• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Pivot and the Snap

Should be widening thru the hit like GG/Wiggins.

Yeah, definitely. It fights that collapse and whips out wide in response.

I think it gets closest to 90 degrees just before the hit happens in a "McBeth" throw.

GG's compression happens on that pendulum and so in that case I think it's wider than 90 degrees before the hit.

I believe there could be a small deceleration of the elbow and shoulders which should be one piece. Not a stop but a deceleration allows the disc to be thrown faster/arm to be extended at a quicker rate.

If you look at Ezra and McBeths swim move I feel like this is how they are decelerating the shoulders/elbow slightly right before the hit point. Their left arm/hand moves backwards slightly against the forward rotation.

It's likely something they developed naturally from throwing power shots which gives them just a bit more pop. My theory anyways.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3707087#post3707087

One Leg Drill should put less pressure and torque on the knee and make it easier to pivot, since your CoG and gravity are all inline just like when you are standing and you are not bringing in as much momentum.

A one-step adds in more moving parts and variables and more momentum and torque with your CoG and gravity not inline with your leg being angled into dynamic balance to the momentum.

So I'm happy to report that the one leg drill did not hurt my knee.

Should the snap feel like a grip lock but go straight? By feel I mean the feel in the fingers as it rips off the middle and ring finger?

I can consistently get the snap sound with my fingers but I know that doesn't equate to actual snap. Does that sound have any meaning? Does it mean I'm gripping properly?

Should the snap feel like a grip lock but go straight? By feel I mean the feel in the fingers as it rips off the middle and ring finger?

I can consistently get the snap sound with my fingers but I know that doesn't equate to actual snap. Does that sound have any meaning? Does it mean I'm gripping properly?

Sound depends on your grip, sidewinder teaches a fan grip that I for some reason just can't get to work but it works great for him. I actually teach a three finger power grip as my pinky, and at least some other people's pinkies, doesn't work well with keeping alignment and grip for the disc. More sound doesn't equal more distance, in fact more sound usually means there's something wrong/extra going on at release like a forced shank, unnecessary bicep involvement or palm push which I don't recommend. In a perfect world less sound=better, but 1. Zero sound is virtually impossible and 2. It's splitting hairs at that point

Upon release I always say it feel be like your ability to put any more targetward force on the disc is over, and that's when the disc's momentum rips it from your fingers. But sw22 can probably teach a better grip for cleaner releases with his modified fan grip. Regardless, it shouldn't really feel like a grip lock I wouldn't say. It should feel like the disc's momentum pulls it from your hand/fingers as your hand/fingers begin to pull away from targetward acceleration

I've heard some people describe it that way, but that's not how I would, I always felt it rip off the index finger regardless of which grip.

The snap sound is often a slip, often from sawing off the arc instead of extending it wider.

I've heard some people describe it that way, but that's not how I would, I always felt it rip off the index finger regardless of which grip.
Would you say the feeling of the rip is like a griplock?

The snap sound is often a slip, often from sawing off the arc instead of extending it wider.
By saw off you mean the arm doesn't fully extend at pint of hit and Instead kind of collapses and noodles towards the target?

Would you say the feeling of the rip is like a griplock?

By saw off you mean the arm doesn't fully extend at pint of hit and Instead kind of collapses and noodles towards the target?
Maybe if you never felt it before.

Kind of, or too straight.
5851NqB.jpg

Maybe if you never felt it before.
I honestly feel this is my biggest problem. Almost like I relax my middle and ring fingers on most throws and the disc sort of slides out. It's as if I'm afraid to grip lock.

Kind of, or too straight.
5851NqB.jpg
Not sure if this is related to the sound but for sure would limit my distance.

Blake_T said:
I have noticed a lot of problems relating to disc pivot lately and have encountered it in a few lessons lately.

I think most people don't understand the disc pivot. I believe most people think you should allow the disc to pivot around the index finger in the hand by gripping loosely and letting it swing around.

that is false and will most certainly lead to micro slipping, if not major slipping.

the pivot does happen a little bit. it is not something you try for, it is incidental. It happens because you do other things correctly.

allowing for a loose pivot is pretty counter-productive. the pivot yields strength to the throw because it doesn't happen loosely.

the outer edge of the disc SHOULD come around. it SHOULD come around because you are pulling it around. read that again: pulling it around. that is not the same as letting it swing around.

GG's disc has not pivoted yet:
J5Wlseg.png

You can see the bar stamp stays perpendicular to my thumb pushing the disc out. Hammer handle/head is perpendicular to the stamp and straight out from thumb pounding the nail/disc thru the hit. The imaginary hammer head is not on the disc itself, but a point outside which is where the thumb "feels" the disc's weight.
0KBJAVZ.png

Last edited:
It should feel like the disc's momentum pulls it from your hand/fingers as your hand/fingers begin to pull away from targetward acceleration
Totally missed your reply, thanks and sorry! So I think I feel that but I honestly feel as though it slips out as if my grip is not strong enough. I use a fan grip for putters and mids when I'm not doing max power throws. I have a power grip with fingers slightly angled for my drives.

Totally missed your reply, thanks and sorry! So I think I feel that but I honestly feel as though it slips out as if my grip is not strong enough. I use a fan grip for putters and mids when I'm not doing max power throws. I have a power grip with fingers slightly angled for my drives.

Slow down your entire form to match your grip strength and you'll get better distance.

I meant to try this a few days ago by using the two finger grip and slowly adding power. It's on my to-do list.

Slow down your entire form to match your grip strength and you'll get better distance.

I meant to try this a few days ago by using the two finger grip and slowly adding power. It's on my to-do list.

So last night I tried to REALLY grip hard. On some throws the disc won't come out or goes behind me (and just flops down). But that's likely because I'm focused too much on the grip and grip tight too early and slow my whole form down. It was kind of comical and hurt. LOL.

Does the hammer not pull your arm wide? Wider arm = bigger moment arm = more spin on disc.

Does the hammer not pull your arm wide? Wider arm = bigger moment arm = more spin on disc.

In the drill, is there any reason/benefit to putting more spin on the hammer, or benefit to throwing the hammer farther? In other words, what's the 'adding more power' drill? Because if I throw a disc with the same effort put into the hammer toss, the disc doesn't go.

I don't think I'm expressing this very well.

5851NqB.jpg

The sharp turn above, left, when the disc releases. How do I focus on that?

I think Ryan threw that sledge about as far a possible. Don't try to spin a hammer, it will spin if you leverage it.