• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf shoes: Your choice and why

Bite. I have tried Merrell, Puma, Adidas, and several others. The problem is I tear my disc golf shoes up at an alarming rate. I have been more than impressed with my Bite's. Oh, it helps that I got them on Amazon.com at some liquidation rate (or something) of like $15.

I haven't tried a pair of Bite's but my Merrell hiking boots are great at wearing slowly. The toe on them much higher than trail shoes or cross-trainers and is covered in rubberabout a 1/2 inch to an inch higher so that provides much better protection. I used my asics running shoes for a while and absolutely shredded them. While very comfortable I don't recommend them for disc golf. However my Merrells have resisted the same wear very well and also have the added advantage of a mid-boot which protects ankles from being sprained or turned and they are waterproof so I can tredge into 3 or 4 inch deep water and my feet stay bone dry unlike other shoes. Merrells can be a bit more expensive than some other shoes but depending on how often you have to buy replacments the cost might be worth it. I wouldn't recommend going all out and getting gore-tex Merrels though because they can be considerably more expensive for just disc golf shoes; however you can get waterproof Merrells that aren't gore-tex and I don't see a difference except you pay for the word gore-tex on your shoes.

These look like the mother of all disc golf shoes
MCSR.jpg

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/INV0012/Inov-8-Mudclaw-270-Trail-Running-Shoe-Mens.html#

I used to play in cleats but after 3 knee surgeries I decided that was a bad idea. Now I play in very lightweight trail running shoes. If I slip a little I just remember that it's better than sticking in one place and over torquing your knee.

These are the current ones that I'm using now. The only bad thing about them is that they don't hold up very well on concrete. I will probably only get about 9 months out of them. The cool thing about them is that they're so light it almost feels like you're not wearing anthing at all. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on.

http://www.newbalance.com/outdoor/trail/MR790/

I worry about the same issue. I'd much rather slip a little from time to time than have the cleat stick and the foot not pivot. I've got an old pair of Nike Trail running shoes that work well.

jester-shoes.jpg

Maybe these can be the official DG Course Review choice of footwear!

They could be embroidered with the DGCR Logo and sold here for a nominal fee. As a bonus, I think the chicks would really dig them-just in case the whole disc golf angle doesn't impress them (I'm married so I'm oblivious to it all anyway).;)

The "toe wear" problem is simply a form issue. Throwing sidearm you have to transfer your weight to the plant foot completely while picking up the other foot not dragging the toe on the concrete. I used to be a foot dragger so I know. It feels a little awkward at first because you have to conciously think to do it but stay with it and it will begin to come naturally. Not to mention you will gain distance and accuracy. Oh yeah...and your shoes will last longer, no matter what shoe you decide to buy :p

I just bought some La Sportiva B5 Approach shoes - they have rubberized toes and should hold up pretty well. -The tread isnt too aggressive. I had been eyeing the "cleat shoes" because when i am not at a course i throw on grass - which is apparently the most slippery surface ever - i always slip when pivoting doing my x step - afraid i'll kill my legs. But then i realized the courses i play on are mostly in the woods - and the tboxes are dirt / cement - and not like grass.

I'm proud to say that I've never had a camel "toe" problem that everyone else here seems to have.

I'm proud to say that I've never had a camel "toe" problem that everyone else here seems to have.

Although it likes you could have one by the looks of your picture there bro. ;)

thread resurection!! lol

i know this thread has not been touched in few months, but i didnt want to start a new one since it has already been talked about here... my roommate has the COOLEST disc shoes i have ever seen so i felt like i should share with you guys....

scottsshoes.jpg

what do u think??

I often play in Timberland Pro steel toe work boots water proof, The weight is not an issue because I wear them at work. I also play in Etnies or a cross trainer type from Reebok Nike or Sketcher.

A good pair of sneakers works fine for me, as long as the course isn't sloppy. I've even played in dressy black leather shoes, though I didn't play well in them.

I wear a pair of Columbia hiking boots. They really come in handy when playing Fox Chase.

Goulashes?

I wear Adidas and New Balance all terrain running shoes. They work great for me in all circumstances except mud and snow. I'm very picky about shoes and have tried on dozens of alternatives that might handle bad weather conditions better with no success.

It may be crazy, but I'm thinking about getting some goulashes to try them out. And if they're too slippery in the mud, I might get some snow & ice tread straps that I've seen at Wally World. It might be a nightmare, but might be better than soaking wet feet and mud caked toes. :eek:

i recently picked up a pair of Merrell Outland Mid GTX hiking boots. beefy vibram sole is great for the ups and downs around the santa cruz and marina courses. they are comfy right out of the box and pretty light for a mid cut hiking boot.

my only gripes about them are the cheap laces and they can get pretty warm when the temp. rises. i take out the insoles and stuff them with newspaper after i play usually.

i'll probably switch to a trail runner when it's less soupy out.

I often play in Timberland Pro steel toe work boots water proof, The weight is not an issue because I wear them at work. I also play in Etnies or a cross trainer type from Reebok Nike or Sketcher.

x2 on the timberland pro steel toe's...i wear them almost exclusively when I play...they grip quite well on concrete tees in slightly damp conditions...

i wear Nike air legend turf soccer shoes. they are made out of kangaroo leather and the turf grip is great. (I usually play on dirt tees, use others when on concrete)
turfshoes.jpg

chuck taylor all-stars, all the way! why, i initially bought them to wear while drumming, the thin sole is great for better feeling the drum pedals under my feet, but i liked them so much that i wear them almost exclusively now. great for disc golfing, at least for me, but they are a little slick in wet conditions.

Merrells...all the way. Sandals, Low tops...whatever. They work well.

Latest posts