• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disk golf on ball golf courses' does it work?

True, but there may be ways to make the disc golf more technical---at least on some ball golf courses.

Holes may run on the opposite side of the cart path from the fairway, with the path marking OB, creating a less-open fairway, perhaps with trees.

Holes could be created in the fringe areas, in whole or in part. Some ball golf courses have land that's not being used, or barely being used, that is very suitable for disc golf.

You could create 2 disc golf holes per ball golf hole, with the tees/baskets at the midpoint far enough out of the way to not impair the ball golfers. You could even create two stellar 18-hole disc golf courses on a single ball-golf course.

Other than the fringe areas, these concepts might still allow use of golf carts, and keep the disc golfers in the general flow of the ball golfers.

On the other hand, Reese's concept is one disc golf hole per ball golf hole. This enables disc golfers and ball golfers to play together, even share a cart, while playing their different-style games. But it does impose design limitions.

(Reese designed the River Chase course. In its original configuration, it wasn't very technical, but was very long---13,000 feet. Allows big arms to bomb some shots, especially off some very big hills, which is always fun. And of course if you to throw rollers, it's terrific.)

^Another thing I noticed about discing on a ball course is that we play our holes MUCH faster than ball golfers. Since we had a golf cart, another plus, we would just go back and play the hole again from a different tee (they had the red white and blue tees on each hole).

Reese designed the River Chase course. In its original configuration, it wasn't very technical, but was very long---13,000 feet. Allows big arms to bomb some shots, especially off some very big hills, which is always fun. And of course if you to throw rollers, it's terrific.

If you've always wanted a roller in your bag, a course of this nature is perfect for working a roller. I think when I played Sunday I threw more rollers off of the the tee than standard air shots. I had four birdie opportunities and three of those were because I was able to throw rollers off of the tee and in two cases my second shot was also a roller. Worse thing was the only birdie I was able to card was on the par 4 hole 12. I put it under the basket from about 280' out on a 600'+ hole.

I saw Sadjo get a sweet roller down off the #4 tee:
031dc0f8_t.jpg

Let's try this again...
I saw Sadjo get a sweet roller down off the #4 tee:
031dc0f8.jpg

The pin is some 600' away near the big green tree above the orange flag. You can't see it from the first shot, but the pin is protected on the right and front by another pond. So your drive must stay right of the first pond and land between the two water hazards.

02fea59d.jpg

This second pic shows the approach shot, and the second pond is now in view.
Sadjo's roller went past the front of this pond on the right side and turned and stopped high and dry.
I saw all of this from the hole 5 tee, so it was coming towards us for much of the run. Marvelous throw!

And River Chase is a great place for rollers. Even if you don't have the throw in your game yet, it's the best place to practice -- lots of open space, and the true golf fairways are uniformly smooth and cut, so you can really see what the disc wants to do based on angle of release, snap, angle of ground contact, turn, etc.
Sadjo's roller went

I just wanted to cry about Skyline being closed. It was an awesome ball/disc combo course. Nothing like crusin around in Golf Carts and chuckin plastic. Sadly they sold it and the new owners decided to yank the DG side of it.

:(

Here is a video showing the course off, part 2 can be found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cc9Jq3HCA

(not sure why but i cant get the embed feature to work)

I just wanted to cry about Skyline being closed. It was an awesome ball/disc combo course. Nothing like crusin around in Golf Carts and chuckin plastic. Sadly they sold it and the new owners decided to yank the DG side of it.

:(

Here is a video showing the course off, part 2 can be found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cc9Jq3HCA

(not sure why but i cant get the embed feature to work)

Since you're in the NW you might like to know the "By the Bottle Slosh" is coming up it's a small tourney that's being played at Lakeview Par 3 golf course in Vancouver,WA

Only comes out to a 10 hole course I guess but should be a fun event.

I just played a newish for this season i think course called Irish Waters which is on the Irish Waters golf club. It is a winter only course, and even on the best day to play probably all winter (high 20's, little snow, frozen ground so minimal mud) there was nobody there. It was an OK course, with no underbrush but enough trees to make it not just throwing accross an open feild a bunch of times. The path of the course was different than the ball golf course, and had some decent distance shots but little elevation and no tee signs or signs on the temporary baskets. without a map, navaigation was VERY hard.

I just played a newish for this season i think course called Irish Waters which is on the Irish Waters golf club. It is a winter only course, and even on the best day to play probably all winter (high 20's, little snow, frozen ground so minimal mud) there was nobody there. It was an OK course, with no underbrush but enough trees to make it not just throwing accross an open feild a bunch of times. The path of the course was different than the ball golf course, and had some decent distance shots but little elevation and no tee signs or signs on the temporary baskets. without a map, navaigation was VERY hard.

Did you find a blue star beast with barry schultz signature on the top? I am surprised it hasn't been found yet and if it is, I hope whoever kept it enjoys the personally signed disc because I sure would like to have it back!

I'm running a tournament at a golf course at the end of March. Went out last night to work on design. Its looking like it will be around par 65, including a par 6. Much of the course is on the fringe/edge of the golf course, which is actually some pretty solid disc golf land. Then of course we hop into some of the golf fairways to air out a few long ones. I'll post pictures/updates.

Hoping to eventually get permission for a permenent layout. Will probably run some glow events this year, since closing the course for a tournament is quite costly.

I know that I posted before about one of these being in Sarasota Florida, but it no longer exists, so I guess it didn't work down here. I think the biggest problem was the extreme length of the holes. Golf cart or no, I would not play a course where every hole is 900'-1500'!

I know that I posted before about one of these being in Sarasota Florida, but it no longer exists, so I guess it didn't work down here. I think the biggest problem was the extreme length of the holes. Golf cart or no, I would not play a course where every hole is 900'-1500'!

The course in Union, SC is 12,000+ from the long, 9,000+ from the medium and 7,000 from the short tees.

On the long course, the par 3 holes are 300-400' and the par 5 holes are 900-1,200'. I think it plays well...but no two rounds in a day...that can be a bit much.

It was a pretty decent course, more than what I expected for DG on a golf course (especially based on what I've read on reviews of those types of courses), and more than I expected for a winter-only course. I think the design could be tweaked just a little bit, which I'm sure will be done since it's a new course, and the tees definitely need to be maintained with the emphasis on a good solid tee shot based on most hole lengths. I really hope they go pay-to-play so there's guaranteed sure footing on tee shots, and I politely yet strongly recommended that to the staff.

One cool rumor I heard from Irish Waters is that they MIGHT consider doing on-season night DG events using this layout! :thmbup: