• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolf competition

Interesting, I wonder if the balls will be modified, or if they will just be regular Soccer balls.

golf and soccer two of my favorite sports...the two together? Sounds kind of stupid.

I don't care for soccer, but I'd give it a try.

that actually sounds fun, especially if they could design courses where you have to bend certain shots, etc.

Yup! Having to put spin on the ball would make it very fun. Otherwise, meh.

For two of my three kids it is almost a punishment to come with me when I go play a round. My third, he will play when the weather is warmer, but he gets frustrated easily when he does not throw right. I could see something like this soccer idea really working on an occasion. However, I do not know if it would be economically viable for a golf course to do this full time. They are better off having the course open only on certain days for golf, then disc golf, and then soccer golf; funnel your dwindling player base onto certain days to make it seem like traffic is higher.

You look at the examples of the hybrid courses we already have. Because we generally throw shorter than golfers can hit the ball, for every one or two golf holes there are two or three disc golf holes. And to create some obstacles, that means on several occasions you are weaving back and forth across fairways. I bet for most, if not all, you can throw a disc further than you can kick a soccer ball. So you are either only going to use a small portion of the course, or you are going to have a long round as you play the whole course.

I suppose if golfers are no longer coming out in droves like they used to, maybe it will not be as much of an inconvenience.

Do not get me wrong, I like the idea, but with only a moderate amount of bias I think these courses are better suited to be golf/ disc golf hybrids. I surprised one way or another no one has commented on the article.

I would absolutely endorse it. It's funny, I have always loved the European spirit of play more than American...it's more fun somehow, more about sport and enjoyment, as a way of life and recreation. This will get so many people just outside and having fun like they should be. It'd be a great family game.

we have I think 5 courses set up now in the Sacramento area. Soccer is pretty big here, and though I haven't tried it yet, some people I talked to enjoyed it.

It would be sweet to get a 450' kick by tapping the ball at the top of a hill. Conversely, trying to get up a hill and getting a roll back would be brutal. Sounds fun, though.

I played soccer as a kid and I wouldn't mind trying this but I think disc golf would still be way funner. You have way more variety in disc selection and shots.

That does bring up an interesting thought. On uphill fairways you are probably smart to play into and near the edge of the rough so the ball has less chance to roll back.

This will probably have a good chance of becoming popular because greens fees are required, early marketing is sufficient to have it on a national show and the Golf Channel already and soccer is the most popular sport in the world. Really good clip below,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=451j2UhCI6Q

it sounds stupid........but thats what i thought about dg before i tried it. dg has an advantage, no greens fees! would you have to carry 14 different soccer balls for different shots? in different leathers, with different wear..........

Make Ball/Foot/Disc Golf tournements. How nuts would that get?

A golf triathlon. Lol

I think GOLccer will be more popular than disc golf, just for the fact that far more people play soccer, and they love mini games with it. I can't stand soccer, but who doesn't like to kick the hell out of a ball?

Latest posts