• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Course in California REAL THREAD!

What is your favorite course in California?>

• Birds of Paradise

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Sky High DGC

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • DeLaveaga Park

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • Stafford Lake County Park

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Turtle Rock Park

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Perigrine Point

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Bijou Community Park

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Sylmar(Veterans Park)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Humboldt State University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other(Comment what it is)

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Out of the THREE that I've played... Chavez Ridge? I won't vote though. Unless you want me to.

I played Peregrine last month - really enjoyed it. Being an east coaster, it was quite different from anything I'd ever played before. A veritable Martian landscape. Not a complete course in my mind - too open for that, with a lot of good but not great holes - but the stretch that plays alongside the edge of the cliff (3-6, I believe) is some awesome, awesome golf. Holes 3-4 are a super fun 1-2 punch.

I'd be curious to hear where Peregrine sits for those who know the area better.

What about the other 2011 Worlds courses (Ryan Ranch, CSUMB/Oaks, Pinto Lake) ? And the southern CAL guys will be wondering about La Mirada, Morley Field, Oak Grove ???

I played Peregrine last month - really enjoyed it. Being an east coaster, it was quite different from anything I'd ever played before. A veritable Martian landscape. Not a complete course in my mind - too open for that, with a lot of good but not great holes - but the stretch that plays alongside the edge of the cliff (3-6, I believe) is some awesome, awesome golf. Holes 3-4 are a super fun 1-2 punch.

I'd be curious to hear where Peregrine sits for those who know the area better.

It blows everyone's minds why Peregrine is even in the top 20 for CA. Besides the epic views and two holes the course is boring compared to Lava Creek which is just up the hill.

It blows everyone's minds why Peregrine is even in the top 20 for CA. Besides the epic views and two holes the course is boring compared to Lava Creek which is just up the hill.

Yeah, I thought it was solid - gave it a 3.5 for the views, the uniqueness, and the wow factor on a few holes - but it didn't blow me away. My cousin lives in Chico - we'll have to hit Lava Creek next time we're out there.

Easy! The toughest, longest course in CA is also my new favorite: China Peak. Honorable mention goes out to Turtle Rock (especially early season when there's water in the creek), Golden Gate Park, Stafford, DeLa, and a few private courses that I can't elaborate on more... :)

Got go with the club/home courses Ryan Ranch and The Oaks at CSUMB. I just wish they would change the pin locations at CSUMB more often. DeLa is an obvious choice, but the course can be jammed up and slow, so the experience can be little crazy at times. Just have to catch it at the right time.
Pinto Lake is a wonderful little gem and I feel it gets overlooked. It has that true championship course feel. Truley blessed to have these big 4 courses in my backyard, and 1 more in the works.

I've played all the courses included in your poll except Birds, Sylmar and Skyhigh. Here's my ranking of those courses:

1. Dela/Stafford
2. Coyote
3. Turtle
4. Bijou
5. Peregrine
6. Humboldt

Other courses that should be included in any discussion of California's best: Golden Gate, Shady Oaks, Pinto, CSUMB Worlds layout, and Ryan Ranch.

Gotta vote Dela since its my home course, but its the only one on the list I've played :) Have played CSUMB, Ryan Ranch, Pinto and others. Dela is the best of those IMO. But they are all fun.

I hope one day to have the free time to check out a bunch of others.

How is Anderson Valley in Booneville not on this list?! Not a great course by any means, but there's a fantastic brewery ON THE GROUNDS. This should automatically vault this course into top contention.

;)

How is Anderson Valley in Booneville not on this list?! Not a great course by any means, but there's a fantastic brewery ON THE GROUNDS. This should automatically vault this course into top contention.

;)

I had a great time last time I camped out there (think it was like Hendy Woods). The course isn't exceptional but it's very long and there is a brewery on site which gives it 4 stars in my mind. The only thing that Anderson Valley DGC could do better is sell food at that brewery-- luckily we had some snacks so we bought a bunch of samplers and sat outside after a fun round of disc~

Off topic: Played Stafford Lake Yesterday and the second half of the course had the worst headwind I have ever played in-- awesome course but nightmare of a day :)

I have played 3 of those courses, all where very nice. I would think Golden Gate should be in that discussion along with Shady Oks for Norcal.

I'm surprised there aren't more Socal course on there. La Mirada DGC has 2 beautiful courses. Morely Field has to be one of the most played courses in the world, if not THE most. Oak Grove, the original permanent course, where disc golf started.

Some of the new courses are nice as well, Goat Hill and Verdugo Hills come to mind. They are both on beautiful ball golf courses.

Latest posts