• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Division Help

ZDotHalbach

Eagle Member
So I recently played in the Wisconsin Disc Golf Tour Finale and I played in junior because that is what I played the whole tour. In the first round I was paired with one of the TDs and another girl, at the end of the round he asked us if we had a special request of who we wanted to play with. I told him that I would play with any card he put me on so he asked me if I was interested in playing with the lead card in open to see if i could learn something and at first I was a little scared but I told him that I was up for the challenge. As I got to the next course that I have never played before he double checked if it was ok and I was very excited to play with these top pros. As we played the round the guys on my card were super nice and even though they didn't verbally give me any pointers (which I was not expecting) I did learn a ton of tips just by watching their body language. I beat all 3 of them on only one hole by making a 40 footer. At the end of the round they all told me how shocked they were by my playing ability. The best score on the card was 3 under then 2 under then 1 under and I shot 6 over. When I accepted my trophy they were all yelling that everyone should watch out for me because they were very impressed.
Now here's my question. I have played tournaments in Int before and sucked. What division should I play? Did I shoot what I thought was well because I was tryin to keep up with these guys? I know that I'm not moving up to open until I can throw 450' and be fairly consistent from 40' and in. What do you think I should I do beside practice? Sorry for the long kind of pointless story. Thanks for the help!

I would play INT as long as you feel comfortable. You will learn more there than playing in Juniors. You might not win or place everytime, but it gives you something to aim for and will help you gain consistency.

Not to sound like a dick, but you are rated 871 so you have a long ways to go before you even have to play adv. I would play INT. until your rating makes you move up or you feel like you are really good.

I have a habit of playing one bad round ( almost always my first) and one good round ( immediately after). If I were to play both rounds the same as my second, I would be competitive in adv. However, I end up somewhere in the middle of the pack in int. Maybe I do not warm up correctly or enough, or maybe it is nerves. I have decided I will play adv. in the next tournament, not worry about winning and just have a good time. I believe I will pick up on bits of neat advice and without the pressure of trying to win, hopefully play better. That is just me.

Not to sound like a dick, but you are rated 871 so you have a long ways to go before you even have to play adv. I would play INT. until your rating makes you move up or you feel like you are really good.

Totally understand not a dick move at all just a good piece of advice. Thanks

871 rating... play rec until you win one or two. Get experience playing on the lead card where any shot could mean the end to your chance of winning a tournament and you can handle the pressure. Once you win a few, or after your rating goes over 900, move up to intermediate and repeat. Have fun!

I would be careful moving up too fast. I would play junior events whenever there is a field. Judging by your rating and a couple of recent rounds it looks like your still a rec skilled player. You're still young, win a couple rec tournaments then move up.

I'm kind of stuck in rec, so I know your eagerness to move up. I just wish I had the skill! We'll see how the next ratings update puts me, but I am doing a Rec Tourney this weekend which I plan on being my last. The cool thing about our sport is it is a very individual competition..sure you are competing against other players in tournaments, but really the goal is to improve yourself each time out. As long as you are doing that, you should move into whatever division allows you to do so.

The caveat to that is that I agree with everyone else. As long as Rec is offered, I would stick with that. Maybe set yourself a goal based on time, like, "by July of 2013 I will play in intermediate". That will force you to really focus on improving your game, rather than waiting for your rating to catch up.

Basing your decision on one round is a bad idea. One of the biggest distinguishing factors seperating open from other dvisions is consistency. Open players can shoot at that level on almost every tournament round they play. There are many int to adv players that can hang with open players for one round, but can just as easily see negative swings where they're not even close to competing. Stick with the lower divisions and build your tournament experience and consistency.

Was it a case where Axldog Acres suits your game? How did it compare to the round at Wakanda?

I started in Intermediate 5 years ago and wish I had played Recreational first. See where your rating goes after the next update. The Wisconsin Tour is nice in that it's long enough to start out playing Rec and if you're excelling, move up to Intermediate and still be in the points race.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I never played rec (I was playing DG for a while before I played a tournament) but I hear it can be too relaxed with rules. I also don't understand the concept of winning the lowest available division. Intermediate sounds like a good place for you to have fun.
My advise to anyone is, move up when you don't have to shoot what you think is a good round to beat most of the division. If you play bad and finish in the top %25, move up.

well it seems you play better with better competition so id say with your rating play int.

Latest posts