• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

JHern said:
I've been talking with some of the team, one of the interesting things is that the ladies are being treated on equal ground with the guys...very rare in any sporting venture.

Awesome. They should be.

I'm just speculating but women have greater growth potential as disc consumers. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country but I don't run into a bunch of ladies out on the course.

yes the potential is there for the ladies. I don't think the old boys in the pdga have figured out how to get them involved. Hell I can't figure out how to get my wife to play more than once a year. not necessarily a bad thing.

chainsmoker said:
I'm just speculating but women have greater growth potential as disc consumers. I'm sure it's different in other parts of the country but I don't run into a bunch of ladies out on the course.
That's the thing - people don't usually pay for "potential" (NFL first round draft picks excluded :D) - they usually pay for results. The women don't have near the visibility or fame (as limited as it is for the guys, it's even less for the women).

Good for them... I'm just saying maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense. Anyway, it's all speculation in the end. The $10k may or may not be accurate, but I'm leaning towards "not accurate." Maybe they got $10k in stock options... and Phil and the others have $500k each. :)

Maybe its just me, but I wish they would tone down their delusions of grandeur and try to keep things in perspective. No reason for them to call themselves revolutionary when their first discs were just PDGA approved yesterday, and aren't even in production. Their Facebook page is overflowing with peoples' comments along the lines of, "oMgsh take my money now i wuld do ne thing 4 a prodigy disc". What have they done to warrant genuine excitement other than pay the top golfers to join their team?

JHern mentioned something about growing the sport instead of slicing the pie into ever smaller bites. The sport is growing even without the contributions of the disc golf companies but their involvement pay many of the top events that will attract some people that would not otherwise come into the sport. Every bit of help counts. Paying the same for the ladies for the first time ever might help this generation of female disc golfers make a living as pros unlike earlier generations. That in itself is a boon for future female players. Not everyone can make a living in this sport in the future but the fact that even some can is great and probably cannot hurt.

Think of Naterie maybe they can lead a normal life if Val earned as much as Nate does playing. Instead of possibly both going into business in another field. The same goes for many of the current elite female players that earn a little money. But how much of it goes to expenses now? If they started to make a profit playing at top level their career might be longer and thus more inspirational to other women. That might take the plunge and try to make a living by playing. More women, more interest from the sponsors thus more money thus win for everyone. Somebody had to start to grow the women's side of disc golf and my hat is off to DGP for taking the first step toward equality in disc golf.

Some dude on DGCR says that one of the plastics is just like CE and has the same durability. It's amazing that someone can tell how durable a disc is after they throw it once or twice.

dstearns5 said:
Some dude on DGCR says that one of the plastics is just like CE and has the same durability. It's amazing that someone can tell how durable a disc is after they throw it once or twice.
consider the source... :lol:

If you're talking about Chris, he's bff's with Will and has thrown them more than once or twice. He knows his plastic but us admittedly biased.

Price point of 20-25 seems high though.

jsun3thousand said:
a company has to be worth something before they can issue stock.
You can own shares of a company that isn't publicly traded. It's just a way of divvying up ownership in a company that isn't directly on whole percentages.

abcd said:
Price point of 20-25 seems high though.
If that's the price point at which they come out perhaps they'll be more strict about tolerances. I think people would pay for consistency.

keltik said:
yes the potential is there for the ladies. I don't think the old boys in the pdga have figured out how to get them involved. Hell I can't figure out how to get my wife to play more than once a year. not necessarily a bad thing.

Sometimes it's nice to have different interests. If a lot of guys aren't going to push their significant others to join them for lovey lines through the woods, how does one grow the sport and attract potentially more exciting I wanna be like her super star females. Pay them $$$ and make a dream team??? TV :wink: More courses.

DG could use some big time healthy exposure. If enough folks could see throwing discs as a inexpensive way for a healthy life style then they'd be more willing to consider adding or improving courses in local communities and state parks. It's a drop in the bucket for big cities's budgets and they could share/convert the wasted land from unused ball golf courses or fairgrounds. Memphis spends thousands on annual plants that we replace three times a year. We've built skate parks. Those same workers could pour new pads and budget for baskets with the assistance of the local disc golf community and pros like from prodigy to create more compelling courses to play. If folks could see the real pros bomb a disc they might get hooked.

Maybe the pdga should contact Michelle Obama isn't her FLOTUS mission supposed to be childhood obesity? or was that last term? anyway I think John Duesler should be the one to present to the First Lady.

facebook_-1322325466.jpg