• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you hyzer flip?!

do you throw hyzer flips?

• Yes

Votes: 177 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Wut? i flex errrrrythang.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
I remember the first time I understood a hyzerflip.

We were on the way to the beach and this rest stop had a big grassy area, so I throw some shots with a beat DX Aviar. Accidentally gave it some angle and it pops up and goes as far as my backhand drives did at the time.

Good lesson to learn.

Have no idea. It was an orbital and actually didnt turn much at all justa slight helix.

My point was throwing hyzer flips takes away many of the "variables" he was talking about. You can get sloppier with release angle and heighg etc bc you're manipulating the disc to fly straight regardless. Get off a little on a so called "flat throw" and welp... Better have that OS plastic on hand'

FWIW i also learned how to hyzer flip throwing FHs. Skeeter and monarch. YOULIKETHAT?!

I'm not talking about "flat throw", I'm talking about hyzer-flip with stable discs vs understable. Pro's do it all the time(watch them)....you think they're hyzer-flipping Roadrunners and Mambas out there? lol

Most of us "learn" to hyzer-flip with understable discs. As power and armspeed increase, uhh...well...

I do throw hyzerflips, but that isn't necessarily my preferred method of distance driving. I find it a bit inconsistent. You're hoping you put that understable disc on the right angle and gave it enough arm. I'd rather just throw a more stable disc flat.

I just grabbed a Zephyr off my desk... How the hell do you get a comfortable grip to forehand that puppy?! :eek: Just feels like the rim is gouging into my hand and I have decent sized hands...

It's the only disc I FH with a "peace sign" two finger. Obviously you have to finesse the heck out of it and Beastie Boy it (slow and low, that is the tempo) in order for it to work.

EDIT: I also make sure the pad of my middle finger is in the inside of the disc and not touching the bottom of the disc. You can even curl it slightly to get it off your finger a little. As someone else told me: I don't do anything normal hahaha :)

Last edited:
I'm not talking about "flat throw", I'm talking about hyzer-flip with stable discs vs understable. Pro's do it all the time(watch them)....you think they're hyzer-flipping Roadrunners and Mambas out there? lol

Most of us "learn" to hyzer-flip with understable discs. As power and armspeed increase, uhh...well...

This is wrong for the vast majority of players, including pros. If you have under 500' power you are not flipping a stable disc over with speed alone. You need OAT or a nose down trajectory to achieve this, and you can flip stable discs without much power at all with those two factors to begin with.

This is wrong for the vast majority of players, including pros. If you have under 500' power you are not flipping a stable disc over with speed alone. You need OAT or a nose down trajectory to achieve this, and you can flip stable discs without much power at all with those two factors to begin with.

No, no...no OAT involved. I'm really talking about hyzer-flip "drives" with a stable disc vs understable. Approach shots is a different story. I mean if you're looking at a low power 150' approach shot, then yeah, hyzer-flip with an understable mid or putter.

Your 500' number is way too high. Crazy!

No, no...no OAT involved. I'm really talking about hyzer-flip "drives" with a stable disc vs understable. Approach shots is a different story. I mean if you're looking at a low power 150' approach shot, then yeah, hyzer-flip with an understable mid or putter.

We are talking about the same thing and disagreeing. I do not believe you can flip a stable disc with speed alone unless your speed is outrageous.

Aren't you a sidearm guy too? Not very many hyzer flippers who mostly sidearm.

I'll throw FH hyzer flipping to straight for tunnel shots. Mostly with my seasoned eagle L, although sometimes with a champ sidewinder if I'm really trying to stretch it.

It's the only disc I FH with a "peace sign" two finger. Obviously you have to finesse the heck out of it and Beastie Boy it (slow and low, that is the tempo) in order for it to work.

EDIT: I also make sure the pad of my middle finger is in the inside of the disc and not touching the bottom of the disc. You can even curl it slightly to get it off your finger a little. As someone else told me: I don't do anything normal hahaha :)

This technique sounds familiar. I'm moving away from the "peace sign" grip for putters and mids, but anything large diameter and deep I'll still use it.

I'd think that a lot of people with ultimate frisbee backgrounds could hyzer flip a zephyr without too much trouble.

The difference to me is fade. If I crank a more stable disc on a hyzerflip, it generally fades back left too hard for the type holes I use the shot for.

I do it for sure but its more of a controlled straight with fade shot when using stable discs. Basically taking any chance of ending right out of the equation. Stable discs can be hyzer flipped but not the line I was referring to in the OP.

Im talking some big jerm FH m4 kinda sheeeeet!

I do it for sure but its more of a controlled straight with fade shot when using stable discs. Basically taking any chance of ending right out of the equation. Stable discs can be hyzer flipped but not the line I was referring to in the OP.

Im talking some big jerm FH m4 kinda sheeeeet!

Ok, I hear ya on that. Wasn't sure if we were talking same thing for awhile there. Sometimes that little hook on the end of a hyzer-flip to straight can be a safety valve though. Minimal fade stable discs, not OS.

I voted no
I mostly throw flat.
I occasionally flip stuff, but I have to practice a lot before it's consistent at all.
I usually end up spraying them all over.

I love flipping comets, gauges, super beat esp buzzes, beat patriots, pro destroyers, super beat icon rampages.

8d7fb662.jpg
Was doing some mean hyzer flip work tonight with an MVP octane ive been beating in. 3'd hole 14 at elm creek park with an easy circle putt.

The pin is waaay the eff up on the top of the hill on the other side of the picture. Huge downhill drive and uphill. I took a crazy outside line 2nd shot around that group of trees on the upper left due to cross/tailwind which let it ride out and fade towards the basket. Was so sick.. I clapped for myself'

Latest posts