• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance????

Well i've only done one sanctioned event so far, but im not rated 970 and can definitely throw 400+
That just means you have at least one of the elements to help you get to 970+ at some point. The fact that maybe half of the current players over 970 do not regularly get over 400 during golf throws means there's a lot more than distance needed to get there.

That just means you have at least one of the elements to help you get to 970+ at some point. The fact that maybe half of the current players over 970 do not regularly get over 400 during golf throws means there's a lot more than distance needed to get there.

Very true. Right now i'm working on improving my accuracy and control over distance. Although I would still love to hit 500 and beyond, it is not my number 1 priority right now.

I'm terrible, and I threw over 600 ft yesterday.

(My disc went about 250' into the street, took a short hop off the pavement, bounced off the fender of a car driving away from me, and took off at incredible speed. Sorry, Mr. Pickup Truck Driver. If you had stopped, let alone slowed down, I would have apologized to you in person. :( )

Seriously, though, I'm one of those people who throws pretty much any disc with a speed rating over 6 about 250' - 300'. I just strong-arm everything and need to work on my form big time.

Last edited:
I assume that the majority of players throw under 350. Most pros can probably throw at least 400 and definitely beyond.

One of the best ways to measure distance is to go to a flat field (or as flat as you can find), pick out "markers" (trees, bushes, etc) and throw from one marker to the other, then measure the max and average distance via Google Earth.

My average distance is around 360-380 with a PD. On a good "rip" I'm able to push it out to 400. I used to throw a deflashed Wraith that I was able to throw on a good "rip" around 425.

I credit most of my learning from reading DGR (especially Blake T). Unfortunately, DGR is more akin to a ghost-town nowadays, however the material in learning to throw further is still there. The thing about it is that you have to read and dig for good threads. The technique section does, however, have important threads stickied. Back in the day, DGR was great.

Can we break down the percentage of disc golfers by distance???

1. 300 feet or less---- 60%
2. 301 ft to 400 ft---- 20%
3. 401 ft to 500 ft---- 10%
4. 501 ft to 600 ft---- 5%
5. 601 ft to 700 ft---- 3%
6. 700 ft++++-------- 2%

i was curious to see what percent are you in????

I'm in the first group. I may have sneaked one or two drives past 300', but I only drive about 250' consistently.

The easiest way to measure is to go out to an football field. If you can throw from endzone to endzone, that's 300'. If you can go from the back of the endzone through the other endzone, then that's 360'+.
For the record, I have been playing 18 months, and I can throw 250-280 consistently. Every once in a while I can crank one out to 300.

Open field distance does not matter much except perhaps on par 4 or 5 holes where you can just crush it in an open fairway. The real meaning in this question and for that matter any question regarding your "true golf distance" is primarily three values. How far can you throw a hyzer or hyzer stall in a reasonably wide fairway say 40 feet wide? How far can you throw straight or a shallow S-flex, again 40 ft wide? And then how far can you throw either your anhyzer or forehand, again in that 40 ft wide fairway?

Yes, you could substitute thumbers for any of those shots but no rollers since you can't always count on good ground. I'm thinking the average of these three numbers or literally tracking these three numbers separately would be a more accurate gauge of your reliable golf distance. What you need to do is find accurately measured holes long enough as reference points or artificially create them by throwing closer to the edge of fields. I'm probably a 315-335-295 in summer.

I'll go with group 2 for me. Can I throw over 400'? Sure, but it's not gonna hold a hyzer the whole time and I can only do it about 1 in 3 times. Also i believe it was mentioned but 310 and 390 is a huge difference since many people plateau right at 350'. And I've never seen a person that I would consider to be in the 5 and 6 group including top pros.

Open field distance does not matter much except perhaps on par 4 or 5 holes where you can just crush it in an open fairway. The real meaning in this question and for that matter any question regarding your "true golf distance" is primarily three values. How far can you throw a hyzer or hyzer stall in a reasonably wide fairway say 40 feet wide? How far can you throw straight or a shallow S-flex, again 40 ft wide? And then how far can you throw either your anhyzer or forehand, again in that 40 ft wide fairway?

Yes, you could substitute thumbers for any of those shots but no rollers since you can't always count on good ground. I'm thinking the average of these three numbers or literally tracking these three numbers separately would be a more accurate gauge of your reliable golf distance. What you need to do is find accurately measured holes long enough as reference points or artificially create them by throwing closer to the edge of fields. I'm probably a 315-335-295 in summer.

Something like this? 670ft

1aa7ebb2.jpg

Grass is technically OB and much more punishing than you might expect. That can't be more than 50ft wide. Seems like a good example of what CGK was talking about.

Grass is technically OB and much more punishing than you might expect. That can't be more than 50ft wide. Seems like a good example of what CGK was talking about.

Yeah but it doesn't make you stay within that width in flight. It's a placement limitation, not a shot shaping limitation.

Yeah but it doesn't make you stay within that width in flight. It's a placement limitation, not a shot shaping limitation.

By that definition max d is simply what the course affords you.

By that definition max d is simply what the course affords you.

I think maybe you didn't read Chuck's post very carefully to understand what he was getting at. His point was that usable distance on a disc golf course is different from what you can do in a wide open field and that you'd have to measure them differently. You posted a picture of a wide open field and I pointed out why it wasn't applicable to Chuck's point.

Different people are going to have really different abilities to get distance when they have trees on both sides. Some folks who can throw huge flex shots and land in the fairway you showed might not be able to throw more than 300' when they can't take that line. Others who only have 350' of field distance might be able to get all of that in a tight straight line.

Next time I'm doing driving practice I want to see hoe far I can throw based on Chuck's parameters. Should be interesting. And maybe eye-opening.

I think distance should be measured on how far u can throw a pure hyzer because that doesn't have as many variables and that accurately portrays golf distance.. just my two cents..

I think maybe you didn't read Chuck's post very carefully to understand what he was getting at. His point was that usable distance on a disc golf course is different from what you can do in a wide open field and that you'd have to measure them differently. You posted a picture of a wide open field and I pointed out why it wasn't applicable to Chuck's point.

Different people are going to have really different abilities to get distance when they have trees on both sides. Some folks who can throw huge flex shots and land in the fairway you showed might not be able to throw more than 300' when they can't take that line. Others who only have 350' of field distance might be able to get all of that in a tight straight line.

I get what he's saying but it sounds like you guys are comparing "shapeable" distance with max d, which is impossible to measure and depends entirely on what type of hole it is.

Also I would argue "open field" means no consequences for placement. For instance, that 380' hole Mike C likes to use to test discs.

I understand his point in that no one really cares how far you can David Wiggins in the desert your shiz if you can't control it. If he meant tunnel/columnar shots only then w/e.

I think the goal of this exercise might be to come up with standardized disc golf power throws of some sort which are closely convertible to a player's distance potential for other golf throws. My suspicion is that max open field distance is not a good predictor of a player's distance potential for the more common types of power throws a player would need to make on a course. I'm not tied to the 40 ft width being "the" spec for these throws. But it seems like a compromise between wide open and the 20 ft wide fairways or pinch points common on many wooded holes.

I suspect that practicing to increase your distance in my proposed three throws would improve your golf game more than practicing open field shots other than developing your power. And, it's likely players would be able to find holes or field locations in their area where they could practice and measure their progress. For me, I have no forehand so I have to throw anhyzer. I suspect a lot of players cannot throw a 40 ft wide anhyzer or forehand as far as their golf distance hyzer. So when someone asks how far they can throw for golf distance, I suspect they are thinking hyzer or straight distance and overlook their opposite turn distance.

How far can you throw a hyzer or hyzer stall in a reasonably wide fairway say 40 feet wide? How far can you throw straight or a shallow S-flex, again 40 ft wide? And then how far can you throw either your anhyzer or forehand, again in that 40 ft wide fairway?...

I suspect that practicing to increase your distance in my proposed three throws would improve your golf game more than practicing open field shots other than developing your power.

As of last August or September I was around 410', 440' and I think 440'. Stupid body just won't stop falling apart though so I don't know where those numbers have dropped to.

I've noticed that hyzer distance has always been shorter than straight or anhyzer.

I would have to agree, but at the same time it seems almost obvious that this should be done with fieldwork.

Last edited:
Can we break down the percentage of disc golfers by distance???

1. 300 feet or less---- 60%
2. 301 ft to 400 ft---- 20%
3. 401 ft to 500 ft---- 10%
4. 501 ft to 600 ft---- 5%
5. 601 ft to 700 ft---- 3%
6. 700 ft++++-------- 2%

i was curious to see what percent are you in????

Ill start off i am in the #2 :| i would like to be in the #3 group:thmbup::thmbup:

I'm definitely in the .2 category. On a flat rip we have a hole at my local course that is 360'. I'm usually 20' to 25' short or past it on most drives. I'd probably say I'm good between 340' to 350' conservatively.