extra skill it might take for those more difficult putts, but that doesn't translate to more excitement and more viewers.

If they want to make it more interesting, if they want to make it more exciting, then make it more difficult to get on the green. Increase the number of longer putts for the viewers to see. Don't you find the 50' putts exciting? That little extra amount of time in the air creates more wonder and anticipation.

I want to see Paul McBeth and Simon Lizotte running at 50' and 60' footers. I don't care all that much about them stretching out a bit for a 25' straddle putt

Exactly! 100% with this.
The focus should be on getting to the green rather then putting around a 1' post. If the post is 28' from the basket and a shot lands out of the circle how effective is that 6 foot tall 1 foot square post for the top players? I would venture a guess that most of the disc golfers at the event would have no trouble at all navigating posts near the basket.

You can change the short 3s or easy short 4s with a mandatory or 2 in the fairway or a manmade island like hole 17 at the USDGC.

Wait 2 more days, I think we're about to see the highest quality Live DG production to date. The Spin18 production will be 1.5 hours of Friday and Saturday's event at DGWT La Mirada, I have a feeling we'll get a good idea the level of video coverage we're capable of in 2016.

I'm certainly curious to see if they give us more than the standard two-cam coverage. They've certainly hyped it up like there is going to be some big stuff, but until we actually see it...

In 2015, on hole 3 at Maple Hill, Dave Feldberg, in gusting 30 MPH winds, threw one of most iconic aces in disc golf history. It was #2 in ESPN's Sports Center that night. We sat down with him to remember and review the shot.

Big thanks to Brad Beck from The Disc Eye for use of the footage.

The feed isn't working....unless its on my end, but the other YouTube videos are working fine

In 2015, on hole 3 at Maple Hill, Dave Feldberg, in gusting 30 MPH winds, threw one of most iconic aces in disc golf history. It was #2 in ESPN's Sports Center that night. We sat down with him to remember and review the shot.

Big thanks to Brad Beck from The Disc Eye for use of the footage.

FTFY

Unfortunately it seems that we are not capable of anything better this year other than adding an extra person color commentating and a few graphical images. I would also expect high quality coverage to at least cover a whole round of 18.

Unfortunately it seems that we are not capable of anything better this year other than adding an extra person color commentating and a few graphical images. I would also expect high quality coverage to at least cover a whole round of 18.

Yes I admit I was expecting more. I was expecting still cameras, more cuts to other action, etc. Instead it was a couple cameras walking around with the players, rehashing the same couple talking points over and over, waiting for players to throw real quick so they could get back to rehashing the same couple talking points. Oh well, it's great to see live coverage, but if it's only half the tourney, i was hoping it would be twice as good.

Better to get this commentary on the DGWT thread versus this one.

Is it match play for the points leaders at the end of the DGPT?

The Tour Championship is not match play. The short short version would be:

- The top 8 in Tour Points get a bye to the Semifinals
- Players 9-48 compete in the Quarterfinals, with the top 8 advancing
- This puts 16 players in the Semis. They compete as four foursomes.
- The winner of each foursome (stroke play) and one wildcard advance to the finals.
- The finals is one round with the winner walking away with $10K and the other four competitors getting $2K

http://www.discgolfprotour.com/tour-championship.html