• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Early retirement

Matthew boals

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've been thinking about moving from the mid-west to the southwest,so I can buy some land,design my own course and play year round (with no snow). This would be a "active" retirement.Charge a few bucks per round,open a pro shop make a little money,atleast pay the mortgage. How do you see your "retirement"

I've thought about that, along with over all cost of living. Finding 40-50 acres for 50,000. Any ideas?

That sounds fantastic. Congrats on your early retirement and good luck.

As for me I'm already retired and loving life. 27 1/2 years of military service. The ex wanted me to keep working and that's one of the many reasons why she's an ex. My gf (20 years my junior ;) said you've paid your dues, so no more working for you. She's a peach. We play 2 or 3 rounds of golf every weekend, bike and lift during the week. We travel, last year Disney World and camping along the New River in Virginia. Next week, The Netherlands (golfing in Rotterdam), Belgium & Luxembourg. Next year the mountain west. We go to shows. Among the shows we've seen this year; The Dead, Galactic, RRE, Keller (in Louisville), Cornmeal, Buffalo Philharmonic and we already have tickets to see Grisman in Feb.

Happiest man on earth. Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

I've thought about that, along with over all cost of living. Finding 40-50 acres for 50,000. Any ideas?

Why not Eastern Oregon or Eastern Washington? The Spokane area is beautiful. A little further north than what you were thinking I suppose.

Let us know what happens though. Maybe it will be part of next year's trip.

Simpletwist, thank you for your service! Sounds like you have it all.....Maybe mix in more disc. Enjoy you trip across the pond.

man, you described my ideal retirement. unfortunately i'm 30 years away from that! nights and weekends until then.

If you're going the DG route in retirement I wouldn't pick AZ. If if were me (and you of course should whatever you want) I would find someplace a little more scenic? I dunno how else to descibe it. lots of trees and elevation and water. Which is about the opposite of AZ.

Have fun though and congrats with the retirement, sounds great! only 35 more years unitl that me! :D on wait... 35 years is a long time... :(

well since you said you ideally would like to move to the southwest i would suggest Arizona since there is no humidity and if there is it's not like what you would have in the southeast.

New Mexico maybe? I've heard good things about it and it's growing at a nice clip. Souther CO might not be a bad idea as well.
I also have a friend living in very rural Missouri and he loves it...

Skinner21, I was thinking of AZ,NM,NV. Just finding a "sweet spot" that has everything a course needs.I have a few more years before I can move.

I'll be happy if I can still walk once I retire, but disc golfing all the time sounds great!

AZ, NM, NV sounds too hot. Colorado I think would have a bunch of scenary possibilities.

My wife and I are looking for a place to settle down and fish off the back deck ...

Looked at the SW but it's too hot for her ... NW is too rainy for me ... CA is too expensive for either of us ... the upper tier (ID > ME) is too cold in the winter ... the south is too humid ... (we sound like a pair of whiners, don't we?) ... so we're thinking of the Ohio river valley, where land is still reasonably cheap enough and there are lots of good DG courses around.

Not quite ready to retire yet though, so the income scene has to be in place before we move. We're itchin to go though - maybe 6 months to a year?

:: crosses fingers, toes & eyes ::

personally, i'd skip the various desert locales (az, nm, eastern or, eastern wa). western oregon or washington on the other hand are some of the most beautiful places on earth.

cool. I second the NM thought. I spent some time there during my Boy Scout days in Philmont. Remarkable area. In the mountain areas it is beautiful!

Sounds like a superb plan Matthew. I hope to do the same when the time comes. AZ would be a great place to do such a thing... those who think AZ isn't scenic, no elevation, water and trees must not have ever gotten to visit Flagstaff, Sedona and the surrounding national forest land... not to mention The Grand Canyon!! There is plenty of scenic beauty in those parts... very well suited for great golf (year round).

The guy who owns Base Camp outside of Moab, UT is semi-retired but is living out a similar dream of his. He's got one of the best, most scenic courses I've ever played with tons of great elevation. Funny thing is he's not a golfer. He searched for 8 years in his jeep through the backcountry of the Southwest to find his slice of heaven... 50 acres right on the Colorado River with endless finger canyons and places to explore (his land backs up to 1000's of acres of public land)

I'll be happy if I can still walk once I retire, but disc golfing all the time sounds great!

AZ, NM, NV sounds too hot. Colorado I think would have a bunch of scenary possibilities.

thats because all those states are hot during the day except the heat is dry heat so it can still feel a tad bit comfortable.