• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Trips You've Taken

I just went on my first trip!

Day 1
Tom Triplett, GA
Day 2
Loriella Park, VA
Rockburn Branch, MD
Day 3
Tyler State Park, PA
Day 4
Rutgers, Douglass College, NJ
Day 5
Putting practice (didn't have the car)
Day 6
Brakewell Steel / Warwick Town Park, NY
Day 7
Giles Run @ Laurel Hill Park, VA
Day 8
Luther Britt Park, NC
Tom Triplett, GA
Northside Park, FL

Wahoo, it was a great trip. On the way up everything was snowy and freezing cold. On the way back it was great weather, 70's or better. Almost got in Bryan Park, VA on day one but daylight savings time got me good.

Now that is putting some miles on the car!

used to do alot of road trips to the midatlantic when i was living in virginia...one that sticks out in particular consisted of 7 courses in 2 days..driving from va. beach, va. to whitehall, pa. nothing like shooting brandywine in the wind and rain!! i miss my old disc golf buddies "down there"...

So far, my DG trips have been short trips in the Carolinas.
The last one included;
Crooked Creek
Earlewood
Reedy Creek
Rankin Lake

My ultimate dream trip would be a combined fully-loaded bicycle camping tour with disc golf in Oregon.

Once I did 13 courses in two days - all in Oregon. We left Seattle on Friday night, and stayed w/Tom Embree in Eugene. Got up Saturday morning and went west to Coos Bay - played 2 courses there. Then went back to I-5 and headed South to Grants Pass, playing virtually every Greg Guthrie course out there - all the way to Medford (at least 5 courses) then finished w/ an object course before heading back to Eugene for the night, than hit several more on the way to/in and around Portland on Sunday. Probably 600 miles driving - pretty intense weekend of golf :)

Once I did 13 courses in two days - all in Oregon. We left Seattle on Friday night, and stayed w/Tom Embree in Eugene. Got up Saturday morning and went west to Coos Bay - played 2 courses there. Then went back to I-5 and headed South to Grants Pass, playing virtually every Greg Guthrie course out there - all the way to Medford (at least 5 courses) then finished w/ an object course before heading back to Eugene for the night, than hit several more on the way to/in and around Portland on Sunday. Probably 600 miles driving - pretty intense weekend of golf :)
Sounds like the perfect recipe for sensory overload !
So, what are the Oregon must-plays, besides those in the top ten ?

I was lucky enough to get in three great discing trips last spring and summer. Last Memorial Day weekend, I drove down into Oregon (without my wife). Stayed at my brother in laws house and hit 17courses in two and a half days. A total disc golfing experience.

Later a June, I was able to combine Disc golf with a visit to my daughters, a friend's wedding, some wine tasting and a little vacationing, all in one. The wife and I drove across Washington (7 courses) into Idaho (5 courses), just barely into Montana (2 courses) and then down into central Oregon for the wedding (4 courses). We did enough other things to keep my wife happy and she let me play, lots!

And then later in July, we flew into Tennessee to watch my son umpire some AA Southern League baseball games. I was able to hit courses in Arkansas (1 course), Mississippi (2 courses), Georgia (2 courses) and of course, Tennessee (8 courses) all the while touristing, Graceland, Dollywood, Nashville, Grand Ole Opry, Civil War Sites, etc. I played many of these courses early, like 7 AM while the wife was still sleeping or getting ready.

It's amazing how this site motivates me get out and experience new courses and helps with the planning of complicated trips such as these.

Keep in mind that I took that trip in about 1996 - so there are a bunch of courses there now that weren't then. My favorite of course is Whistlers Bend. But that wasn't one of the 13 we played. The course in Coos Bay is pretty sweet, as is Timber Park in Estacada. Tom Pearce Park (Grants Pass) is good but not great - but if you're in Southern Oregon - it's probably the best available.
McIver was brand new and I think only nine permanent holes when I played it - but is purportedly one of the best they have now.
I think the funnest in Northern Oregon was a temporary course inside the city limits called Mt Tabor - they used to get access to the park once a year to set up the course - and it was AWESOME. Haven't seen any reference to it for a while, so maybe they aren't able to use it anymore. And being a temp course - of course I don't get to take credit for having played it :(

Keep in mind that I took that trip in about 1996 - so there are a bunch of courses there now that weren't then. My favorite of course is Whistlers Bend. But that wasn't one of the 13 we played. The course in Coos Bay is pretty sweet, as is Timber Park in Estacada. Tom Pearce Park (Grants Pass) is good but not great - but if you're in Southern Oregon - it's probably the best available.
McIver was brand new and I think only nine permanent holes when I played it - but is purportedly one of the best they have now.
I think the funnest in Northern Oregon was a temporary course inside the city limits called Mt Tabor - they used to get access to the park once a year to set up the course - and it was AWESOME. Haven't seen any reference to it for a while, so maybe they aren't able to use it anymore. And being a temp course - of course I don't get to take credit for having played it :(

Hey Craig, being a veteran of the sport I bet that you could add some good quality to this "How many extinct courses can we come up with?" thread.

I have only taken small one day trips around NC so far. But my girlfriend just got a promotion at work. That means that 3 times a year she has to go to Cincinnati, Oh. One of those trips she has to stay for 3 weeks. I will be taking my vacation then....I....can't....wait to play Idlewild, Banklick, and Mt. Airy. Since I'll have my car I'm sure I'll get down to Louisville to play Charlie Vettiner.

No big disc golf adventures but I have had a couple nice minor ones.

My only 100% dedicated disc golf trip was to Orange Crush and Seth Burton in Fairmont, WV along with the short trip down I79 to Clarksburg, WV and Veterans Memorial Park. I just stayed in Fairmont and hit both courses there two days in a row.

And when my wife, 4 year old daughter and I went "theme parkin" to Hershey Park (Hershey, PA) and Dutch Wonderland (Lancaster, PA) I got up early each morning, 5:30 early, to get in some holes. :eek: This really is a sickness!!! I was able to play Riverside Park in Harrisburg, PA, D.F. Buchmiller Park in Lancaster, PA and Roland Park in Akron, PA. This was a great trip. I was back at the hotel and ready to hit the parks before they even opened. Sweet!

And the other most memorable trip was when I got to get to get together with my best friend and his caddy (wife) after not seeing them for about 5 years for various reasons. We met in Christiansburg, VA about half way between my house and their's on I81 in VA. We got to play Golden Hills in Blacksburg, VA (my favorite course along with the Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV) and Fishburn Park in Roanoke, VA.

Last edited:
And when my wife, 4 year old daughter and I went "theme parkin" to Hershey Park (Hershey, PA) and Dutch Wonderland (Lancaster, PA) I got up early each morning, 5:30 early, to get in some holes. :eek: This really is a sickness!!! I was able to play Riverside Park in Harrisburg, PA, D.F. Buchmiller Park in Lancaster, PA and Roland Park in Akron, PA. This was a great trip. I was back at the hotel and ready to hit the parks before they even opened. Sweet!

That's what my friends and I do every year. However, since the DG bug has bitten us all, we've added courses as well in between stops. This Year, we're going to Holiday World in Indiana, Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and Kings Island. DG Stops are the Fun Farm In Corydon, IN (21 holes, wooded, paintball and go-karts on site as well...) and Idlewild (of course!) in Kentucky on our way to Ohio...

This was my trip from 2006:

Day 1 (8/3)
Crestview Park, Topeka, KS

Day 2 (8/4)
Lake Shawnee, Topeka, KS
Centennial Park, Lawrence, KS
Prairie Center Park, Olathe, KS

Day 3 (8/5)
Prairie Center Park, Olathe KS (2 tournament rounds)

Day 4 (8/6)
Swope Park, Kansas City, MO

Day 5 (8/7)
Woodland Park, Collinsville, IL
Lincoln Park, Springfield, IL

Day 6 (8/8)
Bradley Park, Peoria, IL

Day 7 (8/9)
Valley View Park, New Berlin, WI
O-Hauser Park, Menasha, WI

Day 8 (8/10)
Plamann Park, Appleton, WI

Day 9 (8/11)
Telulah Park, Appleton, WI

Day 10 (8/12)
Lions Park I, Shakopee, MN

Day 11 (8/13)
Rained all day, no golf :(

Day 12 (8/14)
Grandview Park, Des Moines, IA

Day 13 (8/15)
Walnut Ridge, Johnston, IA
Treasure Cove, Council Bluffs, IA

16 courses over 13 days and six states. Yeah, I could have done more DG'ing, but I did some other stuff too and I had some five hour drives. That was just too much vacation. I've learned to make my vacations a bit more compact since then.

My latest;
2/27 The Sarge
2/28 Tuscawilla X 2
3/04 Tom Triplett
3/05 Tom Triplett
3/05 Rankin Lake

Four solid courses !

Highbridge Hills Trip 2008
Courses Played:

Blueberry Hill, Highbridge, WI
Highbridge Gold, Highbridge, WI
Granite Ridge, Highbridge, WI
Woodland Greens, Highbridge, WI
The Bear, Highbridge, WI (holes that are done)

Twin Cities Trip 2007
Courses Played:

Northwood DGC, Northwood, IA
Todd Park, Austin, MN
Lakewood Hills, St. Paul, MN
C.P. Adams, Hastings, MN
Oakwood Park, Cottage Grove, MN
Kaposia, St. Paul, MN
Acorn Park, St. Paul, MN
Hyland SSA, Bloomington, MN

2 day trip to KC

Day 1: drive from St. Louis to KC
Played:
Rosedale Down Under
Rosedale upper
Shawnee Park
Caught a movie and lots of beer

Day two:
Water works park
Swope Park
Spent the afternoon at Disc Golf World KC (great place)
Lake Shore
Drove home.

6 parks, 108 holes, 15 beers, about 38 hours, 100+ degrees.
Awesome

Business trip in Milford, MA... 10 hours from home. We have to haul a bunch of crap (I mean important training materials) in the mini-van. Training wraps up at 5:00. My co-worker wants to eat dinner and it takes forever. At the time of year I went it got dark at 8:00.

So dinner's finally over at 6:30 (where's Taco Bell when I need it?). It's a 30 minute drive, to somewhere I have no idea where I'm going to, and there are only 6 holes on the course. Is it worth it???? Dag-gone right it is.

I make it to North Smithfield DGC in Rhode Island with about 45 minutes of light left. And on those six holes I had a blast. Hey, it sure as heck beat sitting at the hotel watchin' the tube!

Business trip in Milford, MA...

Looks like you were in one of the black holes in our state [far from everything]. I also feel bad for everyone I meet who flies into Boston for work to discover the closest courses are nearly an hour away. I'm glad you had a good time at North Smithfield. If you do it again make the trip to Borderland. It will be well worth it if you've got the time.

Latest posts