• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Does Anyone Still Cycle Rocs?

VajraChild

Hi, all. I'm just curious if players out there still cycle Rocs, especially DX and KC Pro. With all the excellent mids in so many awesome plastics out there, it seems so old school to cycle Rocs.

Yet I keep coming back to it. I've used the Verdict, Truth, Fuse combo a lot and that's pretty damn good. I've tried the Mace, Ghost, Gauge, Core, Warship, Buzzz, Wasp, and Prodigy's M line. But I keep returning to my beloved Rocs. They just seem to fly better for me, to do things the others don't. My home courses are heavily wooded, so it takes a toll on base plastic but I still just love em.

And it really seems like having a disc that's beat to understable is more reliable than a disc that starts out understable. Maybe because I threw it so long to get it there.

How do you feel? Have you moved on past the Rocs to other mids in premium plastic? Anyone like me keep sneaking back to a dirty, chipped pile of Rocs?

I quit after several crappy runs of dx. Moved on to the comet which flies like a nicely beat in roc in premium plastic.

Pretty much the only mid i throw.

I tried the cycling Rocs thing and it's just not for me. I'm currently rocking the Wasp/Buzzz/Theory (similar to a Meteor, but better all around imo) combo and it's working great for me. That being said, I really like Rocs and honestly beat in DX plastic is the best feeling stuff out there no question. But it's just not for me. If you keep coming back to it, why would you quit? :thmbup:

Cycler getting started right here. Currently carrying a DX Ontario, KC Rancho, and 06 Champ while my KC starts straightening out (and eventually turning over). The Ontario replaced a Bigger Bird DX that just wasn't turning like I needed yet, and I prefer the feel of KC Pro to DX (the Ontario feels more like KC than current DX) so this has worked out well.

Even with all the great mids on the market today, I feel like you just can't beat Rocs. They're just too damn versatile.

Good question. Mainly because the wooded courses are so hard on base plastic. I usually drift back toward premium because it holds up so much better.

It takes a long time to get a Roc to start turning. Woods are essential for an efficient cycle.

Yes. Fresh KC, slightly beat KC, beat DX, thrashed DX. That plus a Gator is my whole mid line up.

Yes but I am arguably becoming a retro grouch. I'm currently carrying three; KC Pro flat top, KC Pro, and USDGC champion Rancho.

I am fairly new to disc golf and have taken an extreme liking to DX Roc's. However, recently I've decided I would like to carry less disc, mainly cut back on having to cycle DX Rocs's. I currently carry 3 DX Roc's, Champ Roc3, Champ Mako3 and occasionally a Sokibomb Compass. I don't mind the Roc3, the Mako3 I love how it flies but hate the way it feels and the Compass is just "Ehh" IMHO.

I mainly play heavily wooded course which beats in my DX Roc's a little to fast. I've been kicking around the idea of running a Star Roc, Champ Roc3 and possibly a Buzzz or similar straight flying mid.

Question: Are there any straight flying mids with more of a fairway type driver feel, if that makes any sense?

Or should I just season three Star Roc's with hopes they'll stay in the bag longer than a few months?

Nope. There are so many different molds in all the various plastics, I don't need to waste my time with it anymore.

Even with all the great mids on the market today, I feel like you just can't beat Rocs. They're just too damn versatile.
:thmbup: This pretty much sums up my feelings on this topic.

I cycle Rocs. I currently bag three KC Rocs & an 08 "Thrower" Champion Rancho Roc.

I do, the current runs of DX I've been using have been feeling great. I have a KC Roc that is still overstable and I've been working in a flat top that is perfect, and has been holding up real well. I'll be excited once I get some turn out of it.

Question: Are there any straight flying mids with more of a fairway type driver feel, if that makes any sense?

You might look at a Star VCobra. Straight flying, with some fade while brand new, but that will diminish with seasoning. The thing about the VCobra is that (at least for me) it's very long for a what I expect from a mid; it's at least as long as I ever got out of my (Star) Leopards.

I quit after several crappy runs of dx. Moved on to the comet which flies like a nicely beat in roc in premium plastic.

Pretty much the only mid i throw.

Bad plastic and + rims have burned me. I moved to a Ghost cycle for a couple years and loved it. Ghost is truly the Roc standard bearer now, absolutely no reason to use Rocs unless you are single brand.

I don't cycle Rocs but I am trying to start a cycle Ghosts instead.

I am cycling Gazelles for fairways.

The Dynamic Discs Truth is also a straight mid that feels more like a FW driver. Very flat top, very fast.

I tried Ghosts but they were just too deep. Never felt like I got a good grip. But I have small hands.

cycler here! I used to throw the comet, roc3, and gator, now I have two cycled KC Pro rancho, and a usdgc champ rancho. still have the gator though.

I can't believe I didn't try out KC Pro rocs sooner (because they're such good driving discs).

the one bad thing about cycling KC Pro rocs is that KC pro plastic is fragile below 40ºF so cycling can be precarious during winter/fall. Also in the north east the leaf situation in parks (especially bad during fall, but can be just as bad throughout spring and summer too) means you could always lose a disc on a given round. Also they mostly come in white/cream that can get dirty and hard to find in leaves/snow/brush. Thats why I only throw blue or pink KC pro rocs.

i went though all the typical mids, roc3 (champ, glow champ, McPro), buzz, and comets (I kept the comets for field work though) and saw all those "in the bags" of climo, wiggins, barry shultz, brintster, ect who cycle KC Pro rocs.

I wanted to at least try cycling KC Pro rocs (maybe I'll get up to 4-5 cycled ones eventually) once I got pretty consistent (I'm almost two years in playing). Its kind of a sentimental/intimate way to build a bag, cycling KC Pro rocs like they're you're friends/pets that have a life cycle (OS to stable to flippy).

You might look at a Star VCobra. Straight flying, with some fade while brand new, but that will diminish with seasoning. The thing about the VCobra is that (at least for me) it's very long for a what I expect from a mid; it's at least as long as I ever got out of my (Star) Leopards.

I'll take a look, I was also considering a Foxbat, but I feel I could just power down my Leo for the same results. Plus not sure how the foxbat feels.

Latest posts