• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Early retirement

Frizzle tossler, I checked the year round weather for flagstaff...." up to 2 feet of snow per storm".....THAT'S OUT! But, Around the foothills would work. I've played in Austin, but it's been awhile, I remember good weather year round. I don't think there's any more places to put a course in your area.

cool. I second the NM thought. I spent some time there during my Boy Scout days in Philmont. Remarkable area. In the mountain areas it is beautiful!

Supposedly there's disc golf at Philmont, I didn't know about it until after I had been there twice. It is some beautiful country out there, some of us brought ultimate discs and used them as plates and for object golf/ultimate on the trail.

/end threadjack

Retirement for me:
Stay where I am (central VA) & run a small B&B in my early-19th century plantation house. Feature a beautiful, pastoral, historic setting; femtobrewery on-site; 18-hole disc golf course; paddling & fishing on the pond; & hearty Old South vegan (or carnivorous) cuisine. Enlarge my garden and food preservation operations & sustain my family & guests with their bounty. Maybe keep a couple of llamas or alpacas just for fun. Sneak off to Marshall Street once a year for boisterous R&R to attempt to recapture my faded youth. Wait for my daughter to win her Nobel Prize (physics or economics, I'm thinking) & ride off into the sunset.

40 or 50 acres on the Canadian river in the Texas Panhandle could be ideal! T. Boone Pickens for a neighbor could lead to some very large post-round parties, which would be acceptable because you wouldn't have to get up early for work the next day.

Seriously though, a large parcel of land on the river would be fantastic. Winters can get pretty rough, with nasty storms bringing high winds and lots of blowing snow. Summers can also get rough due to the geographical location of "Tornado Alley", plus we get some serious heat as well. But the rest of the time, BUENO!

Being born and raised in CA I would have a hard time living anywhere else, but I do have a friend who is trying to convince me to move down to Belize 6 months out of the year, then I could be up here in Humboldt, or one of the surounding areas OR - Mendo during the other 6 months of the year. So while it's rainy around here, I'll be down in Central America enjoing the sun. And while it's raining and storming down there, I'll be back up here checking out more courses, so that I can make all the courses I make down there into world class courses. Aaaahhhh Endless Summer.:cool:

Sounds great, too bad I'm working on being a Portuguese fisherman my whole life.

Our plans.... hubby is to retire in about a year. We're working on selling our business now, then the house. We plan on moving to the Greenville, SC area ( where the cost of living & property tax is much less then here in Wi, and there's much less cold & snow). We don't have loads of money to retire on, so most of our time will be spent playing disc golf during the week (when everyone else is either working or in school:D), & hiking.

Speaking as a private course owner---

* No way, no how you can pay the mortgage from disc golf.

* The cheaper the land, the more remote. The more remote, the fewer players.

* A course is LOTS of work. Plan to do lots of maintenance work in your retirement.

BUT

If you modify your retirement dreams to pay for the land in other ways, perhaps run a mixed-use venture (Country B&B, other activities, etc.), and enjoy working the land, it's a GREAT retirement plan. Sure beats sitting in a den, watching TV for 30 years.