• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Goals for 2014

I'm satisfied with where I am at distance-wise. I would like to improve my putting and touch shots, though.

I need about 50' (360'ish to 410) more to be able to get in the circle on every par 3 in town. Hornets Nest #2 and Bradford #2, you'll be mine one day.

That said, hitting my relase point more reliably so that I don't clank trees on 300' tunnel shots is way more important for me to work on this year.

I like my forehand drives...maybe too much as I predominantly drive with flicks. The main objective for this year's driving distance will be to help my backhand match my forehand game. With consistency, here's what I'm aiming for:

Forehand - 350'

Backhand - 300'

I would like to get to consistent and accurate 350+ with my backhands then for forehands I have no distance wishes, my only goal is to be able to throw them at all...that boss I bought 3 years ago and threw for 6 months is still screwing me over.

This year, I'd like to be accurate and confident with 375'-400' drives. My 10s/11s are perfect for this distance and continue to be my controllable D/FW drivers. For open tee shots, I'm using the max weight 12s if there's any wind and I'm using bubble 12s in calm conditions. I'd like to be fairly accurate at 450' with these DDs. In good conditions though, the bubbles crush them all. Just sayin'.

I maxed out at 510' in a D contest (with a 10mph tail wind, pretty sure we were throwing destroyers that day) in 2008 shortly before having surgery to relieve a pinched nerve from a herniated disk…go figure. In my opinion, anything over 425' is all about hitting the right line/height for the chosen disc, assuming your technique is sound. Find the line, and you shall have your 500'.

And as far as technique goes, you can read about it all day long but it really boils down to "feel", the result of TONS of field practice. It's trial and error until the very first time you put a good move on the disc. When this happens, when your timing is perfect and the stars align, the off-axis torque will be noticeably mitigated and your rip finger will feel like the disc weighed about 10 lbs as it tears through space-time at warp speed. Pure, unadulterated magic. These flights are often followed by a fist pump and a wide smile. From there, it's all a matter of breaking down and understanding that feeling and duplicating it.

Made the thread this morning - could not really post at the time though, my planning period was almost over. :) But now that its lunch time...

Last year I hit the 560-70 range consistently in the summer. I spent all winter this year getting myself in fantastic shape. I'm legitimately the most powerful I've been through my entire core, never felt better. This year I spent the entire winter throwing as well, for the first time since winter of 2008-2009, coincidentally the last spring that I saw a distance bump was that following spring.

This year we just had our first nice day, where one could go out and get good footing in an open field with relatively calm conditions, and just open up. I was getting the disc a bit too nose up, but my height was good and I hit the 545' mark with about 45 degree temperatures, and an unfavorable breeze at the time (righty backhand, right to left cross breeze). I'm hoping when the temperature bumps up a little into the 70s and I get some calm or even slightly favorable conditions I can find that 600' range that I haven't hit without a 25MPH tailwind and a 150 class disc.

Id really like to hit 500ft FH on flat ground. I've done it downhill and with a big tailwind but my avg is 400-450 now.

Want to get my BH out around 400ft too I can't get it much over 325 right now. Hoping some form improvements and a new Katana will help that.

I'm mainly a RHBH thrower that maxes out at 300'-320' on flat with no wind, so I'd like to gain more distance there. But more importantly, I'd like to get more power behind my forehand. It's fairly accurate, but only gets to about 220'-250' on a good throw. That is from a standstill with barely any reachback, so I really just need to play around with it and see what works. Whenever I try to utilize any kind of runup it all falls apart.

I would like to see:

350' field work
300' golf lines

I'm at about 300' in the field and about 275' on the course right now.

Past: 380'ish on command with accuracy
I gained some distance in the last month after getting some form help on here
Currently: 400' 90% of the time with pretty solid accuracy Max: 450' on max D lines
Goals: 400' on a hyzer the whole way. Whatever the max D that comes with this will be plenty to make me happy this year.

For me putting practice happens at home after work and field work/distance work happens on the lunch break so the two don't compete for time.

Also, I don't see how anyone can say distance doesn't matter. Having the ability to throw massive hyzers like the touring pros changes the game in your favor. It also allows you to throw mids/putters that have much more predictable flight paths on a higher percentage of holes. I agree putting and accuracy are very important but distance does matter.

My goal is to get more consistenton distance drives. I'm capaple of a distance that I'm happy with, and I've been able to hit it consistently in the past when I'm practicing it regularly. Building and pretty much primarily playing a super technical course has done wonders for my midrange distance and accuracy. But put a driver in my hand and I don't know what to do any more. I need to find a local place to practice distance drives, or make more trips into red wing to play more open courses.

Distance tip:
Field practice. I usually throw over 200 feet, but when that slips a couple of hours in the field gets me right back up to max D.

Looking for 350' consistently this year Backhand. Looking for 300" forehand this year. Changed to push putting this winter. Almost 3000 push putts and 1000 straddle putts in the basement. Already paying off on the course

Well I've given into the adventures of discing down for the next several months. That aside, my goals are to be able to hit 350 consistently on a golf like with the abillity to push out to 375-380 in a field. My longest throws previously have been in the 340 range with a valk but that was nowhere near consistent.

I've been working crazy hard on form these past few weeks with 4-5 trips to the field per week and limited rounds at the course. All I'm throwing are mids and putters right now but I can, on a standstill (and a two finger grip) hit 225-240 with an M4/Truth. Hoping to be able to work in an x step soon (and since I'm now going to the GBO, sooner than anticipated) but right now I lose the strong weight transfer/heel pivot when I move away from the standstill. Muscle memory takes time. :)

For me I'm looking to hit 400 ft. Right now my max BH and FH are about 325, so I have a ways to go. I know it's all about utilizing my core and legs more, I have really bad strong arm habits I need to shake.

Also I've never actually field practiced, so that's on my list of things to do this weekend.

Looking to add another 25' to my controlled drives, which I figure is a realistic goal for the summer. This would translate as:
Hyzer & straight: 300' to 325'
Anhyzer: 325' to 350' (why I get more distance here I do not know)
Sidearm: 250' to 275'

Latest posts