• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfPark Launches "DiscGolfArena" Concept

Imagine the patience needed to deal with something like that in a middle school gym situation.

I like chucks idea better if selling baskes is the point.

Imagine the patience needed to deal with something like that in a middle school gym situation.

I like chucks idea better if selling baskes is the point.

Yeah, we hold a kid's clinic every year and the first year was.... rough.

Some people wanted rigid structure and to follow the agenda to the T.

We eventually found that the kids had a lot more fun (and learned more in the process) when we allowed the clinic to be more free flowing.

The kids who wanted more intensive instruction were attended to and the ones who just wanted to fling discs could do that as well.

We just made sure they were doing it in a safe and constructive manner.

While I applaud the effort and think it could develop into something great, it seems like an attempt to turn disc golf into a gymnasium type sport.

Which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Nah you can still compete in PDGA events just do your time. Disc golf will welcome you with open arms.

And dana this idea is lame as ****.

Anyone can buy ABCXYZ basket and use it indoors. Need some masking tape?

It's meant for outdoor spaces actually. They introduced the concept at a trade show, which is why the pictures are inside.

As someone who hears, "we would love to have disc golf, we don't have space" a lot, I think this could be a viable option.

that costs money

I didn't know that. Still, he shouldn't be allowed to post product pushes under general disc golf chat. In another thread titled "DiscGolfPark New Course Bounty", he was soliciting for sellouts for an inside line on new course development.

I didn't know that. Still, he shouldn't be allowed to post product pushes under general disc golf chat. In another thread titled "DiscGolfPark New Course Bounty", he was soliciting for sellouts for an inside line on new course development.

Where was I pushing this product? It is simply an announcement about a new (and what I thought interesting) concept.

In regards to the New Course Bounty, I'm not following your "soliciting for sellouts" remark. I can see you your argument about posting about the bounty there, but who is selling out what from where? Huh? Are you saying you are against having a professional course design with high quality equipment? Is that selling out?

Yeah just to reiterate - these are meant to be outside. This pic Dana posted was the first actual pic I've seen of the concept as well, but I assume you bury those markers to be flush with the earth at set distances away from the basket.

While having multiple baskets would be cool, I think the point of this is to be low cost, so that parks departments will buy multiple sets for all their smaller neighborhood parks (the ones where it's just a swingset and a small grass area to pay catch...those kinds of places).

I get the idea and it is pretty cool. But, don't kids just make up games anymore?? I would think just putting in a basket and a sign telling what it is, would get kids to start playing some kind of game.

I mean, it used to work with a small piece of asphalt and a basketball hoop.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for something like that, since you can do the same thing yourself with rocks/old discs outside or masking tape inside. But I could see it being fun to have a nice set of these for a more organized event, or to turn a Gym into a DG arena or something along those lines.

I'm determined to become a better putter. I think step one of that is going to be finding more fun ways to practice, so I can have positive feelings about putting again. I've been making up my own games when I go to the practice pin, probably based on things I've read here. That really helps a lot to enjoy it.

I love the idea of creating a standard mini version of disc golf that works with a single basket. Good luck guys. I wonder if this DiscGolfArena concept has a long history that has been tweaked over time? It would be interesting to at least hear the history of how it was developed.

We've always played a horse-shoe style game with two baskets, and four players when we want a fun, social game in a small area. But that's just like my opinion man.

Of course anyone can just put a basket in their park. Of course kids make up games.

You have to think from a parks department view. They love a nice finished product with rules and instructions all ready - turnkey install.

I bet this thing is about $500 of material cost - 1 basket, 1 sign, 2 dozen pads. A $2,000 price tag on it would make sense and is a very cheap amenity for a little city park. You can barely install a metal bench/table for $2k. I don't know the prices, these are estimates. And I think it's a great business idea.

I love the idea of creating a standard mini version of disc golf that works with a single basket. Good luck guys. I wonder if this DiscGolfArena concept has a long history that has been tweaked over time? It would be interesting to at least hear the history of how it was developed.

We've always played a horse-shoe style game with two baskets, and four players when we want a fun, social game in a small area. But that's just like my opinion man.

I'll forward this to DiscGolfPark HQ, that would be a cool story to hear :)

Of course anyone can just put a basket in their park. Of course kids make up games.

You have to think from a parks department view. They love a nice finished product with rules and instructions all ready - turnkey install.

I bet this thing is about $500 of material cost - 1 basket, 1 sign, 2 dozen pads. A $2,000 price tag on it would make sense and is a very cheap amenity for a little city park. You can barely install a metal bench/table for $2k. I don't know the prices, these are estimates. And I think it's a great business idea.

Bingo. I'm not sure the costs quite yet either, but your analysis is spot on.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for something like that, since you can do the same thing yourself with rocks/old discs outside or masking tape inside.

This would also be an easy thing to do around any practice basket (or any other basket) for very little: 12"x12"x2" concrete pavers can be purchased for less than $2 each from most home supply stores. It is trivial to install those flush with the ground. We put concrete markers at strategic locations (15', 24', 33' etc) around the practice basket at my home course.

On the other hand, if this works as a standalone that gets the occasional non-disc-golfer interested in disc golf (as opposed to just making people wonder why the weird barbecue rack has a bunch of squares around it in a geometric pattern) and can go into places without enough room for a full course, then it might be a pretty good idea. It will be interesting to see how many DBP can sell.

I think this idea is pretty cool. I can think of at 8-10 smaller parks in my neighborhood with room for 1, 2, or possibly even up to 5 or 6 or more baskets with 5-10+ surrounding tiles each, but no room to make even one real hole. Most have obstacles that could be used too. I understand this idea as it stands is for a single basket, but could be cool to make into "putting courses" where each basket can have X amount of tiles to serve like tees. Of course this only works if there is enough room, but could still work even in a very small area.

As it stands, IDK who the target audience would be. Young kids? New players? People looking to practice putting? I suppose all of the above, but doubt it would draw many of these groups in to play as a standalone basket in a tiny park.

Also, I hope for the sake of middle school gym teachers everywhere this is not intended for use in school gym classes! I can only imagine the chaos of 300 6th 7th and 8th graders chucking discs at each other from across the gym!

This is no joke. I'm in the process of raising $3k just for 1/3rd of a Kiosk... Taking donations..anyone..

Latest posts