• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Do u throw wet discs? Best grip?

Northwest Chucker

Bogey Member
So the rain is here and my current mid setup is not as grippy or good feeling as in the dry! What plastic or discs to you break out when the rain hits? What's good. Keeping em as dry as I can, but seems like an r pro or vibram mold is a good idea for these conditions. But since r pro is not that durable, vibram shoots to the top of my list! Is there a decent plastic alternative or should I stay focused on vibram stuff? Or tell me about what u love to throw in the wet.

I just keep my discs dry. I towel them off if they get wet, and try my best to keep my hands dry. If there's no hope for keeping them dry, then I just adjust and throw them wet. If you know the disc is wet, it's not as hard to throw it accurately as you might think.

dx discs work just fine in the wet! also i keep about 10 towels in 3 or 4 different zip lock bags to keep them dry for when the 2 or 3 that i have out stop working well i can grab a fresh one!

THis is the only problem i have with Ions, hard to throw when wet/cold/etc

I just bought 3 classic judges to alleviate that problem :)

Base plastic discs from any manufacturer tend to do pretty well when wet, I throw a lot of Innova DX and Gateway S and don't have issues in the rain/snow with either. The vibram stuff is a great combo of durability and grip, I haven't tested them extensively but I've felt them on a cold wet day and they seemed like they'd do really well.

Personally, I always carry a towel to wipe discs, whether wet or dry. I don't like the slick feel of moisture or the dusty feel of sand/dirt between hand and disc (hence, not a fan of Birdie Bags). That said, it's not nearly as big a deal with some materials as it is with others. Champ and Z may be the toughest stuff out there, but IMO, they have the least grip, and need to be wiped off moreso than pretty much anything else.

I'll echo the base plastic and Vibram sentiments. I particularly like the way Vibram rubber feels in the hand in all conditions. I also like Elite X and Pro plastic for grip and feel.

To their credit, the trilogy of Lat 64, Westside, DD seems to have developed blends (Opto, VIP, Lucid) that are about as tough as Champ and Z, but with better grip.

Last edited:
I have base plastic replacements for when it's raining for all my premium plastic mids. I also throw my Ibex a lot more.

For drivers I usually throw my Icon and Pinnacle Patriots a lot when my towels get too wet to effectively dry my discs. Their plastic just seems to have a lot more grip than the other manufacturers I carry.

My fav. Is DX glow
But all of my opto is pretty good (way better than CH or Z)
The few VIP discs I have almost are better if you don't wipe them off.

I usually throw my r-pro stuff in the rain.

So the rain is here and my current mid setup is not as grippy or good feeling as in the dry! What plastic or discs to you break out when the rain hits? What's good. Keeping em as dry as I can, but seems like an r pro or vibram mold is a good idea for these conditions. But since r pro is not that durable, vibram shoots to the top of my list! Is there a decent plastic alternative or should I stay focused on vibram stuff? Or tell me about what u love to throw in the wet.

I bought an ABC gold line disc (Flying Squirrel) off the Marketplace here and it was so slick that I was going to give it away. Then, as I was spraying the bottom corners of my new bag with clear Plasti-dip, I eyed that slick disc sitting in the pile next to my bag. I hit it with a single coat top, bottom, and along the side of the rim where your fingers touch and shazamm, it's a grippy beast now. Just to test it fully, I threw it wet and it grips as good as my vintage DX which is sayin' something.

It may not be PDGA legal but for an otherwise useless disc?

Play wet. I do every time. Id rather have a consistant wet feel than an overly grippy disc and half moist hands. Instead of spending time trying to stay dry I just do nothing and just play wet.

My vibram has been spot on during rain. The mediums and softs more than the firms. I have an all Vibram bag specifically for rainy days.

Play wet. I do every time. Id rather have a consistant wet feel than an overly grippy disc and half moist hands. Instead of spending time trying to stay dry I just do nothing and just play wet.

I agree. To a point. I use microfiber towels to remove excess moisture and mud/debris.

Particularly in the heat of summer, I will wet my towel with water and moisten my throwing hand before throws. Must be my skin type, but I can't stand dusty dry discs.

I just keep my discs dry. I towel them off if they get wet, and try my best to keep my hands dry. If there's no hope for keeping them dry, then I just adjust and throw them wet. If you know the disc is wet, it's not as hard to throw it accurately as you might think.
:thmbup: Couldn't of said it any better myself

soft plastic drivers work very well when wet. i have 2 eco swans from westside that are super grippy when wet. id like to see that plastic in driver molds.

I agree. To a point. I use microfiber towels to remove excess moisture and mud/debris.

Particularly in the heat of summer, I will wet my towel with water and moisten my throwing hand before throws. Must be my skin type, but I can't stand dusty dry discs.

I love the dusty dry discs its just when it rains out its tough to keep my hands dry and get that good slick feeling I like so I hate th semi moist feeling that gives you the really grippy feel, so I play wet to give me less grip.

Vibram for sure, but I've also really like a couple of discs I have in a lattitude64 test plastic in the rain. It just can't get wet. Really. You drop it in a puddle. You pick it up. And it's try. But it's not very durable and can get flippy fast. I wish I had a jacket made out of it.

Latest posts