• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

dehaas said:
Leopard said:
New rampageous rumor: all pros to Southern Nats built for camera.

What if the PDGA were to dissolve altogether and 4 super regional tournament series formed, kind of similar to all of the conference shenanigans in college sports.

All I know about the Southern Nationals is what I've seen online. Do the events bring a big turnout and is it set up and ran well? Around here there are a lot of smaller local club run events and a few sanctioned events a year.

The college conferences are changing but the umbrella organization and sanctioning body, the NCAA, remains the same.

If the PDGA ceased another would be created to replace it. The rules, the technical specs, the National and World Championships, the ratings, etc. all need an umbrella organization.

umbrella_corp1.jpg

Heard some stuff today...sounds like DD is going to be making discs. Apparently, they would become something like the USA affiliate of Latitude 64, much like Discmania is the European affiliate of Innova. Pros sponsored by DD and any other disc manufacturer are being forced to choose. Since they can use DD and Lat 64 discs, and the terms may be better for DD sponsored pros, looks like there will be a big migration.

JHern said:
Heard some stuff today...sounds like DD is going to be making discs. Apparently, they would become something like the USA affiliate of Latitude 64, much like Discmania is the European affiliate of Innova. Pros sponsored by DD and any other disc manufacturer are being forced to choose. Since they can use DD and Lat 64 discs, and the terms may be better for DD sponsored pros, looks like there will be a big migration.

JHern said:

Thank you for coming to us with news a month old.

In actuality the molds for DD discs are purely DD owned, Lat64 just manufactures the discs for them. Same thing as with Westside.

Ryan C said:
Sounds like he is serious, but that's hard to believe.

No, I admit, I've just been too busy with other stuff to pay much attention, and coming late to all of this...

JHern has really let us down on this one. How can he be the TMZ of disc golf after that performance?

well 'tis the season and all that. but I think we're all a bit worn out with rumor and speculation. I think whomever or whatever is doing this big change needs to put out an official teaser announcement announcing the coming announcement of change that will announce the total change of the face of disc golf.

I heard a rumor that Butler, Xavier, and Dayton are going to join the Catholic 7 to form a 10 team conference free of FBS BS. The Big East Conference will sell their name to the C7 beginning with the 2014-15 BBall season and dissolve. Nice to see basketball driving the bus for a change.

I hate to be the wet blanket here but I still think that companies seriously overestimate the money to be made within disc golf. Those of us who seriously keep track of the sport online are a very small minority. I'd guess roughly the same as the number of disc golfers who play tournaments. The guys we all see out there on the course who throw once in a while and own like 4 discs are the vast majority of those in the game. Granted, our small minority spends most of the money in the game. Bags, shoes, 20 discs just for playing plus backups and collectibles, clothing. We do spend alot but it's usually in spurts spread out ever few years. Most, however, got into the game because it's cheap. Most courses are free to play, buy or 'find' a disc or two for throwing. It's very hard to make a buck in the game. Also, this vast majority often has no idea there is a PDGA, let alone Pros at this game. Thoughts are a bit disorganized just now, but you guys get the gist.

Leopard said:
dstearns5 said:
JHern has really let us down on this one. How can he be the TMZ of disc golf after that performance?
He's still our TMZ... he let us know that Nate, Val, and Avery aren't going anywhere. 8)

Actually, Nate and Val are moving to Bend, OR, to brew beer in a serious way, and be able to afford to rent a place (hard to do in the Cruz!).

This whole Disc Golf Prodigy thing is all hype. Yeah, so we're going to hear some big "plans" in 2013. Plans mean nothing, let's see what they actually accomplish. I'm not holding my breath, let's see where they're at in 2015.

There might be a lot of money to be made in disc golf and Val and Nate may have hit the nail on the head product selection wise. 6x world champion beer anyone? Slurp :p Guess which product sells the most at tourneys etc. after that if it's good?

I visited Bend, OR this past summer and sampled over 70 beers in one day. :) Great town!

JR said:
There might be a lot of money to be made in disc golf and Val and Nate may have hit the nail on the head product selection wise. 6x world champion beer anyone? Slurp :p Guess which product sells the most at tourneys etc. after that if it's good?
mark12b said:
I visited Bend, OR this past summer and sampled over 70 beers in one day. :) Great town!

Yeah, we're sad to see them go, but they made a great move, I think. Craft beer is a growth industry and excellent career prospect, so they can channel their passions into something that will actually pay off in the long-term. They are passionate about it, love the work, and all of you know how intense their focused efforts can be...my wife and I keep thinking about how cute and awesome their kids would be (if/when they decide to procreate).