• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Fairly new player looking for a new disc

I am really glad I am getting a lot of the same disc recommendations to use. Looks like I'll be getting a Leopard and a Roc, and possibly an Aviar as well. Right now the Rhyno is working well, but I don't have many other things I've used before, so not sure. I'll have to test it out.

Any specific plastics I should get for the Leopard?

If the Rhyno is working, keep using it. You can experiment with other putters later. As to plastics for the Leopard, I have one DX plastic (found on the course) and a couple of Factory Seconds (i.e. blemished and sold at discount) Star Plastic Leopards. I like Star Plastic. You might like the softer GStar plastic, though. If you can get to a store and actually put your grubby paws on some discs to get the feel of various plastics, that would be great.

I would suggest adding two discs.

The first would be a slower, glidey midrange. The Comet and Roc are both great, but I would probably recommend the Roc since it'll give you some extra beef to complement the Panther without being a meathook like the Gator. As a newer player with slower armspeed and less snap, you'll appreciate the extra distance the Roc's glide will give you. I know I did as I learned a BH. It's also at its best in DX plastic so it won't be a big loss if you lose it (as all new players tend to do). As you hit trees it'll also start to lose some of its fade and start to be one of your favorite discs. Resist the urge to try it in a premium plastic.

The second would be a slower understable driver. The Pro Leopard, DX Cheetah, or Neutron Switch are all great options. The Patriot is another great mold, but it's a little too fast. Streets is right about MVP discs needing a lot of spin to fly right, but the Switch is understable and slow enough that it's a little more forgiving than a lot of their drivers. It does have a pretty extreme fade when it slows that pushes it to the bottom of the list in my opinion. I would give the nod to the Leopard here. In Pro plastic, it'll be durable enough to handle all the trees you'll inevitably hit, but it has a ton of glide which will help you get some extra distance while you "grow" into it.

With the distance that you've listed, I would use the Leopard sparingly. I have only included a driver as an option because it helps give you feedback on something a lot of midranges don't, nose angle. With a midrange, you can throw with nose up (the leading edge of the disc being higher than the trailing edge, exposing the underside to wind instead of letting the wing design do what it's supposed to do) and still get decent distance. When you throw a driver the same way, it'll make the disc act more overstable than it should, causing it to fade much earlier than it should.

I would suggest adding two discs.

The first would be a slower, glidey midrange. The Comet and Roc are both great, but I would probably recommend the Roc since it'll give you some extra beef to complement the Panther without being a meathook like the Gator. As a newer player with slower armspeed and less snap, you'll appreciate the extra distance the Roc's glide will give you. I know I did as I learned a BH. It's also at its best in DX plastic so it won't be a big loss if you lose it (as all new players tend to do). As you hit trees it'll also start to lose some of its fade and start to be one of your favorite discs. Resist the urge to try it in a premium plastic.

The second would be a slower understable driver. The Pro Leopard, DX Cheetah, or Neutron Switch are all great options. The Patriot is another great mold, but it's a little too fast. Streets is right about MVP discs needing a lot of spin to fly right, but the Switch is understable and slow enough that it's a little more forgiving than a lot of their drivers. It does have a pretty extreme fade when it slows that pushes it to the bottom of the list in my opinion. I would give the nod to the Leopard here. In Pro plastic, it'll be durable enough to handle all the trees you'll inevitably hit, but it has a ton of glide which will help you get some extra distance while you "grow" into it.

With the distance that you've listed, I would use the Leopard sparingly. I have only included a driver as an option because it helps give you feedback on something a lot of midranges don't, nose angle. With a midrange, you can throw with nose up (the leading edge of the disc being higher than the trailing edge, exposing the underside to wind instead of letting the wing design do what it's supposed to do) and still get decent distance. When you throw a driver the same way, it'll make the disc act more overstable than it should, causing it to fade much earlier than it should.

Well I just got back from discing, and my estimation was wrong. I was throwing a very consistent 250 feet. Does that change anything you guys have said?

Well I just got back from discing, and my estimation was wrong. I was throwing a very consistent 250 feet. Does that change anything you guys have said?

Again, with which disc? If the Beast or Valkyrie, most of the advice given still holds.

Also, do you feel you have good form, and you're getting good "snap" with your throws? Good form does not mean throwing super hard, by the way, it means coordinating your body parts in your throw to transfer the energy to the disc. I don't throw my Valkyrie as hard as I physically can... I don't have to. I concentrate on "flowing" through the steps and moving my body and arm so that the disc gets the forward energy and a lot of spin (think throwing a hammer by the end of the handle to get the best leverage).

Yeah. Beast and Valkyrie. I know, not very far, but my form is terrible, as I just found out. Should I wait on new discs until I fix my form?

If you get a new disc, I would get a slower speed 6 driver (Cheetah, Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard) and start working on good form with those and also start working on throwing your mids and putter.

No. A Leopard would probably give you more distance. I know that's a strange concept, but disc speed is more a reference to how fast it needs to be thrown to fly like its ratings claim than how fast it flies out of your hand.

Honestly, at that distance, your Panther should be as long, if not longer, off the tee for you.

Last edited:
If you get a new disc, I would get a slower speed 6 driver (Cheetah, Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard) and start working on good form with those and also start working on throwing your mids and putter.

I think I'll definitely have to get a Leopard, almost everyone has recommended that. Thanks

For reference, until you're pushing something like a Leopard past ~300' you're likely strong arming and doing lots of things fundamentally incorrectly. At this point no disc will likely give you extra distance...there isn't going to be a magic distance purchase. Your arm speed will be limiting how far anything goes.

People recommend putters/mids/mellow fairways because they are straight and will fly accurately while you are learning, but they are still good discs that you will like even when you throw harder.

Once you can throw the fairway drivers consistently over 300' on line drives, that's when looking at different plastic options can open some doors. Technique is the way there though. I'm just trying to save you from some "this disc/that disc may help!" thoughts...everyone has been recommending/giving good advice.

I wish I had gotten all this good advice and found this site sooner when I first started. I had played DG before in college mostly more of a social thing with one disc. It was not till a couple years ago I had a friend bring me along and I got hooked. I went and purchased a Innova starter pack with DX Leopard, Shark and Aviar. The first time I went with that I was striving for more distance and thought that going to buy those super sleek high speed drivers would get me that distance.... I couldn't be more wrong. It was not till I found DGCR that I realized the starter set was really all I needed. Those discs are all still in my bag and used often. Some of those high speed drivers I bought early on I just sit on in a drawer as I hope to be able to throw them well someday but do not have the arm speed to throw them. If your valk isn't going over 300' you should take the advice to disc down and work on technique.

Latest posts