• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a couple possibilities. Of course, I wasn't going for the obvious where there's an optional drop zone or rethrow from previous lie. The first one is when a player's drive comes to rest in a tree but then drops out and rolls OB before the group gets there. Under old rule, the disc is OB. Under new rule, the player marks under where it came to rest in the tree with no penalty, presuming the 2 meter rule was not in effect. The next one is where the OB line around water is marked by stakes. The water is higher than normal and the TD has declared water outside the OB staked area as casual. The other one JPitt commented on was the steep bank where the mark might be way up the bank from where the disc went out and still be within 1 meter of the OB plane using rule of verticality. This could even extend to marking on a bridge over OB water that the TD did not declare the whole bridge IB or OB. The disc could roll in the OB creek and be marked on the IB side of the vertical OB plane that passes right up through the bridge surface.

New question. This was posed by a td I know. What do ya lol think?

I'm toying with a new idea for this year's event. I love the contours of the ground near the sand traps, but with the traps OB, it becomes harder to be aggressive.

Proposed new rule : Discs that land in the bunker will be placed on the opposite side of bunker and then played from outside the bunker -- no penalty. When a disc lands in the bunker, a straight line will be drawn from the pole of the basket, through the center of the disc, to the other side of the bunker. Disc is placed on the edge of the bunker (within 1 meter from the rim) and played with no penalty.

I'm toying with a new idea for this year's event. I love the contours of the ground near the sand traps, but with the traps OB, it becomes harder to be aggressive.

Proposed new rule : Discs that land in the bunker will be placed on the opposite side of bunker and then played from outside the bunker -- no penalty. When a disc lands in the bunker, a straight line will be drawn from the pole of the basket, through the center of the disc, to the other side of the bunker. Disc is placed on the edge of the bunker (within 1 meter from the rim) and played with no penalty.

This makes it sound like a game where someone has a bad shot and gets lucky to move directly to go and collect 200 dollars, while someone else placed his shot over with skill without such reward.

I've got a couple possibilities. Of course, I wasn't going for the obvious where there's an optional drop zone or rethrow from previous lie. The first one is when a player's drive comes to rest in a tree but then drops out and rolls OB before the group gets there. Under old rule, the disc is OB. Under new rule, the player marks under where it came to rest in the tree with no penalty, presuming the 2 meter rule was not in effect. The next one is where the OB line around water is marked by stakes. The water is higher than normal and the TD has declared water outside the OB staked area as casual. The other one JPitt commented on was the steep bank where the mark might be way up the bank from where the disc went out and still be within 1 meter of the OB plane using rule of verticality. This could even extend to marking on a bridge over OB water that the TD did not declare the whole bridge IB or OB. The disc could roll in the OB creek and be marked on the IB side of the vertical OB plane that passes right up through the bridge surface.

A bridge over ob, is itself ob to the vertical plane of the OB line unless specifically declared in bounds by td? Just wondering if that's what you meant.

This makes it sound like a game where someone has a bad shot and gets lucky to move directly to go and collect 200 dollars, while someone else placed his shot over with skill without such reward.

The good shot is close and just fine. The bad shot gets moved a little farther away. I thought it was an interesting option to keep the bunkers important without the heavy penalty of an OB stroke. Depending which way you went into the bunker of course. From basket side or opposite side.

This is already an option called a buncr that's been played since 2007. It's allowed under Special Conditions rule 805.03. You can play buncrs with line of play relief as you suggested which is good for buncrs near baskets. Or, you can specify a drop zone with no penalty. or, you can do it like the USDGC where you rethrow without penalty from the previous lie but still counting that throw into the buncr.

Last edited:
A bridge over ob, is itself ob to the vertical plane of the OB line unless specifically declared in bounds by td? Just wondering if that's what you meant.
The section of the bridge directly above the OB water or stake lines is OB unless the TD declares the whole bridge either OB or IB.

No need for the "meter" part of the rule. The bunker is in front of the (new) lie, so there should be a good place to take a stance all the way up to the edge. Also, there is no "meter" mentioned in 803.01 B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance.

Here is the everyday rule printed on the score cards at Fort Snelling

"4. The sand bunkers are Casual Obstacles. Mark your lie on the far side of the bunker, in line with your disc and the basket. No penalty."

Which is more than you need. All you need to do is declare the bunkers to be casual obstacles. How to play them is in the rulebook.

Unless you want to force players to take relief, then you need to state that.

No need for the "meter" part of the rule. The bunker is in front of the (new) lie, so there should be a good place to take a stance all the way up to the edge. Also, there is no "meter" mentioned in 803.01 B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance.

Here is the everyday rule printed on the score cards at Fort Snelling

"4. The sand bunkers are Casual Obstacles. Mark your lie on the far side of the bunker, in line with your disc and the basket. No penalty."

Which is more than you need. All you need to do is declare the bunkers to be casual obstacles. How to play them is in the rulebook.

Unless you want to force players to take relief, then you need to state that.

Simply declaring an area a "casual obstacle" doesn't really accomplish anything since casual relief is never required. You really have to require that relief be taken in order for it to be noteworthy at all.

OK, this is the question I have.
63881_511924148825841_2001548016_n.jpg

This picture is taken from the OB side of the fence. The other side, with the basket, is in bounds. Is the disc OB? It's on the fair side of the chain link, but the disc pushed the chain link out as it stuck between the top rail and the chain link. But it is on the OB side of the top rail.

According to 808 QA 10, the fence OB line is a flexible OB line. Although the question addresses a different scenario, I think the principle still applies. My argument is that the OB line flexed with the disc wedging itself, so the disc is in fact fair.

Argue away.

OK, this is the question I have.
63881_511924148825841_2001548016_n.jpg

This picture is taken from the OB side of the fence. The other side, with the basket, is in bounds. Is the disc OB? It's on the fair side of the chain link, but the disc pushed the chain link out as it stuck between the top rail and the chain link. But it is on the OB side of the top rail.

According to 808 QA 10, the fence OB line is a flexible OB line. Although the question addresses a different scenario, I think the principle still applies. My argument is that the OB line flexed with the disc wedging itself, so the disc is in fact fair.

Argue away.

IMO of course it's in bounds. The rules state a disc must fully surrounded by the out of bounds area and the line is considered in play. The fence is the line and it is inside the fence so good to go

IMO of course it's in bounds. The rules state a disc must fully surrounded by the out of bounds area and the line is considered in play. The fence is the line and it is inside the fence so good to go

Wrong. The line is considered part of the OB.

If the fence is the line, I'd call it out because it is between two pieces of that fence.

That said, fences make ****ty OB lines.

The argument my friends had was that the disc was on the OB side of where the line is. They say the line is where the fence is supposed to be. The disc moved the fence, not the line. I say 808 QA 10 says the line does move with the fence, so it's fair.

Wrong. The line is considered part of the OB.

If the fence is the line, I'd call it out because it is between two pieces of that fence.

That said, fences make ****ty OB lines.

Sorry I mistyped that... the OB line is considered part of the OB... But in this situation the fence is the ob Line and it is clearly inside of the fence.

The argument my friends had was that the disc was on the OB side of where the line is. They say the line is where the fence is supposed to be. The disc moved the fence, not the line. I say 808 QA 10 says the line does move with the fence, so it's fair.

Where the OB line is supposed to be??? What does that mean? The fence is the boundary line, unless you physically went there and moved the fence yourself the line is where the line is. So what if the OB line was a body of water... the water level dropped from the previous day and you land in the mud where the water was? Would they argue you were OB because that was where the water was yesterday?

Even if we consider all components of the fence OB including the pipe, only part of the disc is wedged between OB elements with the majority of the disc in IB territory.

Here's something from the rule book.QA 10: Fences as OB Lines
Q:
My disc hit a flexible fence from the OB side. Was the disc briefly over in-bounds when the fence flexed, or perhaps by having slightly penetrated a hole in the fence?

A:
No. The fence defines an OB plane which flexes as the fence flexes. Unless the disc has penetrated and remained lodged within the fence, the fence is considered to be a continuous impenetrable surface. Your disc was not in-bounds at any point when it struck the fence. Applicable Rules:
804.04 Out-of-Bounds.

So, it's a different scenario, but it establishes that the OB line flexes with the fence. If that's the case, then the OB line flexed and my disc is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.