• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairfield Park, Round Lake

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
Looks like we'll be working on an upgrade to the Fairfield layout in stages over the next few years. The Feds installed a new bridge over Squaw Creek in the past few months for a new bike trail at the west end of the current course. That has opened up access to about 15 acres of mostly wooded land already owned by the Park Dept plus the ConEd power line easement (we might be allowed to shoot across). This will allow the course routing to be shifted into more wooded areas and likely expand to a 24-hole Championship layout.

A local Chicago mover & shaker wanted to connect me with the Parks Dept to see about the redesign. I met with them on Tuesday to talk over the project. Looks like a "go" to prepare a first draft design when I pass thru over the Christmas holidays. The proposed 3-year plan is to eventually have one concrete tee and two baskets on each hole, one for the white skill level (Intermediate) and one for the gold level (pro). I'm thinking it might be over 10,000 feet from the tips for 24 holes.

That's excellent, those woods back there have potential especially if you can bring the creek into play a little more.

Wow, I read something about this on discontinuum. Sounds great.

Yep, I heard you were coming through town to take a look at the property. Everyone is very excited about this. There is some good land back there. Brett has been trying to get the park district in there for years. Hopefully this all goes through! Let the park district know that there can be plenty of volunteer work done back there if they're worried about costs.

Does the chucker factor come in anywhere? If there is a white layout as well as a gold, vandalism is going to be guaranteed.

My thought was to create a "dry" 18 holes main layout and have an optional 6 hole loop in the creek area that could be bypassed during wet season. I've been thinking about keeping 14 then maybe make a par 4 from combining 14A & 15 then carving out a little longer 16 as a 3-hole loop for half of the 6 wetlands holes. I'd like to figure out a way to play under the bridge as another wetland hole maybe with the white pin on the same side of the creek as the tee and the gold pin on the other side (hanging basket suspended under bridge?).

I'll let people know when I'm in town for a few days before Christmas or after since I head to and fro from the Twin Cities to Toledo for family Christmas. BTW, also toured the area for the fifth course at Lemon Lake with Brian Cummings and April the Park Super. Lots of potential there as they've started clearing some area already. I think they're leaning toward a similar setup as Fairfield with one tee plus a white and gold basket on each hole.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a creek loop a lot, I think hole 14 is one of the most interesting on the course with multiple options off the tee and the tricky blind green. It would be cool to keep a tee where 14a is now too, that fallen tree frames that shot so nicely.

Very cool! I had been hearing Brett talk about possibly expanding into this land... This could really give Lake County a truly quality course...it needs one!

It was great meeting you the other day Chuck. I've been working with the Round Lake Area Park District for 7 to 8 years now. As bad as the course is now it used to be worse. Rutted dirt tees and garbage all over the place. There has been minimal garbage and vandalism the past couple of years. I put my chips all in at the last meeting. The new Executive Director seems more willing to make this a qaulity place. If things go as planned this is going to be a great course!

Yep, I heard you were coming through town to take a look at the property. Everyone is very excited about this. There is some good land back there. Brett has been trying to get the park district in there for years. Hopefully this all goes through! Let the park district know that there can be plenty of volunteer work done back there if they're worried about costs.

Yes, although most of the regular locals don't use this site, we would be happy to organize some work days out there as needed.

We have been making regular efforts to keep the course as clean as possible, especially around tournament time. Our core group of regulars would be very happy to help bring a championship level course to Fairfield Park!

Brett & Chuck, thanks for all of your help! :hfive:

Hopefully we can get a pavilion with decent bathrooms installed there too... maybe even expanded and paved parking. That parking lot can get pretty full on tournament days! The pavilion would be nice to keep my merch discs nice and dry :)

Very exciting that they are willing to go with improvements to this course!

I suggested a small pavillion that would handle four picnic tables and adding water which may have to be a well since it's unclear if city water comes by there.

No draft until after Christmas. No design work has been done other than some of the ideas posted above which may not make the first draft. We still need to mark where the park boundaries are located in the back area and find out if we'll be able to play across the ConEd easement.

Very excited to here.......Bring some of those innovative course ideas from Minnesota to the Chicago area!!!!!!............you have a volunteer here if you need any help Chuck and Co.

Redesign efforts get underway on Monday and Tuesday. I've got a few aspiring designers coming by to watch and help. We're going to video the process and see if we can eventually put together an educational video on some aspects of course design.

Doing much work on Tuesday is already looking iffy based on the weather forecast and I may leave mid-day or late Tuesday. I will likely be back for a day probably on Thursday the following week on my way home from Toledo after Christmas.

Darn, I'll be out of town then, I would have loved to get together with you and pick your brain.

I'll be back in spring for a few days to actually mark the final layout and get clearing underway.