• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Pros

Actually, Discraft markets as much as anyone, and more than most. There is a big difference in their marketing model though, they don't utilize the top level Pro player model. The truth is that the number of ads and sponsored events that come out of their shop is quite large. Next you have to ask the question, is their model effective? Does it work? Part of their model is to use their sponsored players to promote top level events. For example, I've never heard of a sponsored Innova player running a set of events, but I see this frequently from Discraft.

If is part of the job of management to determine how to place their company in the market. Honestly, I don't know which model is the best, I'm willing to guess that Discraft's is more cost effective, but would be completely unwilling to guess whether it is more or less effective. But given the relative footprint they have, and the die hard fans, I'd argue they are doing something right.

An interesting thought game is to compare Discraft with Gateway. Gateway is a well established company that has a pretty long history. It does very little marketing outside it's geographical area, at least that I can see. I would speculate that Discraft eats them up but don't really know for sure.

BTW - I have speculated in the past that part of the reason Innova took the sponsor top players model was for the greater vision of growing a competitive Pro presence for the purpose of driving the sport, and hence sales, going forward. A fairly holistic approach with some vision. The recent trends in hiring Pros seems less on this path on more on the, see our Pros play with our discs pathway. Again, not a judgment, rather an observation, correct or not. I always liked Innova's approach, finding it mature and insightful. I similarly like Discraft's approach of sponsoring high end events (Innova does too) to grow world class events to attract top players. Discraft seems to focus more practically on American events, and have grown in non-traditional areas out side of places that were dominated by Innova in the past. Spreading the love so to speak.

Actually, Discraft markets as much as anyone, and more than most. There is a big difference in their marketing model though, they don't utilize the top level Pro player model. The truth is that the number of ads and sponsored events that come out of their shop is quite large. Next you have to ask the question, is their model effective? Does it work? Part of their model is to use their sponsored players to promote top level events. For example, I've never heard of a sponsored Innova player running a set of events, but I see this frequently from Discraft.

If is part of the job of management to determine how to place their company in the market. Honestly, I don't know which model is the best, I'm willing to guess that Discraft's is more cost effective, but would be completely unwilling to guess whether it is more or less effective. But given the relative footprint they have, and the die hard fans, I'd argue they are doing something right.

An interesting thought game is to compare Discraft with Gateway. Gateway is a well established company that has a pretty long history. It does very little marketing outside it's geographical area, at least that I can see. I would speculate that Discraft eats them up but don't really know for sure.

I don't know for sure, but I see more Wizards than Discraft period.

Our PIAS has had the same 10 Discraft discs from their order last year and has reordered from Gateway 2 times since.

Come on, who really DOESN'T care what the pros throw? I bag mostly Discraft and yes, I like knowing what Nate and MJ throw, just like I'm interested in what other Discraft pros keep in their bag. That doesn't mean I choose to throw what they do. But when I grow up, I'd love to be able to throw a Force ace like Nate did at the Memorial. And I can only dream of carving up wooded courses with a Mantis and Comet like MJ did in the HOFC.

But am I glad Discraft focuses on making quality discs with consistent quality instead of paying $$$ to back more top 50 players? Yes.

Speaking of Discraft Pros, Pro-D has to be some of the worst baseline plastic on the market.

I dont know what happened to make you think this, but frankly you are way off base.
I have alot of pro d discraft discs that I feel they are the best base line plastic on the market.
I putt with challengers and love the d.

Im going to guess you bought a wide rimmed driver in pro d?

I dont know what happened to make you think this, but frankly you are way off base.
I have alot of pro d discraft discs that I feel they are the best base line plastic on the market.
I putt with challengers and love the d.

Im going to guess you bought a wide rimmed driver in pro d?

That's a negative. Buzzz OS that has been absolutely shredded after 3 rounds. I will not be buying any more Pro D plastic.

That's a negative. Buzzz OS that has been absolutely shredded after 3 rounds. I will not be buying any more Pro D plastic.

I have a pro D challenger that somewhat resembles a dog's chew toy. I think that helps it sit on approach shots... But yeah, I'm not a big Pro D guy. Their premium plastics are money though.

Discraft and Innovas old D and pro plastic and was incredible. This newish stuff from the last bunch of years has been a pretty big let down.. Basiclly feels like candle wax with less grip. It's a good thing other companies saw the gap in the market and capitalized, Lat zero hard and Prodigy 350 plastic is super nice. Gateway for all the odd runs of plastic they have for everything but putters is very nice as well.

Oh, the glory days when you could get a magnet or aviar is super stiff, grippy, and durable plastic... :thmbup: