• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc to replace my BEAT DX Eagle. Relay, Leopard, Other?

deyo7

Eagle Member
Happy Friday DGCR

So, my beat to **** DX Eagle (pictured) sits firmly in my understable driver spot. Sadly, it just got a second crack in it and I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep "repairing" it before it's finished. I think I need to start making preparations.

***Does anyone have experience replacing beat DX Eagle with something that has similar flight off the shelf?***

Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range. It does work for me.

Relay?
Leopard? Pro or Star, etc?
Archer?
Underworld?
Hatchet?
SLine-FD
Other?

If have a recommendation, please recommend plastic type. I'm not familiar with a lot of US discs just because my DX Eagle has served that purpose well. Only one of the above I've thrown is a used lightweight DX leopard. I know there are many options. What's your favorite? And/or let me know if you have experience replacing a perfectly seasoned DX Eagle.

Thanks as always - guys/gals are awesome!

Attachments

• 20170512_182256.jpg
    20170512_182256.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 56
Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range.

I don't have experience with a beat DX Eagle, but the above description matches my 168g DX Leopard almost exactly. I can usually get it to about 270 from standstill, but can get up to 320 or so with x-step. I use it for hyzerflips both RHBH or RHFH, or gentle turnovers. Have thrown it for a couple rounds, so pretty close to off the shelf. Not sure how long it will last like that. I also have a 168g Star Leopard but it doesn't fly the same as the DX for me.

FD would be great, but probably the DX Leopard... while you begin seasoning in your new DX Eagle. :)

Happy Friday DGCR

So, my beat to **** DX Eagle (pictured) sits firmly in my understable driver spot. Sadly, it just got a second crack in it and I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep "repairing" it before it's finished. I think I need to start making preparations.

***Does anyone have experience replacing beat DX Eagle with something that has similar flight off the shelf?***

Thrown flat probably a -2 to 3 turn but does hook up at the end, not hard by any means but not flippy. That said, I also probably don't throw it much farther than 320 so would likely be flippy for bigger arms. I use it for anhyzer, as a longer mid on powered down hyzerflip shot, OR for shots that I need a right pull on in the 280-320 range. It does work for me.

Relay?
Leopard? Pro or Star, etc?
Archer?
Underworld?
Hatchet?
SLine-FD
Other?

If have a recommendation, please recommend plastic type. I'm not familiar with a lot of US discs just because my DX Eagle has served that purpose well. Only one of the above I've thrown is a used lightweight DX leopard. I know there are many options. What's your favorite? And/or let me know if you have experience replacing a perfectly seasoned DX Eagle.

Thanks as always - guys/gals are awesome!

I think a pro Leopard will be close as long as it's not one of the really domey super stiff runs (i haven't seen one of those in quite a while) ,but I don't think you're going to get the exact same flight. Maybe a mid 160's G star Eagle L from the Innova Pro Shop might work after a few rounds on a heavily wooded course. Or going one speed down to a cheetah. Or you could always put a post in the Marketplace for a used eagle X ( I am guessing with that stamp it's more then likely a X mold ). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

What weight is your Eagle?

Discs that will get you close;
166-167 G* Leopard. The newness beats out of them quick, but after that, they don't seem to change much, I've been throwing the same one for two years now.

Max weight DX Leopard. It won't last as long though.

DX Gazelle. It won't work off the shelf, but beat it in a little and they are pretty nice.

I recently bought a Champion 161gr Leopard3 for chits and giggles and this disc is surprisingly fun to throw.

For fairways, I pretty much throw nothing but Eagles and Leopards.

And if you like Eagles, buy a couple more DX ones and start cycling them. You know the mold, use that to your advantage.

What weight is your Eagle?

Discs that will get you close;
166-167 G* Leopard. The newness beats out of them quick, but after that, they don't seem to change much, I've been throwing the same one for two years now.

Max weight DX Leopard. It won't last as long though.

DX Gazelle. It won't work off the shelf, but beat it in a little and they are pretty nice.

I recently bought a Champion 161gr Leopard3 for chits and giggles and this disc is surprisingly fun to throw.

For fairways, I pretty much throw nothing but Eagles and Leopards.

And if you like Eagles, buy a couple more DX ones and start cycling them. You know the mold, use that to your advantage.

Thanks for the answers everyone, enjoying the responses.

Weight of my DX Eagle I believe is 171 or 172 at most.

And I want to clarify that it's not incredibly flippy for me. For example, when I said I use for a hyzer flip, that's maybe an exaggeration - it's not a steep hyzer angle in order to make it go straight - more shallow angle. On the other hand, the DX Leopard that I found (156g) - now that requires steep hyzer angle to flip to flat. I liked it at first but not anymore.

And by the way the DX Eagle looks, you might think I'm good and experienced but nah. I've probably had that thing for 20-25 years and just didn't happen to lose it and would be the disc I carried a long with a putter any time I played with friends. I didn't start playing regularly until this time last year and that's really when this started changing flight drastically (and got really destroyed). This is a wordy way of saying that I'm really not sure I want to cycle DX Eagles - I think I'd rather just fill the understable slot and not have to worry about it for a few years.

G* or Pro Leopard thus far has most votes then. I know there is a thread on this but how is the newer gummier pro plastic flight working out on Leopard and/or how does flight compare to GStar?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
have a friend that went from a diamond to Underworld for the understable to straight workhorse and loves it (probably max D of 270ish so seems it would fit the understable request). relay has been my pick for my most under stable fairway, and have a newish star leo for when I want to be sure it will finish straight to left (rhbh). the relay, at full power similar to you, I can usually get to hold a turn all or most of the way. fun anny flipper too.

maybe check out a Fury or Sidewinder if you want to try a touch faster?

... and a River is an ever popular option for a subtle s-curve or easy flip to flat. gold line/ recycled have always been my choice for feel and faster break-in. recycled maybe finishing a touch more US, but either imho feel like better runs of Star.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Also a Recycled Stag would be really good here too. It would start more stable, but beat into the turnover shot disc you want and stay that way for a long time.

I'll send you a relay... It's no eagle but covers that seasoned spot and only US driver I've been doing work with lately. It's my noodle buddy's go to mold.

Ooh, hard to beat a beat DX Eagle X. If it still hooks up I'd skip the Leopards unless in Star or Champ. FD was the first thing that came to my mind, my Seers start out that way but they get well flippy like Leos. Seems like the JLS used to be underrated for this too but it's been ages since I've had one. My P-PD beat into this kind of disc really nice too. Hope that helps.

Have you tossed the relay bro? I hear all of what you're saying. But damn i love some relay work for the 300ish woods stuff.

No, sadly. It's on my shortlist for my MVP winter bag this year.

Leopard (Pro or GStar), FD (G-Line) or more DX Eagles. I have a Star Eagle-X that is beaten in but it is nowhere near as beat as yours. When mine gets to that point I bet that it will probably be flying at least 400' (now it tops out around 340' and still fades!)

Try out a GStar Leopard. It's more understable than Champion or Star Leopards when new. It will stay flippy a lot longer (it's more durable) than a beat DX Eagle.

This. And Gstar beats in really quick, but then holds that sweet spot of beat-in-ness forever. I have a Gstar Leo Ive been throwing for almost 3 seasons prime.

I really like the LEGACY PATRIOT for an US fairway. Icon plastic is like softer Star plastic, wears in nice and turns smooth
Pinnacle is more like Champ starts out more stable, wears in great. Patriot isn't a super flippy mold so get the plastic and weight you think.

To me if you want to replace that beat DX Eagle, a Patriot at 171-175g should do it.

Last edited:
I love my relay. Great for heavily wooded courses, excels on standstill throws, hyzerflips, and anhyzers. I haven't thrown anything as predictable for leopard type shots.