• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

discspeed said:
Does anyone else think this name is really a dumb idea? Since when is a nuke a good thing? Arguably perhaps if you were in a POW camp in Japan or a concentration camp in Europe during WWII, but besides that I think its a little iffy. Stalker was a bit iffy, but the idea of a big cat like the graphics on the World's Stalkers make it work. A nuke is a horrible thing all the way around imo. What's next, the Apocalypse?

I do not have a problem with the name; as many have pointed out, we already use the terminology "bomb" to describe long distance throws. It is really a matter of whether the disc lives up to its name or not. What I am concerned about is the pictures and marketing they might use. It could get offensive quickly. I like what they have done with the disc design, using just the radiation symbol instead of showing an actual bomb going off over a real city. Even the campaign picture is a generic, computerized nuclear explosion that could be seen in any post-apocalyptic video game.

And yes, I do see such discs such as Apocalypse, Zombie, Devil, Warmonger, etc, and I do not see a problem with them because in the name alone there is no offensive connection to any particular group. There is definitely a fine line and I hope never to see the Holocaust, the Rapist, Redskin, Redneck, Hiroshima, the Slave, and or any derogatory nickname you can think of but should never be typed again. I do agree with the Stalker being iffy though but it is a hell of a disc, and again it does not target an individual group and works perfectly with their predator line of animals.

smarkquart said:
There is definitely a fine line and I hope never to see the Holocaust, the Rapist, Redskin, Redneck, Hiroshima, the Slave, and or any derogatory nickname you can think of but should never be typed again. I do agree with the Stalker being iffy though but it is a hell of a disc, and again it does not target an individual group and works perfectly with their predator line of animals.

I just don't really like the name. I don't think its a real big deal or anything. I agree that the above names are worse...however "the Slave" gives me quite a chuckle thinking about some possible marketing applications. "Make your putter your Slave"...or "Is your Slave new or beat?", or "If your Slave is too stable, just beat it in a bit". Horrible, I know, but funny in a South Park kind of way.

I didn't like the way my slave was working so I just threw it into the wall a couple times to break the damn thing in.

I didn't like the way those slaves were working so I just traded them away.

That slaves sitting at the bottom of the lake now.

Got a few throws in with the Nuke today (in the snow :x ) I tested it against my Surge and Force on a long slightly uphill wide open hole at one of my local courses . I had no problem getting excellent throws with it right off the bat. It flew very similar to my Force that's a little seasoned except it was faster out of the hand (of course) and didn't have as much high speed turn. I had one throw with it on a smooth slight hyzer that stayed true all the way and it went as far as my Forces and Surges do on distance style lines (420 feet+) Because of this fact I'm under the impression that this will be longer than anything in my bag once it's broken in a little. Where my Force would turn a good deal in the high speed portion and then s curve back, the Nuke wouldn't turn as far and would just lock in straight and glide with a nice but not ridiculously overstable finish. Me likey so far.... :)

gator said:
I didn't like the way my slave was working so I just threw it into the wall a couple times to break the damn thing in.

good god!

Keeping the nuke out of reg production IS a good idea. Anyone remember how many Augusta Wraiths got sold? That might be the biggest selling first run of all time.

Animix said:
Keeping the nuke out of reg production IS a good idea. Anyone remember how many Augusta Wraiths got sold? That might be the biggest selling first run of all time.

Yeah, but when the Augusta Wraith came out it was the fastest stable disc available by some margin...That's why I bought them. That's not the case currently. You have a point though, there are many Discraft loyalists that have been throwing Surges and Forces as their Innova hucking competitors have been enjoying a considerable speed advantage for some time. Also, they have Nukes for $20 at my local stores, considerably less than most the 1st run Katanas were available for.

gator said:

The slave does everything you want it too! It's a real workhorse!

I wanted to try out my new slave that I bought so I took it out to the field today.

My slave is worth every penny.

Can't wait until my slave comes in!

The slave can really take a beating.

Frank Delicious said:
Ok then, we are moving from ironic to a new territory I don't think we need to be in.

I agree...I'm starting to feel guilty for even starting it. :oops:

SO...Some people are telling me this disc is flippy, others that it's overstable....What's up with that? :D

Frank Delicious said:
Ok then, we are moving from ironic to a new territory I don't think we need to be in.

Can you imagine what Nikko would do with his slave?

Hoping it's flippier than a 175 Star Tana, I threw one and didn't get to throw it much. Wasn't sure if I liked it much.

I was told they flew like a Star Boss by someone, but that person threw one of McCabe's prototypes. I did get to hold one of the fundraiser ones today, and it feels good in the hand.

I was told it wasn't flippier than the Katana.

Frank Delicious said:
Oh look, the last joke of this kind in this thread.

Thomas Jefferson was the greatest disc golfer ever, because his only flipped... nevermind.

Threw a nice esp nuke earlier, flew like a slightly less stable boss. Comparing the wing, the boss had a noticeable curve where the nuke was a bit less so. Like the Force, I think the nuke sits in between the boss and the katana, but close to the boss. I'd like to think they would put out an SS version sooner or later.

The most noticeable difference is a deeper rim, definitely more room to get my fingers wrapped all the way around. The extra grip might have gotten me some more on it, it hyzerflipped into an S curve into a 10 mph wind when new.

Blink said:
Like the Force, I think the nuke sits in between the boss and the katana, but close to the boss.

Are you sayong bosses are more over-stable than forces? I have def not found that to be the case.

I can get a boss to turn but have yet to find a force that will turn without torque (throwing ~400ft). However, I am hoping the Nuke is between a katana and boss

mzuleger said:
Blink said:
Like the Force, I think the nuke sits in between the boss and the katana, but close to the boss.

Are you sayong bosses are more over-stable than forces? I have def not found that to be the case.

I can get a boss to turn but have yet to find a force that will turn without torque (throwing ~400ft). However, I am hoping the Nuke is between a katana and boss

The two Z Forces I have are almost the same stability as my Destroyers. Both those Forces along with the Champ and Star Destroyers I have are a notch less stable than my beat Star Boss. Thrown flat with a touch of unintentional OAT and I can get those to flip over when throwing full power. They all hold beautiful hyzer lines though. My Champ Boss is the most stable of all those discs, several steps more than my Forces. I really have to do something weird to get that thing to flip and turn. The Champ Boss is so stable, not quite at my XCaliber, that I cannot throw it during the winter due to footing like I normally would during the summer. At this point in the year, I get straighter shots with the Destroyer and Force.

Latest posts