• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf shoes- you have a favorite

Some people earlier in the thread have questioned the durability of Merrell's, but I've been impressed with the durability of mine. My Moab Ventilators have lasted longer than every other pair of sneakers I've owned recently.

I think the durability issue is directly related to the conditions where the shoes are used. While we do not have any mountain courses around here, we are constantly dealing with some combination of rain, snow and mud except for about 2 months during the summer season.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am guessing that down in GA you do not have to worry about that as much.

If only they made tennis (actual sport, not generic label) shoes with more treaded soles, and possibly gore-tex. I mean think about it. They're made specifically for a sport where:
1) You drag your toe during every serve.
2) You sprint and stop laterally...pretty much all the time.
3) You pivot and cross...also pretty much all the time.
4) You do this, putting a retarded amount of stress on the shoe, for a couple hours a match.
Mechanically, they would be ideal. But really only on concrete pads. The tread isn't made for terrain, and they aren't made to be waterproof. It's a shame really.
And trust me, the support in the shoes is real. Try playing a match in running or cross-training shoes, and then play a round in actual tennis shoes. It's amazing how much more control you have, since most shoes are designed for heel-to-toe motions, and not side-to-side motions in mind.

That being said, I just picked up a pair of Moab Gore-tex and they are comfy as hell. Had to after the sole on my Helly Hansen trail-runners started to go.
And REI will take returns no questions asked with no time limit. If you feel you didn't get your money's worth out of them, they'll take it back. Of course, you get a few greedy and shady people, but most shady people don't shop at REI thankfully.

Wilson makes some kickass (pun intended) tennis shoes. I had a pair back in the day and they lasted forever due to the tough tread and toe.

vibram-five-fingers-shoes.png
I saw a guy wearing these the other day. And they freaked me out.

Ditto!

Wilson makes some kickass (pun intended) tennis shoes. I had a pair back in the day and they lasted forever due to the tough tread and toe.

No question they'll last. I had a pair of Prince shoes back in high school. The only real problem I'd see is that the soles aren't the kind like on light hiking shoes (merrell moab) or trail runners (the salomons). They're made for flat, fairly even surfaces. So really it just depends on the courses you play at. If you have to do some playing through terrain, they might not be as surefooted. But if you don't need hikers, I'd definitely look into them.

I had a pair of non gore-tex Merrell Moab Ventilators that I loved until they packed in and weren't supportive. they had a good 2 year run. I had some limited success with some new balance trail runners but wore them out. I bought some Vasque trail runners and the rubber part of the sole started peeling off after 2 rounds. Got them replaced but ended up buying another pair of Merrells (gore tex this time)

I am wondering if I should cash in on the REI return policy on the original Merrells though.... a second pair wouldnt be that horrible.

I where Cross Trainers. and I prefer Brooks for the brand. I have very wide feet and they make one of the few shoes that fit comfortably and still allow me to get around a course.

Gotta go with Timberlands or Merrells, now that vibram makes discs it's cool to have that logo on your foot.

I where Cross Trainers. and I prefer Brooks for the brand. I have very wide feet and they make one of the few shoes that fit comfortably and still allow me to get around a course.

I wouldn't say I have very wide feet, but I always have to buy wide shoes...and even then I feel as though my toes are scrunched sometimes. Thinking of getting toe socks as I think that's part of the problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts