• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc Rental?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Is anybody lucky enough to have a store near them that rents discs so you can try them out cheaply? I don't know why more places don't do this. Cost to rent for the day, the price of the disc plus sales tax. If you return the disc by the end of the next day you get your $ back minus 5 bucks. If you keep the disc or don't return it in time, you bought it at full price. The only headache I can see for the store is you can't sell a used disc at full price, but rent it just four times and you've recouped your cost. Further rentals of the same disc are gravy. I'd probably stamp the rental discs so someone doesn't try to pass off an old beat up disc as a returned rental. To reduce the risk of offering new discs for rent and then having nobody rent them I'd say you can rent any disc I carry, but my cut is $9 instead of just $5 for moving it from my new stock to the rentals. Once a rental disc gets too beat up, throw it in the $5 bargain bin and break out a new one. I think this could really work.

No offense but I hate this idea. $5 to rent a disc is a waste. Just buy it and trade or resell it if it doesn't click.

Just my two cents

I honestly don't think many people would pay $5 to rent a disc for a day or 2 when they can buy one for $10 or $15.

IMHO $5 is too steep, but $1 or $2 for a rental (and $2 discount applied if one buys that disc or a new disc in that mold later on) might work.

The Nati Disc Golf Shop at Mt Airy Forest in Cincinnati, OH has a test box on the front counter. You give them your car key or drivers license and you try can try out several types of drivers. Though most of these are older models. Nice FR volt and Amp in there though...Also they will let you test out anything in the used bins.

A single round with a disc almost always takes the disc from 10/10 to 8/10 or worse on the Sleepy Scale. $5 for new discs sounds about right. Significantly less for used, since 7-8/10 is a very wide range, and a disc can be in that range for many, many rounds.

Call me cheap, but I don't shell out $15 to $20 just to try a disc I may not like, but I'm okay with paying $5 to find out. I've wanted to try a range of weights on the same disc before and if I could try four at various weights, keep the one I want and return the others and pay a total of $15 to be able to try the 3 I returned, I'd call that a bargain. I'd pay a lot more buying them outright and then being stuck with 3 discs I have no use for.

A few courses here rent discs for a couple dollars. Not sure how it works out for them but seen a few for resale at PIAS lol.

It's not a horrible idea but then again discs really aren't that expensive to begin with. A disc you may not like today you may like later. This is why I buy discs and hold onto them.

I can see testers and/or rentals if the shop has a place for you to throw them to try them out (preferably a good sized field area, but a course works too). But even then, there would be dedicated tester/rental discs rather than allowing the entire store inventory to be used for the purpose. Basically, instead of having most of my inventory become "used" over time, I'd just write off a disc or two in each mold as a loss leader to sell the rest.

There really aren't any dedicated disc shops in my area( 1 pretty good PIAS tho). That being said a shop that had a test field and a good selection of test discs (especially the newest molds/plastics) would 100%get my business. I can't count the number of times I've felt a disc in the shop and liked it. Then after a few throws NOPE not for me and into the box of trade stock it goes.

Three rivers parks in MN rent discs at their courses. You need to leave collateral or a credit card should you lose or keep the disc. They are DX sidewinders and few other lower end molds. Works out well for the families I see playing who want to try it for a day. I normally just suggest buying the Innova 3-pack as I am sure most of those kids will play in high school or college again. Something cheap and inexpensive to have around the house.

A single round with a disc almost always takes the disc from 10/10 to 8/10 or worse on the Sleepy Scale. $5 for new discs sounds about right. Significantly less for used, since 7-8/10 is a very wide range, and a disc can be in that range for many, many rounds.

Mmmmhmmm!

There's a guy at Grand Woods Park in Lansing, MI named DJ who sells TOOONNNNS of discs out of the back of his pickup. If he knows you, he'll always let you give a disc a couple rips before buying. He is extremely knowledgeable and will check out your bag, ask how things are throwing, make a recommendation, then let you test throw in the field next to the parking lot. He won't let you use it for a whole round, because, as Dan mentioned, this would significantly diminish the worth from a new disc to used... (hence why rentals would be difficult)