• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you profit from DG?

Do you profit from DG?

• Yes

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 199 82.6%

• Total voters
Answered yes.

I keep a spreadsheet of my entries vs cashing. This includes everything from casual skins rounds to the pro worlds. Includes money spent on side pots like ace funds or 50/50's. Does not include discs, clothing, or gas.

Not enough to get rich. :mad:

Never profited off of DG. That is why I stopped playing PDGA and organized golf in general. The unshakeable pattern for me was giving hundreds of dollars a year and not getting anything in return. I am satisfied paying for gear and playing on my own terms. I don't need to pay to play or battle against other people to love this game. Challenging myself is my reward. But hey, it would be really exciting to enter a PDGA tournament knowing that I could walk away with some $.

I voted yes because I don't buy a whole lot of gear. When I do get something "new" it is usually a used disc or a merch payout.

I don't count gas because if I wasn't driving to the course, I'd be driving somewhere else. I don't count clothes because I have to wear something & have very little disc golf specific apparel. So, at the end of the year, my "net profit" is probably $5-$10...

No need to profit from something I love. Profiting from it would make me look at it like a business in a way and take away from it all.

I played in one monthly tournament, Entry was $5, I won it and won $13.....so I guess I'm +$8 :clap:
Congrats on the win! but until you sell that disc for more than $5.00 cash I would say you are still in the hole $5.00:D

at least you got a new disc for $5.00 though.:clap:

I have either profited or broke even with the amount of money just from aces that I have hit( I have hit some pretty big money aces) and cash here and there at local minis and random times we play for money

I made over 1500 in profit from buying discs at low price at places such as PIAS, innova proshop on first releases, ebay steals and selling them and making large profits at times. In the end on the year I guarantee I lost alot of money on the sport because I can only imagine the gas money I spent on driving from course to course all year long as I played 600 rounds at 75 courses. Many times I went on long trips where it was a 40 dollar gas tank, driving to and from leagues all the time where I participated in 50ish leagues last season, making sure to hit up a PIAS a few miles out of the way as well. In the end I am probably down a couple grand on gas money alone from last season.

Ive spent more on my disc golf bag and discs than I did on my ball golf bag and clubs.

38 people said yes?!?! I'm not buying it. After all the gas I burn and discs I lose and all the stupid extra purchases (food drinks crap etc.) I make en route to play, I'm way way way down. The only time dg gives me back anything is when I get lucky and win wednesday glow dubs. And that's not much. I don't think anyone besides touring pros is making $$$ playing dg. And really even the pros aren't making any money after expenses. If they win $25000 a year (which seems pretty lofty) they gotta live, and a person would be living meagerly on that much money. Bottom line, I don't think there's money to be made from dg except for a few retailers with strict business models.

38 people said yes?!?! I'm not buying it. After all the gas I burn and discs I lose and all the stupid extra purchases (food drinks crap etc.) I make en route to play, I'm way way way down. The only time dg gives me back anything is when I get lucky and win wednesday glow dubs. And that's not much. I don't think anyone besides touring pros is making $$$ playing dg. And really even the pros aren't making any money after expenses. If they win $25000 a year (which seems pretty lofty) they gotta live, and a person would be living meagerly on that much money. Bottom line, I don't think there's money to be made from dg except for a few retailers with strict business models.

ya I guess I didn't factor in gas,food and other things that go along with DG

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! $1000 trip, win tournament $184 in merch...lol. Still a bagger.

I voted yes because I don't buy a whole lot of gear. When I do get something "new" it is usually a used disc or a merch payout.

I don't count gas because if I wasn't driving to the course, I'd be driving somewhere else. I don't count clothes because I have to wear something & have very little disc golf specific apparel. So, at the end of the year, my "net profit" is probably $5-$10...

Lol...at the end of the year you figure you made about $5? Thats pretty detailed record keeping.

If most of us had collected aluminum cans from the course and returned them just for scrap instead of playing we'd have a few thousand dollars at the end of the year ... even if you counted gas.

Hah. Good luck with that. My dad collects an entire season's worth (April-October) of cans from a fairly busy 9 hole (ball) golf course (believe me, golfers know how to drink). The mountain of cans that we pile on the snowmobile trailer is pretty incredible. Every year we get around 700 lbs of cans, worth around $350. Not exactly a way to get rich quick :/