• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever seen something so blatantly against the rules, yet you didn't call it?

Chef Fini

Par Member
So I was playing dubs at league last week, this was my first time playing in the local clubs dubs league. I tried saying hi to people and introducing myself but nobody really talked to me. People were even giving me the stink eye i guess because they didn't know me. Kind of got the feelin like if they didn't know you, you're not welcome... Anyway, a guy on my card on the other team pulls a bush out of his way, I thought he wanted to get a better look at the basket. To my amazement he throws his shot while holding the bush aside. I look at my partner and he just shakes his head. I didn't say anything because of the way people acted before the round. Also they just took a circle 6 on the previous hole. What would you do? Also has anyone else seen anything so blatantly against the rules that you didn't call?

The rules are in place for a reason. Don't be afraid to call them because you feel bad for the other guy. I'm betting he just didn't know the rule and had no idea he was doing something wrong.

Definitely would've said something like... Hey what are you thinking there.

That said, I know I get the "this isn't a PDGA event" comment in our weekly leagues... so lots of stuff slides by, but not this. Re-throws are the biggest blatant violation in league I'd say.

I did see this exact scenario in a PDGA event from two holes away and I had to mention it to someone I knew on that card.

Definitely would've said something like... Hey what are you thinking there.

That said, I know I get the "this isn't a PDGA event" comment in our weekly leagues... so lots of stuff slides by, but not this. Re-throws are the biggest blatant violation in league I'd say.

I did see this exact scenario in a PDGA event from two holes away and I had to mention it to someone I knew on that card.

And even in a pdga event... i've heard people say... Cmon man, it's only a C tier :|

It does bug me when people pay money, to compete and play in a tourney... Yet are casual when it comes to rules. :mad:

In leagues it doesn't bug me as much unless the person/people are constantly doing it to their advantage and are in first place or win. :mad:

Last edited:
In that situation, I too, would be put off by that. I suppose some would call the guy on that without hesitation, but given that:

1) I don't really know anyone there or how the league operates
2) I'd received a fairly cold shoulder coming in, and
3) It's not a sanctioned event

I honestly don't think I'd have said anything either. You get a feel for how strictly a given league adheres (or doesn't adhere) to the rule book after a few rounds, especially if you get the chance to play on cards with several different league members over a period of time. Then you'll know how that league suits you and might feel comfortable calling someone on that type of infraction.

If it's just a weekly dubs with no high stakes and they just got a circle 6 in doubles I just wouldn't say anything and go on. But if I do call it, it's usually in a kind manner and telling them that they're not allowed to do that. Do not use the word wrong. And I usually just say it'll be a warning and brush it off.

But in a PDGA event I would call it no matter what circumstance.

I probably would have said something. I'm also one who tends to think the rules should be followed in any organized event, even a dubs league. I don't know if I would have gone the route of calling him on it and demanding a penalty or a re-throw or anything, but I definitely would have brought up the fact that it was against the rules.

If the response was the typical "it's not a sanctioned event, man, lighten up", then I'd have shrugged and moved on rather than harp on it. And I'd probably not return to that particular event again (that you felt cold-shouldered immediately upon arrival probably would have bolstered that decision).

If it was blatant or repeated, I'd seriously entertain the idea of breaking a rule or two myself in those situations (especially if I've decided I'm not coming back). Maybe a foot fault here or a falling putt there. See what they're going to call or not call. I mean, if rules are taking a backseat because "it's not a sanctioned tournament, man", why not go all out with the rules bending?

In that situation, I too, would be put off by that. I suppose some would call the guy on that without hesitation, but given that:

1) I don't really know anyone there or how the league operates
2) I'd received a fairly cold shoulder coming in, and
3) It's not a sanctioned event

I honestly don't think I'd have said anything either. You get a feel for how strictly a given league adheres (or doesn't adhere) to the rule book after a few rounds, especially if you get the chance to play on cards with several different league members over a period of time. Then you'll know how that league suits you and might feel comfortable calling someone on that type of infraction.

this 100%. You don't call anything the first week or 2 at a new league. Gotta get the lay of the land. Every league is a bit different with the "strictness" of the rule book. Once you get in a bit more, a few things will happen. First, they will start talking to you. They may have thought you were a ringer! Second, you'll understand the "rules" they play by, and can enforce from there.

Most of my leagues don't enforce stance violations at all. I'll jokingly call a foot fault if its obvious, and it probably gets the guy thinking about it next time, but really the rules are quite lax in weekly league play.

And even in a pdga event... i've heard people say... Cmon man, it's only a C tier :|

It does bug me when people pay money, to compete and play in a tourney... Yet are casual when it comes to rules. :mad:

In leagues it doesn't bug me as much unless the person/people are constantly doing it to their advantage and are in first place or win. :mad:

Ah yes... the infamous C-Tier comment. That one makes me sick. I really don't care what level it is if it's sanctioned.

For weekly leagues I'm in, almost nothing is called... but I've not seen anything super blatant either.

One time recently in league, someone on my card snarkily said, "You faulted by touching your mini." as my par putt hit low on the cage. Another player agreed. Without hesitation, I re-threw and made the putt. Their response was, "But nobody called it on you, we were just mentioning it." No matter how much I protested, I would not be awarded par. It was funny... sort of. My thought was you did call it by saying something. I know in the past you could call it on yourself, but they took that out I heard.

Weeklies and leagues I generally consider practice and first steps to competitive play, and I very rarely give real warnings or penalties in such a casual setting. However, I always do mention that they are/were breaking a rule, and in a tournament people will call it, so they should learn not to do it again so it doesn't bite them in the ass in the future. I try to be very friendly while educating people on the rules, and most of them take it quite well. If they blatantly keep breaking a rule when I've already told them what the rule is and that they should be aware of the rule, then I'll call them on it.

And in a real tournament, I'll call it. They should know the rules by then. I don't really even have any choice but to call it, as if I don't call it, it will be me breaking the rules, and I don't want to do that. It can even be phrased like that sometimes. "Sorry, but I'll have to call you on that rule, as if I didn't, I'd be breaking the rules myself."

considering the way they were acting towards you i would have said something. theres alot of things that slide in leagues but that isnt one of them.
a little surprised tho for the area you are in, most of the dgers ive met down there are pretty cool and definitely more friendly than that. which league were you at?

I was thinking if just mentioning it but not giving them a stroke. Even though I was cold shouldered, I still had a really fun round and my partner was cool. I will go back when I can, hopefully next week. I'm thinking a few more times and people will start to know who I am. If not I will stop going. In a tourney, sanctioned or unsanctioned, I most definitely would have called that no question.

Ah yes... the infamous C-Tier comment. That one makes me sick. I really don't care what level it is if it's sanctioned.

For weekly leagues I'm in, almost nothing is called... but I've not seen anything super blatant either.

One time recently in league, someone on my card snarkily said, "You faulted by touching your mini." as my par putt hit low on the cage. Another player agreed. Without hesitation, I re-threw and made the putt. Their response was, "But nobody called it on you, we were just mentioning it." No matter how much I protested, I would not be awarded par. It was funny... sort of. My thought was you did call it by saying something. I know in the past you could call it on yourself, but they took that out I heard.

I call Jake EVERY time he foot faults :p

I don't call many foot faults outside tournament play; there are some players that are blatant about it often, though; I try to wait until they have a throw they want back and say something like "That's a foot fault. You have to re-throw. If it happens again this round, it's a stroke penalty." ... I should stop waiting for a bad throw though; they still think I'm being a dick.

One of the first times I played at a particular local course, I wound up going around with a guy who had pruning shears in his bag. A couple of times, he got into the rough and started clipping the bushes. I asked him what he was doing, and noted it was not cool (said something like, hey, public property...). He replied, well they need to clear this anyway. Funny thing was he only trimmed to improve his lie. I've never seen the guy since, and would avoid him if I did.

Drinking during the round. I was even offered a beer by the guilty party. Later on in that round there were people firing up something that wasn't tobacco, in close proximity to the Juniors card no less. I seriously could have had half of my division DQ'ed.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

One of the first times I played at a particular local course, I wound up going around with a guy who had pruning shears in his bag. A couple of times, he got into the rough and started clipping the bushes. I asked him what he was doing, and noted it was not cool (said something like, hey, public property...). He replied, well they need to clear this anyway. Funny thing was he only trimmed to improve his lie. I've never seen the guy since, and would avoid him if I did.
classic! I can just see a bag manufacturer finding a way to carry a set on the side of your bag... :p

considering the way they were acting towards you i would have said something. theres alot of things that slide in leagues but that isnt one of them.
a little surprised tho for the area you are in, most of the dgers ive met down there are pretty cool and definitely more friendly than that. which league were you at?

J-Town

Man at weekly leagues i have seen it all. people taking their lies to the left or right of thier discs. people taping out without marking the disc, people doing exactly what you described, hell i even saw a dude jump up in the air one time and throw his disc like a basketball over some scrub oaks at a course here at the beach. when it is all said and done i usually defer to the guys that play the league often if i am the outsider. at my clubs league we play it tight. when money is on the line the rules are in play...period.

Leagus vary greatly from area to area. Some leagues are run by clubs who are all inclusive and welcome anyone who wants to play. but then you will find leagues that are run for a few freinds to get together and chuck. It is what it is. To address your question i think you did the right thing. no need to cause waves your first time there. as you play more of their events i am sure you will get a better feel for what the group as a whole feels about the rules. Then you can decide it you want to continue to play in the league.

Most leagues I've played in had lots of tolerance for minor stance and marking issues but no tolerance for breaking or moving foliage. I happen to agree with that, it doesn't make any difference if someone taps the chains, or doesn't mark their 5' putt, but getting in the habit of breaking down the bushes on a course is something that casual players definitely pick up on and hurts everyone.

I'll call just about everything, just to remind people that there are rules. I don't usually expect a 2nd and I fully expect everything to be called on me. Got to keep 'em honest.