• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Favorite Putters

:)

More than any other disc, I love putters.

I once said i didnt need a putter and would just use my skeeter. :wall:

Then i tried a million putters and learned to throw them decent. Putters are so fun. Only ones i dont really like are the dumpy OS ones.

So many good putter to putt and throw with its stupid. I even like the bowfly.

Upshot (#1) ftw!!

I started with a DX Aviar before I knew anything about disc golf. Once I got on the "this disc will make me better" bandwagon, I started trying all sorts of putters believing they'd be straighter or glide further (it wasnt me). I progressed through the following:

DX Aviar - Wizard - Yeti Aviar, JK Aviar, Warlock (loved this one but lost my ability to go hand pick them), Ion, KC Aviar, McPro Aviar, Pure, Warden, McPro, Judge. I've been putting with the Judge this year, and the end of last season and I really like them. This past weekend I played a tournament and players pack was my choice of one disc... Wont get in to how that whole weekend unfolded but I wont be paying to play that event in the future... anyways, I grabbed a Gravity Hunter and its not bagged. I pulled the Judges and will be putting with the Hunters to decide which I like better. They feel like a softer, and maybe shallower McPro profile which I really like.

Wow. There have been so many different putters it will be hard to list them all. I'll just hit the highlights.

---Aviar PandA for everything.
---PandA for neutral, Rhyno for OS
---Magnets for neutral, Rhyno for OS
---Rhyno for everything
---tons of candidates interviewed... APX, Magic and Warlock were bright spots for neutral, Ringer and Wizard were the best of the OS
---went all 150g, used a Polecat for everything
---still all 150g, Polecat for finesse, PandA for neutral, Rhyno for OS. Kept this setup for years.
---left the all 150g bag kept 150g Polecat, added 175g PandAs and Rhynos
---went nuts with GAS. bought lots of putters. bright spots were Scale and Stud.

currently:

---Av3 came out and interviewed for the driving putter role. I basically use it for everything... putting/approaching/driving up to 300 ish feet. Finesse still belongs to the 150g Polecat. A Champ Rhyno covers the most OS needs. PandA might be added back in for glidier needs, we'll see.

There are so many great putters out there. I love putters more than any other slot in the bag. Rhynos have been the most constant mold in the putter slot. PandAs are in second place. Both are phenomenal molds. Av3 is shaping up to be great as well!

Last edited:
Aviar PnA > Soft Magnet > Classic Aviar > Challenger > Banger GT > Magic > Wizard

Been putting Wizards for probably eight years now.

I've been through a bunch, but I can't remember the order (how do you guys who have gone through 25 putters remember that?). It was something like this:

Aviar PnA, Magic, Wizard, Anode, PA4, Ridge, Pig, Scale, Colt, Yeti Aviar, Dagger

There's probably a couple I've missed, and I've tried a bunch more for short periods of time as well. The 2 that I used the longest were the Yeti Aviar and the Dagger. If I needed to throw all Innova I could go back to Yetis no problem, but I do really like the Dagger.

oh yeah, I forgot about that!
I had a Gumbputt only phase. That thing can get surprising distance :)

If the release date for the putter was before 2012 then I likely had a phase where I used only that putter :) G.A.S. at its finest!

I use to run with the Vibram soft for a long time, but at the first birdie bash I had to use a Medium and my putting was soooooooo much better. Never looked back.

For putting:
Starter pack Aviar > Warlock > Nova (for a hot minute) > Yeti Pro > Judge (for about as long as all those others combined) > Wizard (around the same time as the Judge, maybe a bit longer and I have pretty much decided I will no longer be in the market for another putter)

For throwing:
Not sure the timeline, but Nova, Yeti, Harp, Rhyno, Judge, Zone, and Envy. Those last 4 are still in my bag for various uses, and again, I have pretty much decided I am not in the market for any other throwers.

discmania P2 in two different plastics for everything as my only putter mold.

star P2 for os upshots and P line for putting and upshots. i backhand and sidearm the P2.

my putter profession: aviar p&a - dart - nova - aviar p&a - P2

I've been through a bunch, but always come back to molds that have a similar profile. The best I've putted has been with Magnet/Hunter/Reef.

I have gone through a ridiculous putter phase (in my opinion) and it is super frustrating!
starter pack aviar
Proton soft ion
classic blend judges
vibram sole
zero soft dagger
zero medium dagger
dx aviar
wizard
warlock
back to medium dagger
back to proton soft ion
electron ion
back to judges
pure's
classic blend warden's
classic judge
classic warden's (thought this was the ticket)
electron atom
electron anode
zero medium dagger
now electron firm ion's
I always come back to ion's or wardens, many more I'd like to try but my wife already wants to kill me for having at least 2 putters of each mentioned. I'm my own worst enemy having most of these still in my possession. I've tried selling a few of them but most people around Fort Dodge Iowa use daggers so the others no one want's. Currently sitting in a box in a closet out of the wife's sight , never know when I may decide to switch again.:doh:

Here's what I'd still consider using:
-McPro Aviar (It's currently in the bag but I'm not sure I want to buy more when these get too beat up, simply due to cost. I like the stiff feel and the beadlessness, and it glides well with some wind resistance.)
-Wizard (Probably in Soft or RFF. Sometimes I think the bead helps me so I'll rotate back to these.)
-Challenger (D, these days, but I would prefer non-soft X if it were still available. Fairly small bead, so very comfortable in the hand. Plus, this is a mold I could easily throw or putt with even better than Wizards. Maybe that's just me.)

Honorable mention to my Polecat, simply because I'll tap in with it frequently after approaches that land within 5 feet of the basket.

Putt'r --> Ringer --> Mercy --> Challenger

First putter I ever held (and bought) was a Z Putt'r, back in 2002-2003, when I only had 3 other discs. Quit for a looong time, then came back 10 or so years later with a passion. Putted for a year with that kooky Z Putt'r, but tried any putter I could get my hands on. Then decided to go from the tallest floatiest lid putters to the thinnest putter on the market, for kicks.

I am not a putter snob....I have used a LOT of putters.

Those I liked

Understable
Pa4 , Magic , Pilot
Stable/Overstable
Pa3 , Challenger, Focus, Wizard, Dagger, Aviar!

If I had to choose favorites right now: Pa4,Pa3,Aviar,Dagger

I haven't used one but checked it out, the REKO was nice.

honestly there are SO many good putters, so many.

Aviar PnA (for a couple weeks)-> Soft Warden (for about a month)-> Scale (for a couple months)-> Polecat since then

The Polecat is the only putter that I have felt remotely comfortable with for putting

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Man if we are talking driving and approach putters too mine journey as been a lot crazier.

Aviar PnA-> Polecat/Scale -> Serpent/Scale -> Polecat/ Serpent/ Zone -> Polecat/Zone-> Polecat/Scale/Zone-> Polecat/Bighorn/Scale/Zone -> Polecat/Scale/Zone-> Polecat/Omega BB/Zone (although I consider the Zone more of a slow mid).

Woodchuck, Nova, VP Soft, Soft APX, Ruru, Shield, Birdie, Pig, Devilhawk and Envy all were in the bag for at least a little bit at various points as well.

Here's what I'd still consider using:...
-Challenger (D, these days, but I would prefer non-soft X if it were still available. Fairly small bead, so very comfortable in the hand. Plus, this is a mold I could easily throw or putt with even better than Wizards. Maybe that's just me.)

Have you tried the Jawbreaker Challengers yet? Plastic is just firm enough for me (I prefer the firm plastics), so you might like it for your Challenger.

(sorry for the interruption; now back to the thread...)

I change my putter lineup from condition to condition or course to course. The one Putter that has never came out of my bag, regardless where I am playing or what the conditions are, is the Envy.
The soft Atom is my inside the circle putter and I have a medium Atom that I use for upshots.
I will have either the Spin or the Polecat in my bag for the straight floater shots attacking the basket.
If there is some serious wind out, I will put in the premium JOKERi in bag for upshots.
In the snow, I put in a medium Voodoo. It seems to stay on top of the snow better than any other disc I own.

Breakdown
Always in the bag: Envy and Atom
Cycled in and out: Spin, Polecat, JOKERi, Roach and Voodoo