• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

My sources say that the PDGA will post a formal response to Steve's article/blog. They will outline the lies that Steve posted and how difficult he has been to work with.

Get your popcorn ready people.

Great, so they're going to say that Steve is full of it.

Why should we take their word as gospel?

They could be lying as well.

There's a couple of options.

PDGA: We were hoping that Steve would just do whatever we said, but now that he's not were going to publicly trash him, even though he's trying to grow the sport. We're the ones who are growing the sport darnit.

Dodge: Hey man I'm just trying to make this thing work and those bullies won't let me. I'm just going to do my own thing then.

Considering that Dodge tried to work with the PDGA previously and was turned down,is very telling. They promised a future discussion and none was had. Seems like some saltiness on both sides remains.

Who knows maybe he's just full of it, but I'm skeptical of both sides.

Call me stupid, but I was having trouble figuring out the point and differences between the PDGA and DGPT/WT in the first place.

Now I read all up into it, and I get some understanding, and now poof they're completely seperate. No organization is perfect, and while I'm not a PDGA member yet, from my point of view, I don't see what the big deal is with everyone being skeptical/suspicious/against them. I mean, ponder this; where would disc golf be WITHOUT the PDGA?

It doesn't seem like we need all kinds of seperate tours going on all the time personally.

Paul's protest really also seemed odd to me. I respect the guy immensely and he seems like the best role model in disc golf (and of course competitor), but I disagree completely with his little protest. It seems like it was a reflex thing and he didn't think it through; it obviously didn't last long. Still a fan of him though, we all make mistakes (it wasn't a good move in my opinion).

I hope things work out for the better of our sport with both organizations, but I feel Steve Dodge is shooting himself in the foot.

There's my useless $0.02 ;)

Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

Care to copy/paste for us not on fb?

Sorry, I wandered off. McCoy is saying that some of the things in Dodge's essay are simply not true, and that the PDGA had trouble with him, as well. He states that he was Dodge's biggest supporter---that he was hoping to have his own Callaway Gardens event be part of the DGPT. It goes on and on.

It might not be true. Certainly the reflexive PDGA-bashers will assume it's not true. Myself, I have no idea, but I suspect it's the old story of 3 truths: Steve's truth, the PDGA's truth, and what actually happened.

Sorry, I wandered off. McCoy is saying that some of the things in Dodge's essay are simply not true, and that the PDGA had trouble with him, as well. He states that he was Dodge's biggest supporter---that he was hoping to have his own Callaway Gardens event be part of the DGPT. It goes on and on.

It might not be true. Certainly the reflexive PDGA-bashers will assume it's not true. Myself, I have no idea, but I suspect it's the old story of 3 truths: Steve's truth, the PDGA's truth, and what actually happened.

Spoke with Brian Graham this morning and he also outlined inaccuracies in Dodge's article. Lot of layers to this, will have more tomorrow.

In the meantime, does it bother anyone that someone would sanction with the PDGA, work out whatever scheduling issues with them, get the advantage of being on the PDGA calendar, have players commit, make travel and lodging plans.....and then unsanction it a few days before? Were it a normal tournament, I think I'd feel baited and switched. Probably not an issue with the series championship. But does it say anything about the person self-appointed to lead the Future of Professional Disc Golf?

So the PDGA has no say in these upcoming tournaments at all? How come DGPT can dictate a non-sanctioning, and that's that?

Lot of layers to this, will have more tomorrow.

Finish the story man!
tumblr_lmwwuzslN81qbhnrvo1_1280.png

Assuming we can all agree Bradley Williams' behavior at the Ledgestone Open deserves a suspension of some sort. Six month, one year, 18 months, whatever. It is fairly cut and dry.

Steve Dodge stated his desire to be a part of the PDGA disciplinary process when it involves DGPT events. Do we know with certainty that Steve will allow Bradley to play this weekend? If so, I think that decision will hurt Steve's credibility with regards to his requests/demands of the PDGA. He will not be building a case for himself to be a part of the PDGA's disciplinary process if he shows poor judgement in this particular situation.

Williams is suspended for the remainder of the DGPT season per DGPT.com...
DGPT.com said:
Bradley Williams committed two DGPT Class B infractions. Due to these infractions, Bradley will miss the remainder (Discraft's GMC and the Tour Championship) of the Pro Tour season. During the off-season, we will finalize the Pro Tour Disciplinary Process and what appropriate punishment should be taken per Class A and Class B infraction. Bradley's suspension may be increased based on these conversations.

Infraction Classes:
Class A, Fines: Behavioral amongst oneself
Class B, Suspensions & Fines: Cheating, Endangering, Behavior affecting players

Disciplinary Panel:
One DGPT representative (Steve Dodge)
One player representative (Nate Doss)
One TD representative (Jeff Spring)

This was totally the right move. If Bradley would have been allowed to play it would have made a difficult situation worse.

Last night he said Bradley would be allowed to play the Championship since it is now I sanctioned. Got tone of blowback from people commenting and from JVD, IIRC. Seems like he has changed his mind now or was out voted by the other two.

Last night he said Bradley would be allowed to play the Championship since it is now I sanctioned. Got tone of blowback from people commenting and from JVD, IIRC. Seems like he has changed his mind now or was out voted by the other two.

Interesting. Thanks.

I just listened to it again and that is not what he said. He said that he was going to form this committee and they were going to meet today and decide an action. He said there was a possibility BW could play in the final, but there was going to be a disciplinary meeting.

I like that they put two different categories of discipline. Most of the infractions on the pdga list are TD's that did not pay their fees.

Easy... raise $$ locally. I raised $3000 for a C-tier in Jefferson City, MO 2 years ago. $1000 added cash and all player packs paid for. ZERO am $$ used to fund pros. The Disc Golf Monkey Tour in that area has done it this way for nearly 10 years... again NO AM $$ EVER USED TO PAY PROS. Check last week's stop in Nixa, MO... Rec winner scored $161 voucher because all the AM $$ stayed in the am pool. The added cash came from sponsors.

I know other TD's do it, but that's because that's easier than fund raising from businesses. I call it lazy if you ask me. So it can be done if you work hard to do it.

How many pros are currently playing in a National Tour Event?? 100? How many spectators can a DGPT expect without an army of ams in town to play the event?

Cash grab, #discgolfrich-style.

Cash grab? What cash? Lol.

All the cash from the ams.......who are not there. :hfive:

Don't count on that. Your PDGA events will still have pro divisions with local pros playing in them.

For the great majority of us, a divorce between the PDGA and these tours doesn't mean squat.

Yup. Big difference maker to a few dozen disc golfers. That should be an excellent marketing platform.

Williams is suspended for the remainder of the DGPT season per DGPT.com...

Wait, the DGPT already has a set of rules and guidelines and a disciplinary committee??

So DGPT events are non sanctioned, but will use all rules, guidelines and standards of the PDGA? These happen all over the country, many much larger and with more participants than most of the DGPT events. None of this really impacts me, I don't really have any problem with the decision. I don't think there is enough interest in this game for anyone to really be impacted.