• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does a pole hole ace count???

Do pole hole aces count toward your ace count?

• Yes they count!! A pole hole ace is as hard to get as a basket's ace so Yes.

Votes: 76 81.7%
  • No they dont count!! Pole hole aces are not "countable" aces.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • It kind of depends, explain ???

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im glad this thread spun off some different viewpoints and discussions. Ive always been interested in others views of the "pole" vs. the "basket" and the opinions of different golfers in different areas of the country.

Terry!! Did you hit poll where basket would be! I'll take your word and if so them I guess count it!!

i like where people have said you have to hear the "bell" sound in order to count it as a hit. But i also agree with tStacks10 that if you hit it and it just grazes it then continues flying it wouldn't count with a basket so it shouldn't count with a pole. And as far at DROT, i think it should count the same as with a basket, you should have to add the stroke for taking it off the top and hitting the basket.

i like where people have said you have to hear the "bell" sound in order to count it as a hit. But i also agree with tStacks10 that if you hit it and it just grazes it then continues flying it wouldn't count with a basket so it shouldn't count with a pole. And as far at DROT, i think it should count the same as with a basket, you should have to add the stroke for taking it off the top and hitting the basket.

That!!!

Terry!! Did you hit poll where basket would be! I'll take your word and if so them I guess count it!!

Yeah, my ace was at about chain height, half way up the pole. It wouldn't have mattered where on the pole it hit though because theres no height requirement, just hit the pole anywhere and you "hole out", thats how everybody plays around here at least. Thats kind of why I'm asking this question because you can bump the bottom of a pole with a "skipper" or hit the very top of the pole and it counts, but it doesn't count with a basket. So therefore is a pole ace a legitimate ace? Its kind of a grey area so a poll sounded interesting.

I hit an ace recently at a pole course. The pole was about 300 feet from the tee so it definitely wasn't a "gimme" ace. I was just wondering what other people thought about pole hole aces. Do you count them as an ace? I searched for this topic but didnt see anything so I thought Id do a poll and see what you guys think.

gimme ace??? i don't think anyone's good enough for a gimme ace. never heard of that one. i can see it now...."ehhhhh it's only 250ft out, it's a gimme. Put me down for a hole in one"...next tee.

I choose "it depends" because I don't agree with the statement that it's as hard to hit as the chain ace....still an ace if it's a tone pole course, but not nearly as difficult to hit as the real deal...the infamous chain banger.

Even harder -- the silent no chains ace (my cubby)

Last edited:
I voted wrong, sorry. I didn't read down and realize you were talking about tone poles.
Count it as an ace!

Well originally I was talking about just a basic pole, about 7 feet high because thats what we have here at all our pole courses, but I kind of forgot about some courses using tone poles so that changes things. I think with a tone pole you obviously have to hit the metal part for it to count but with a wooden pole you just have to make contact anywhere on it. I think some people are mixing the 2 different "poles" up when they are making their poll descisions.

gimme ace??? i don't think anyone's good enough for a gimme ace. never heard of that one. i can see it now...."ehhhhh it's only 250ft out, it's a gimme. Put me down for a hole in one"...next tee.

Still an ace if it's a tone pole course, but not nearly as difficult to hit as the real deal...the infamous chain banger.

Even harder -- the silent no chains ace (my cubby)

Yeah, I was just trying to infer that it definitely wasn't an easy shot to ace so I used the term "gimme". It may or may not be as difficult as hitting an ace into a basket, thats why I was wondering what everybody thought about this. Speaking of the "silent" ace I did see my buddy hit the top of the basket and his disc shot about 20 feet up in the air and came down into the basket with no chains disturbed for a sweet ace, it was pretty awesome!!

now that...sir...would be to tight lol:thmbup:. mine wedged itself halfway through the bottom of the bucket. deadly silent...i sure wasn't though.

ACE... If your putt counts your ACE counts. Those poles look like they're harder to hit than a basket. The pole is like 6 inches wide, a basket is like 20 inches wide, so if that pole was a basket it would have dropped. ACE! Does the "gong" sound as sweet as chains?

If Steady ED grazed a fire hydrant from 300 feet would you make him putt? I guess this is why he made the chains.