• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

For standard tourneys, 4 rounds of 18 straight up, no final 9. Final 9s come off as gimmicky to me. I'm not so sure about worlds cutting back to 4 rounds, though. We'll see how that plays up. I think it should be 6 rounds, cut, then a final round.

Just played the Minnesota venues Blue Ribbon Pines and VisionQurst today.

BRP lots of tweaks and changes, new pin placements and new landscape. Most of the changes are for added difficulty and also added visual beauty. Going to be a great watch.

VQ new (long) tee pads on most holes adding difficulty and new looks at fairways. These guys have some big plans going in before the DGPT comes to town. Hope they get the resources and in time, it's quite a property, just stunning to look at when you drive up and around the course. Wonder ho they'll mark pars on all the holes, should add discussion! Also will be incredible to watch in person and on screen as well.

I'd be curious to see the new pads at VQ, even though I can't really throw currently.
I might have to get up there and spectate or even volunteer if I can make it work.

Final 9 is unnecessary. It's only use is to have a gallery following the leaders, to add some ceremony to the crowning of the winner. Better to just have a full round. 3 nice rounds.

If it were a half round more, then Speith wins the Masters by 5 strokes.

Final 9 is unnecessary. It's only use is to have a gallery following the leaders, to add some ceremony to the crowning of the winner. Better to just have a full round. 3 nice rounds.

If it were a half round more, then Speith wins the Masters by 5 strokes.

If it were a half round less, then McBeth loses the 2014 Worlds by 2 strokes

My two cents...

Things I like:

- Four Rounds of 18 and half the field cut from Rd 3 to Rd 4.
- Set Tee Times for Round 1 & 2. Tee Times set a few days before the Tournament starts for Rd 1 & 2 would let everyone know when they are playing in advance. Then set Round 3 & 4 by scores. This would make the broadcast schedule more concrete for the second day and could be published early. This would also make all players play one round in the morning and one in the afternoon to increase the odds of equaling out the elements.
- If you make it to the final round, you make some cash. My Goal would be even the last place person in final round makes their entry fee back.
- Round 4 starting earlier in the day on the final day so all participants have travel time after the final round. This should put the lead cards teeing off around 12:00 noon local time and finish up around 3:00 local time.
- If there is an AM Tourney going on at same time, have it shotgun early on final day so they would be finished about the time the lead cards are Teeing Off on #1 so they could watch the entire Final Round.

Good questions Steve!

If it were a half round less, then McBeth loses the 2014 Worlds by 2 strokes

Yes, but who would have won if they played twenty more rounds?

Paul seems to have this ability to crank it up through tournaments until he passes the leader, no matter who that is or when it is. He does fail sometimes, but not often.

I like the notion of a cut if that was yours Heaven? I puts more pressure on the guys around the cut, makes for a faster last round, or at least a different last round based on what's gone before.

I played the Little Woody this weekend with staggered start times on Sunday. The TD ran an Am C tier, the Little Woody run in the morning time slots on the course played by the Pros in the Open at Woodville in the afternoon. If you pull a cut after the first two rounds, then you leave a lot of room in the morning to run an Am event before kicking off the Pro tee times later. That brings in more revenue for the Pro payout, and an audience to watch the Pro round later in the day.

The only tricky thing with a cut is that it hasn't been done before...so we won't really have much of a basis of how many strokes it should be. Disc golf strokes can be a very swingy thing. Golf tends to stay...I don't want to say static....but more predictable I guess. So the whole within 10 strokes of the leader is more predictable. Idk just a thought. I really would like to see one, think it would be interesting...though on second thought idk if it would change anything. I mean it would cut out most of the non-touring pros but that is about it.

Also the final 9 is dumb. Just my opinion. See no place for it. And see absolutely no reason to have more than 4 rounds. And if we were to take worlds down to 4 rounds the amount of required courses would be lower for a City to host, which I feel like would lead to an uptic in the quality of courses. Seems like there were a lot of pros on record saying they didn't care for a couple of the courses at worlds last year.

Just my ramble.

The only tricky thing with a cut is that it hasn't been done before...so we won't really have much of a basis of how many strokes it should be. Disc golf strokes can be a very swingy thing. Golf tends to stay...I don't want to say static....but more predictable I guess. So the whole within 10 strokes of the leader is more predictable. Idk just a thought. I really would like to see one, think it would be interesting...though on second thought idk if it would change anything. I mean it would cut out most of the non-touring pros but that is about it.

Cuts have been a part of disc golf for years. Usually, they're are based on a specific number of players making it to the next round, not on how far off the leader a player is. Worlds has always cut to a specific number in each division before the semi-final round on Saturday, then obviously cut again to get the one group for the final 9. USDGC used to cut the field in half for the final day before the Performance Flight years essentially did it from the start. The Vibram Open also cuts the field in half before its final round.

As a matter of fact, with one exception, LetsPlayGolf's list of suggestions is exactly how the Vibram is run. The only thing that they don't do is maintain the same groupings for two days (USADGC does that, or at least they used to). Everything else...first groupings and tee times announced well in advance, four rounds with a cut before the final round, everyone making the cut getting paid...they do all that already. I think it's a fine model for the top events to emulate. Ideally a sustained pro tour would have most if not all events follow that model.

And see absolutely no reason to have more than 4 rounds. And if we were to take worlds down to 4 rounds the amount of required courses would be lower for a City to host, which I feel like would lead to an uptic in the quality of courses. Seems like there were a lot of pros on record saying they didn't care for a couple of the courses at worlds last year.

It would be interesting to hear some elaboration on the pro's issues with the courses.

Slippery Rock, I can see. But the others would be interesting to hear about.

the other courses had trees on them.

:doh: I was actually going to include that in my question, but didn't want to influence replies. :hfive:

In all seriousness, though, is this a serious reply and likely reason? I am just wondering as I have virtually no experience in getting pro's opinions first hand.

My daughter and I spoke with Philo after round five at Moraine and he only mentioned that he wasn't thrilled with his round. He didn't try to place any blame on the course, although I don't really remember getting an opinion of the course from him at the time.

Very nice guy by, btw, in my experience!

1. There will always be complaints about courses at worlds so such should be taken with a grain of salt.
2. Yes- serious reply and likely reason.

Bad karma to criticize a course before you're done with however many times you're playing it that tournament. ;)

1. There will always be complaints about courses at worlds so such should be taken with a grain of salt.
2. Yes- serious reply and likely reason.

Got it. Thanks.

Probably because I can't throw 400' hyzers over everything, but I MUCH prefer wooded courses with just a couple open holes. And if Moraine is "too wooded", :doh:. To each his own, I guess.

Not sure if it is quite a consensus, but it looks like the four round, cut after three, reverse morning/afternoon cards in round 2 is a good model for disc golf. Another thought that someone planted was a big qualifier event the day before, basically making it a five day event:

Day 1: Qualifier tournament, PDGA C-Tier - regional pros / advanced players play in a one division, one round, tee time tourney, top 36 get paid and/or earn a free spot into the tourney.
Day 2: Round 1 of tourney
Day 3: Round 2 of tourney, players that teed in AM in round 1, tee in PM in round 2 and vice versa
Day 4: Round 3 - moving day
Day 5: Cut to 72 players MPO / top half FPO - Final round

---

Note: this is by no means written in stone, it is simply where the Pro Tour is currently leaning. More discussion, like all discussion, will be read, digested and enjoyed.

Latest posts