• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairfield Park, Round Lake

DISContinuum is donating a few practice baskets to the Fairfield Park District. Here is a picture. Please consider joining the club. We've spent a few thousand dollars on upgrades at Bevier Park in Waukegan as well. Any support would be appreciated.
1014171_10151750674362390_1108228461_n.jpg

Forgot to add the link to this page about the baskets.
Here is a link to how the baskets were recovered. http://talkdiscgolf.com/basket-with-history/

Cool story. My dad went to Northwestern when Gillson was in the ground and has very fond memories of it. I notice in the linked post you said it's hard to imagine an 18 being there. Part of that is because the discs (they weren't golf discs to my knowledge) couldn't go very far back then so a lot of the holes were probably under 200 feet.

so any progress?

Park District has been making slow and steady progress. The new fairways are starting to look like a real course. I was there this past Saturday, Aug. 31st.

It also looks like all of the new tee pads have been marked with yellow and white stakes. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for them to pour the new tee pads before the end if the year.

Some updates.

12 Tee pads are completed. They are awesome. 12 foot flared tee pads. Approximately 6 feet in the back and 4 in the front. They roughed them up really nice and they have a California finish around the edges.

I talked to the park district today and they are framing 12 more this week. They plan to pour them at the beginning of next week. After completed the white course and all gold tees east of the power lines are done. Hopefully they start mowing and moving baskets at the end of the month.

I've had a lot of people ask what they can do to help with this project. Grab a shovel, clippers, rake and head out to the park. The dirt around the new tee pads needs some TLC.

Brett just posted the baskets are all in and both layouts are playable. Park Dept just finishing up installing signs.

Brett just posted the baskets are all in and both layouts are playable. Park Dept just finishing up installing signs.

EDIT: NO MORE DAYS! WOOO!!

A gigantic hi-5, hug and a hand shake to Brett and Chuck from NE Illinois disc golfers!:thmbup:

I got the chance to play it for the first time today....both Gold and then White with just a Roc. I am floored by how polished the course is as a brand new course! Lots of really great/memorable holes on both layouts. Amazing design Chuck with the way you created 2 overlapping courses that both perfectly/appropriately highlight (to the DG wasteland that the area has been) what real disc golf and shot shaping is all about! Finally there is a great course within 30-40 minutes of me rather than 60-80 minutes.

One question: Why is the long layout called Gold? I fancy myself as a prototypical Blue player (950-970 historically....although my consistency due to not playing much any more probably has me playing in the 920 range). I think the longs suited me just fine...and I am not a long-throwing player. Typically Gold courses are above my skill to have a chance to score well on. IMO, the long layout is a perfect Blue course.

Maybe we'll see once we can analyze the scorecards from the Soiree. When you have technical gold holes, the difference in length from blue isn't as much as in the open. But the accuracy with power of gold players is better. I think holes 3 and 5 are on the shortish side of gold but I think only a gold, aspiring gold or gold plus player will be getting the deuce there.

Some of the open holes are great distances for Gold and others are well suited for a good scoring spread for Blue. Today was calm, but in winds the open holes will be more challenging. You have the open holes going in every direction.....so that is a great test of wind skills when there is wind. I like!

I was thinking more of the wooded holes. Maybe I am somewhat influenced by growing up on Stan McDaniel wooded courses....which many think are too tight on the length:width ratio....but I thought (on playing one time through) that the par-4's in the woods were very generous in width (and gaps) given that the holes seemed to reward accurately shaped/placed 260-300' throws. They were a perfect and fun challenge for me as they are right at the midrange/driver threshold....I love them!! But even Blue players with bigger arms ought to be able to navigate them with relative ease with as much challenge/punishment as I believe is appropriate (to get a good scoring spread).

Please do not take this as criticism......it is the opposite: when I read Gold, I anticipate not having a really fun time due to having a challenge that is not attainable by me (and a lot of NAGS). If this was called Pink, I would still love it as it is a perfect challenge for me.