• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever hit a random wall and just Have no desire to play DG?

Some of the comments were great ---- some missing the point - haha ----- I HAVE A BIG TOURNAMENT THIS WEEK! AND I AM NOT PREPARED AT ALL - Should I scramble and get my ****ttt together? Or just wing it and hope to do well - its not a small tourney I really should be prepared - but----idk, im just in a funk

Practice putting at home. Stretch. Get adequate sleep and have your diet on point.
Play the courses mentally and plan your shots each hole. Stick to that plan during the tournament.
You know how to throw...the rest time is good for you.

Yeah, I lose interest or get burnt out often. I started in '04 and often will take several months or even a year off. I've played awful in the 4 tournaments I've had this year and have thought about shutting it down until February or so of next year for organized events. Focusing on making the game fun again right now.

took nearly a ten year hiatus. it was incredible that I threw so little over the course of those years. in fact, I bet their had to been a year I didn't even pic up a golf disc. perhaps a frisbee throw or two.

my focus was on other things in life. and yes I was burnt out. now, I can't imagine not playing cause I'm totally back into throwing a disc.

I might add that it isn't just disc that you are burn out on but other things too that can make the game seem sour.

There is no such thing as bad timing. You mention you have a wife and a daughter. I also have a wife and a daughter. There are more important things in your life than winning or even cashing in the Minnesota Majestic which isn't that big of deal in the grand scheme of things.

Here is a comparable snapshot of me. I have played almost 15 years. I used to play probably 300-400 rounds per year, I moved just north of the metro where I don't have anything within 20 minutes of me. I have 2 baskets and also had a cone. Sold the cone to Hansen which is now hole 10 and will soon be selling my baskets too. I used to putt for a while and throw upshot and whatnot. After a while I look at myself and wonder wtf am I doing. I don't play any tourneys anymore and rarely play leagues. I used to play 3-4 weekly leagues basically every week. I don't personally have as much fun as I used to anymore. I occasionally play a red round or 2 but usually if I'm going somewhere different like chains edge where it brings the fun into it. These forced rec rounds at crappy courses do nothing for me. My wife works nights and most nights during the week so we don't have to do daycare. I used to drive 25min to have my mom watch her so I could disc golf but now she's old enough and communicates well I'd rather just spend time with her and my dog.

What I have is grown my interests from disc golf. We go fishing pretty much daily, I run daily again, I have a huge garden and lots of fruit plants, a huge yard to maintain and I don't miss dg too much. Most of the people will still be in the same place if I choose to play more again

It happens to me quite a bit. I skipped several months last summer and only threw like two holes the day I came back. Then walked off cuz it just wasn't fun. But I didn't sell off my discs either. It'll come back. It always does.

And with your tournament? I wouldn't worry too much. Worst case scenario you don't throw because it isn't fun. And you lose a few bucks in entry fee. But you're going to throw. And it's going to be fun.

I've hit the wall every now and then from: too many injuries, too much work, too many other things to do and playing with people that are too serious or predictable or too many people. .period...

Time off helps but you need to remember what it is that you like. Play an early morning solo round with a fun set, say 165 Roadrunner, Atom and ... I can't remember, insert one of your mids here.... Comet? Something that is just fun and easy to throw. Dump your bag and some backups in a pillow case and pick 5. Or play with a random group or less experienced but enthusiastic friend, or a buddy that brings good tunes and a few beer.

I love it on quiet morning before work when the sun is low, even if I just play the bottom 5 loop (flat, easy, 160' ish) or play it backwards.

Eat well, drink lots of water, take lots of snacks and don't forget your towel or seat. Throw a hundred practice putts in the next couple days but don't wear yourself out, just prep enough for some confidence. Practice at a range where you hit 2 out of three or better.

Do what you do and don't worry about it, play the tournament for fun and socialization, play smart and cool and just take your pars. It sounds like there's no pressure for you it might be a casual round, that's when I play my best.

I would work on putting and touch approaches only. Don't worry about throwing, you'll probably be fine there.

Do exactly that. You won't forget the throwing motion in 1 month (just like biking, you never forget it).
Just do some putting to make sure your form is clean and some short game to not lose your touch.
Do some warm-up drives to remove the rust on the tournament day and you'll be perfectly fine.
And if the sun is shining strong, do not forget your umbrella (best advice I can give).

From a personal point of view, I'm exactly at your place, except that I don't have a 15-month daughter (FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST). Haven't played a lot since the year started, mainly because I'm a student and I'm not counting my working hours.
My next tournaments are Konopiste Open, the EuroProTour Finale and the European Championships and I have a tough time finding motivation to practice. Hopefully, the motivation comes back as soon as the exams are over... otherwise I can say goodbye to my hope of getting 4-digits on my rating by the end of the summer.

For me, setting low expectations helps before a tourney. It takes pressure off the mental game. Go out there and have fun, make the shots you want to make, don't waste time thinking about which shot is smarter and get yourself psyched out. If you miss a putt, shrug it off, you were expecting not to play great.

I've seen too many guys get out there and miss 2-3 putts in a row and then watch their game just completely fall apart and all of a sudden they're missing 10' putts and hitting every tree off the tee.

Sure, you want to cash, but, is this your source of income? If not, it's just extra. Nice to have, but don't sweat it and enjoy playing with some of the best players around.

So....this is really weird and horrible timing - but... blah blah blah

Pardon my direct communication, but don't you think you're being a little overdramatic?
I mean, its a game after all...

My lack of empathy is not intended to be cruel, but rather to serve as a reality check...

When I consider my top 5 (life) priorities, disc golf isn't even on that list. So, while I strive to be the best I can at everything I do (including disc golf), I have to accept my limitations in some areas of life.

It is far more important (to he greater good of the universe) that you are a good father, gainfully employed, healthy, and a decent human being.

If you can also meet your own high standards regarding throwing frisbees, well that's just icing on the cake of life.

Don't beat yourself up. And, don't be such a puss about something that is inconsequential in the greater scheme of life.

Don't beat yourself up. And, don't be such a puss about something that is inconsequential in the greater scheme of life.

I didn't take his post as having his priorities out of whack or being a puss. Just seemed to be sharing some DG thoughts on a DG board. Lighten up, Francis.

Sometimes I get mechanical on solo rounds and realize I just wanted to take a walk. Skip holes and wander. Safari a little if the mood strikes.

OP. You've lost the eye of the tiger.

You like losing?

Then you better start practicing harder, smarter, more often. You need to start working out. Start eating right. Start sleeping 8 hours a night.

Once you win again, the passion will come back.

You're welcome.

When my game is improving I never found it hard to play. However since I turned 50 six years ago my game is on the downhill no matter how much I practice. Adjusting to this mental state has been tough. I play about a third as much as I did when I was improving and now I just dream about the glory days. Enjoy your youth I say.

There is no such thing as bad timing. You mention you have a wife and a daughter. I also have a wife and a daughter. There are more important things in your life than winning or even cashing in the Minnesota Majestic which isn't that big of deal in the grand scheme of things.

Here is a comparable snapshot of me. I have played almost 15 years. I used to play probably 300-400 rounds per year, I moved just north of the metro where I don't have anything within 20 minutes of me. I have 2 baskets and also had a cone. Sold the cone to Hansen which is now hole 10 and will soon be selling my baskets too. I used to putt for a while and throw upshot and whatnot. After a while I look at myself and wonder wtf am I doing. I don't play any tourneys anymore and rarely play leagues. I used to play 3-4 weekly leagues basically every week. I don't personally have as much fun as I used to anymore. I occasionally play a red round or 2 but usually if I'm going somewhere different like chains edge where it brings the fun into it. These forced rec rounds at crappy courses do nothing for me. My wife works nights and most nights during the week so we don't have to do daycare. I used to drive 25min to have my mom watch her so I could disc golf but now she's old enough and communicates well I'd rather just spend time with her and my dog.

What I have is grown my interests from disc golf. We go fishing pretty much daily, I run daily again, I have a huge garden and lots of fruit plants, a huge yard to maintain and I don't miss dg too much. Most of the people will still be in the same place if I choose to play more again

Chains Edge is awesome! I really want to get back up there -

I hit a wall about 4 years ago. Haven't played since then.
My wife keeps asking to get rid of all of the discs I've collected but I can't bring myself to do it for some strange reason...

So far I have not lost the desire to go throw. The heat anticipated for this summer might change that. But DG is a way of getting outside and some exercise as well as the fun of throwing plastic and seeing if I can lower my scores and making that one awesome shot that will live forever in my memories. Still lovin' it. <3

Some of the comments were great ---- some missing the point - haha ----- I HAVE A BIG TOURNAMENT THIS WEEK! AND I AM NOT PREPARED AT ALL - Should I scramble and get my ****ttt together? Or just wing it and hope to do well - its not a small tourney I really should be prepared - but----idk, im just in a funk

Sounds like the times I had a big chess tournament and I hadn't really prepared and was in a patch of apathy for the game. I just went and played. The fire ignited as I played, and sometimes it was a good thing to have not 'prepared' but rely on long-known basics and trust my instincts...

I hit a wall last year about this time. I haven't played much in the last year except the small 9 holer with my kids and those are fun rounds. I started mountain biking again last year and I find that to be much more relaxing and it's a good workout.

I have sold some of my discs but no way I'm selling them all, yet.

Latest posts