• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Pivot and the Snap

In the drill, is there any reason/benefit to putting more spin on the hammer, or benefit to throwing the hammer farther? In other words, what's the 'adding more power' drill? Because if I throw a disc with the same effort put into the hammer toss, the disc doesn't go.

I don't think I'm expressing this very well.

5851NqB.jpg

The sharp turn above, left, when the disc releases. How do I focus on that?

Don't focus on the disc release out in the hand.
The next to last yellow line should be your focus if anything. That's when the elbow stops going forward and is beginning the follow through instead. The elbow is opening up and the lower arm and disc is released out from the body like the sledge hammer. Before that yellow line it's all about getting power behind the shot. (Like the feeling of swinging your arms heavy and getting low to the ground before a vertical jump.) After that yellow line it's more about resisting the force pulling the disc and arm out from the body. (Releasing the tension and jumping vertically upwards.) Ball on a string.

AeAzxdD.gif

How does this guy make the kid spin higher up? Is he trying to spin faster or powering with his arms? No, he's adding more resistance. Think about what it would feel like to spin a weight around like that and make it spin higher and wider, like he does at times in the gif. At the release/hit you want to feel like you are pushing against the ground and resisting that weight wanting to pull you out from your own center of gravity. Make that kid spin as far away from you as possible (and as high from the ground as possible) as explosive as possible. If done with enough power (and that kid is a disc) he will fly pretty damn far away from your center of gravity.

(Just a reminder: Obliviously you shouldn't throw real kids.)

I spent a while focusing on spin and it just lead to me strong arming and tearing up my fingers. For throwing the hammer, I would just focus on leading with the handle. I like doing the one piece takeaway but standing next to a tree. Pound the hammer into the tree a couple times. Take a step back, and swing just like you are still pounding the tree. With no tree to absorb the energy, the hammer will launch.

It probably doesn't matter what really happens, because we can't tell feel from real.

But I'm inclined to think that the disc does not pop out in a pivot at all, but continues in an almost straight line, while the hand comes around behind it. What Bradley shows in the video the first person posted would only happen if the forearm was stationary, but it's not, it's moving in an arc.