• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Discraft Crank: Boss or Destroyer?

MikeM

* Condor Member *
I am looking at the flight ratings of a Crank. Some say 13 5 -1 3 and others say 12 5 -1 3...Does it fly more like a destroyer or a boss?

Destroyer; but not one of those OS Destroyers.

But the Boss and Destroyer are eerily similar.

My understanding was that the Crank was a slightly understable high speed.

The Crank is less stable than a Boss or Destroyer. Bosses are more stable than Destroyers so I guess it's closer to a Destroyer. The best comparison would probably be a Tern though.

I throw Cranks and they are very straight. I would say 13, 5, -.5, 1.5. They don't have a ton of turn or fade. Not the best in headwinds. I throw them about 425. They are good line holders.

I throw Cranks and they are very straight. I would say 13, 5, -.5, 1.5. They don't have a ton of turn or fade. Not the best in headwinds. I throw them about 425. They are good line holders.
Maybe more like 2 fade

I've thrown a couple Z cranks definitely not as stable as a destroyer or boss, more like a fast beast for me. Like 13 5 -2 2 after a month it doesn't fade back very controllable great driver for shaping long lines.

Crank is a 2.4 cm rim I believe so it's between a Destroyer and a Boss speed-wise (but closer to a Boss). Everyone is probably going to answer this question differently because Destroyers, Bosses, and Cranks all seem to fly differently from run to run and in different plastics.

Fwiw, the first run ESP Cranks were a good bit less stable than Big Z production runs (there are the only 2 I've thrown, so I can't answer for the Cryztals). I would say the ESP Crank started out just about like a champ tern, so maybe a -2, 2. It also seemed to beat in fairly quickly, so after a couple months of use, it was more like a -2.5, 2. The Big Z Crank I've thrown was quite a bit more stable and seemed a little more power hungry than the ESP Crank. I would call it closer to a -1.5, 3 when thrown with good power, and it beat in much more slowly.

My personal experience is that Star Bosses usually start out a little less stable than Star Destroyers if you're getting them up to speed. However, they are very inconsistent from run to run so you could easily find a freak OS or understable specimen of either one. Also, champs tend to be more OS and Pro/DX tend to be more understable.

My personal feeling is that a Big Z Crank is pretty close to a Star Boss stability-wise, although I feel like the Star Bosses that I've thrown and liked all had more glide than the Big Z Crank I've thrown (I think they were also domier). The ESP Crank I owned was definitely much less stable than the average Star Boss/Destroyer in my experience.

I've only thrown a Big Z but it was the definition of a flippy Distance Driver. Like a beat in Star Katana. Almost Freedom like.

I was hoping for a straight flyer with a bit of flip, might have to buy another cryztal flx and see if I got a freak or its the plastic as I love the grippy premium stuff and still need to fill that long slot with minimal fade distance spot in my bag

Cranks are at the other end of the stability spectrum from a Boss.
I'd say a Boss is fairly OS, while a Crank is fairly US.

Beat the hell out of a Pro Boss, and it'll fly like a Crank.

I was hoping for a straight flyer with a bit of flip
This is exactly what Pro-D Cranks are for me, and they have nice glide. I like the idea of having a bagging a Pro D Crank as a "Go To" distance driver because if I'm gonna attemmpt a long water carry, I want it to be with a disc I feel comfortable throwingh, not just once in a blue moon, yet is easy to replace at low cost. Think I might want t o work an ESP into the mix.

Thinking about going with Unlaces, Cranks and Bosses as my distance combo.

Last edited:
I'd say it's closer to a boss. More so speed wise. The domey Z's are actually fairly stable to where they are similar to bosses... But not exact. The flat ones always have more turn. They work great in tailwinds or no wind. I haven't found one that flies very close to a destroyer. Closest is probably a max weight, domey z crank. These opinions are all based on my own experiences.

Latest posts