• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Hole of All Time (G rated) Dont go there.

I'm aware that I'm not one of the cool kids, but I actually do prefer courses with obstacles.

This has to be one of the most naive quotes I have read on DGCR in a long while! Tbird, I hope you get the chance to play Flyboy soon. Even if you prefer extremely wooded courses, you will be challenged at Flyboy.

Haven't been to many of these (but of the ones I have, I concur that Mason Sports park #8 is awesome!). My favorite out of 121 courses is still Idlewild #11:
3084b186.jpg

49470fe6.jpg

44fe4775.jpg

HAHAHAHHAHA! Flyboy does have obstacles. Hole 3 requires a perfect drive to have a shot at a 3. and even if you lay up, you still have to carry the water. thats a pretty big obstacle. u got to play Stoney. that makes you cool in my book. and you did it after 3 other courses.

As bad as I threw at Stoney Hill, I'm really looking forward to returning and playing much better. I agree with you on your post of 18. I felt like a tourist the entire round, and it was the icing on the cake.

This has to be one of the most naive quotes I have read on DGCR in a long while! Tbird, I hope you get the chance to play Flyboy soon. Even if you prefer extremely wooded courses, you will be challenged at Flyboy.

Would it have been better if I'd said holes instead of courses? I know there's more to Flyboy than just grip and rip holes. I agree 3 is beautiful. I can't deny that. With my distance, I would hope to be at the water in 2 with a carry for 3. I wouldn't be planning to "flex through this grouping of trees and fade around that tree to land in a spot for a clean approach at the green." I would just be throwing to take another throw which is boring to me. Sorry to treat sacred ground like Cam and Cat.

While the hole I posted isn't the most difficult, it is beautiful. It's also tricky because you have to hit your line otherwise the trees will make sure you're in the creek.

I almost posted 18 at Idlewild instead. It's not only a beautiful hole, it makes you plan every shot. It also gives you a decent enough window to go balls out if you want but will punish you big time if you don't hit your lines perfectly.

5ec1b302.jpg

3c488841.jpg

94cad1a5.jpg

8e02f4a6.jpg

I'm aware that I'm not one of the cool kids, but I actually do prefer courses with obstacles.
Thats like saying Nevin is moderately wooded.
Flyboy is not a links style course, you've got the wrong idea of a course you've never seen.

Leaving aside Top-of-the-World shots and anything in my yard, I might have to go with the fountain hole at Hampton Park:

Hampton - Fountain Tee (3).jpg

Just a whole lot of stuff happening on that one hole, much of it fairly unique. Tee off through the massive Live Oak branches (above and below), miss the fountain, get over the wall and railing on the far side or you drop in the water, get through or over the Crape Myrtles on the far side, and park it.

In theory.

(Thanks, guys, for the kind words about Stoney Hill. Though #14 on the Diamond layout---under the archway, over the hill, down the other side, and to the peninsula, is my favorite there.)

Last edited:
Flyboy is not a links style course, you've got the wrong idea of a course you've never seen.

he meant that hole. he hasnt played it, so he doesnt know a lot of the course is in the woods. that hole is not that much fun for someone who doesnt have a lot fo distance. its basically two throws to the water then try not to lose a disc in the water.

Leaving aside Top-of-the-World shots and anything in my yard, I might have to go with the fountain hole at Hampton Park:

View attachment 40596

Just a whole lot of stuff happening on that one hole, much of it fairly unique. Tee off through the massive Live Oak branches (above and below), miss the fountain, get over the wall and railing on the far side or you drop in the water, get through or over the Crape Myrtles on the far side, and park it.

In theory.

David strikes again!!!! I totally forgot about Hampton Park. that hole is ridiculous. when I played it. I just had to lay up. I still went OB. its everywhere.

(Thanks, guys, for the kind words about Stoney Hill. Though #14 on the Diamond layout---under the archway, over the hill, down the other side, and to the peninsula, is my favorite there.)

That hole is great. but the Risk/Reward of 18 is prevalent. you throw 2 great shots you can three it. you make one mistake and you could be taking a big number.

That hole is great. but the Risk/Reward of 18 is prevalent. you throw 2 great shots you can three it. you make one mistake and you could be taking a big number.

Not to mention, how tired you are at that point.

In the Top of the World category, I might have to go with #1 on the old Gran Canyon course in Brooksville, FL. Not just for the dramatic throw off a huge, sheer cliff to the canyon bottom. But, once you reached the basket, the ridiculous position it was in. Perhaps a little sweeter with the knowledge that you were setting off on an epic disc golf adventure....

I played the Haywood Community College course this past spring. I was blown away by the scenery, the immaculatly kept grounds, and the "feel" of the course. Sorry, no pics from me, but I really enjoyed it.

I've seen a ton of videos, and I know the entire course isn't wide open like 3. I mistyped "courses" instead of "holes" and admitted that in a later post. I personally, much like my argument in the "Movement in the Top 10" thread that the actual golf is more important (to me) than amenities, judge my favorite hole based on the golf more than the beauty. I have played a lot of beautiful holes. I enjoyed them and took in the natural beauty surrounding me. It is just going to take more than beauty to get my vote.

Way to join the conversation without seeing alll of it first.

#1 Gold layout at Maple Hill. I don't have any pictures from the Gold tee, but the blue/white tee sign shows its location relative to the blue teepad picture I do have.

You have to carry 465' off the tee to clear the pond. Fade too far left and you land in the xmas tree farm with a poor chance of making the approach. Too far right and its a jungle. The basket is another 320' after you clear the pond, and it is tucked into the woods in a small cutout with OB on all sides.

Attachments

• sign1.jpg
    sign1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
  • blue1.jpg
    blue1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 53
I've seen a ton of videos, and I know the entire course isn't wide open like 3. I mistyped "courses" instead of "holes" and admitted that in a later post. I personally, much like my argument in the "Movement in the Top 10" thread that the actual golf is more important (to me) than amenities, judge my favorite hole based on the golf more than the beauty. I have played a lot of beautiful holes. I enjoyed them and took in the natural beauty surrounding me. It is just going to take more than beauty to get my vote.

lulz.

Top 3 courses I have played, and I have made this list before, If based solely on the golf. it is still

Stoney
Flyboy
Bracketts

but these could be rearranged in any order bc they are all 5's or close to 5. I like the ingenuity of Stoney better, and both of those courses have extremely gracious hosts. Flyboy is much prettier, and has the amenities of a private resort for DG. it also has 27 holes. Stoney has 2 layouts. and plenty of variety. you literally need every shot for each course. I prefer the seclusion of Stoney, to being in a upper class neighborhood, with cul de sacs etc.

But Hole 3 at Flyboy is the most beautiful hole I have ever played. no argument here.

Flyboy has stellar golf and great views. There are a dozen holes that could be signature holes on another course. However favorite holes and most scenic holes are 2 seperate things. Are we rating based on how it looks in a picture or what it is like to play? Hole 3 is not the most beautiful, but it is a great hole for strategy and risk.