• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does a pole hole ace count???

Do pole hole aces count toward your ace count?

• Yes they count!! A pole hole ace is as hard to get as a basket's ace so Yes.

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • No they dont count!! Pole hole aces are not "countable" aces.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • It kind of depends, explain ???

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quick answer: Was it your first shot? Did you put a "1" on the card? If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then it is a legit Ace. It may not be as gratifying, but it is still an Ace in my book.

This is the right answer ^.

On our course, it only counts if it hits the "bell"; pole or base does not count.

I have not seen one post here to defend the position of why a tone pole ace would not count. Yet there are 5 votes for no and 5 for depends. Hmmm....

LOL. Hey Terry, you bored or something? Playing that old Riverside course?

Wassup Stray? Yeah, I like to change things up once in a while. In Grand rapids we have a few pole hole courses:

Old riverside (original pole course before the new course and baskets were installed)

Johnson Park (had 18 baskets, all were stolen, went to 18 poles)

Garfield park (18 poles, ghetto park, baskets wouldnt last a week without being stolen)

I think Zman44 had it right. If you put a 1 on the scorecard, then it's an Ace. Seems pretty clear to me.

I have not seen one post here to defend the position of why a tone pole ace would not count. Yet there are 5 votes for no and 5 for depends. Hmmm....

I'll be that guy, just to draw the fire of everyone who would disagree.
and I really do believe this:

Getting an "ace" on a tone pole is no more an ace than a grown man hitting a ball out of a little league field is a home run. Yes, technically, it would count if you were playing a game, but I personally can't take it seriously.

did you write down a 1? sure. but it just isn't the same, IMHO. I wouldn't tell someone I aced that hole, as I don't consider it a real ace. Just saying.

I think Zman44 had it right. If you put a 1 on the scorecard, then it's an Ace. Seems pretty clear to me.

Is it really that clear?

On the final hole of a PDGA major tournament where you sit in second place by a single throw, if you toss your first throw directly into the basket, then are penalized for a courtesy violation (your second of the round) for screaming "YEAHEAHEAH! SUCK IT!" into your previously-one-throw-ahead cardmate's face, you must record the score as a 2. Is that an ace?

In a PDGA X-tier tournament where mulligans & anti-mulligans are allowed, you shank your drive into the woods. You choose to utilize a mulligan, after which you throw your second drive directly into the basket, noting a "1" on the card & collecting a fat $72 ace pot. Is that an ace?

In a PDGA X-tier tournament where mulligans & anti-mulligans are allowed, you park your drive, having it come to rest leaning on the basket's pole. Your opponent chooses to utilize an anti-mulligan, after which you throw your second drive directly into the basket, noting a "1" on the card & collecting a fat $72 ace pot. Is that an ace?

I voted it depends based on the fact that the option for yes it counts states that it is just as difficult as an ace in a basket. I've hit center chains more times than I can recall, and most of them don't stick. If it was a tone pole, those spit outs would all be aces.

What about a DROT on a pole hole? Does that count too?

(I've seen a disc come to rest on top of a 4x4 so it's not unthinkable ...)

I think I need to change my Ace count to accommodate the old Deerfield days... Used to be an 18 hole setup with 9 Pole Holes.

Here's my gripe (keep in mind I DESPISE Tone poles or Pole Holes now): What if you nick it as you are flying by so it is not a direct hit? Does that count, or does it have to hit and then lay down right there indicating a "Direct hit". If I kissed the chains and spit out, it would not count. This is a concept that does not exist with Pole Holes.

Hey humchris85, we need your input here: One of the most interesting courses I've had the pleasure to play is the Redwood Curtain, Awesome course but TonePoles.

If I hit it in 1, then I score a 1. If you don't want to call it an ace, no problem, but it is still a 1 on the scorecard.

Im glad this thread spun off some different viewpoints and discussions. Ive always been interested in others views of the "pole" vs. the "basket" and the opinions of different golfers in different areas of the country.

Latest posts