• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite winter courses for MN/WI players?

For those living in Minnesota/Wisconsin, which course(s) do you consider to be your "winter home?" So far, I've just been playing Acorn in Roseville, MN. I'd like to check out other 18-hole courses, but I don't want to waste my time if they're closed or hopeless to play when there's snow.

Kaposia is in its short layout and the tees are kept clean. Usually North Valley is in good shape because the slacker league guys clear the tees on Wednesdays. Just remember you park in South Valley on the other side of 70th and walk thru the tunnel to start on 16 in the winter because they don't plow the North Valley side.

BRP in Ham lake. Best winter course. It will cost you $5. but the tee pads are always clean.

My vote would also be for Dretzka in Milwaukee. It is a fun course!
I just played Valley View in New Berlin, WI and hole #1 was tough. It also doubles as sledding hill and is VERY slick walking down to the basket. I even saw someone sliding down it on a disc instead of attempting to safely get down. :)

Hmmmm, I really did enjoy Oakwood in Cottage Grove and C.P. Adams in Hastings. I just played them for the first time today and was glad both courses had clean tees because the rest of my day ( MN State Tech College and Memorial Park in Red Wing) was not that great. I finished the day at Jaycee park in Wabasha with unshoveled tees in 12 inches of snow when noone had played since the snow.

I also would have to vote Kaposia, I havent been to Blue Ribbon Pines in the winter but I would assume it would be just as good as in summer, especially with frozen lakes ( now way to lose your favorite flippy wraith like I did in the summer). I also played Acorn and North Valley in summer and liked it, so they would be ok in winter too. North Valley however would have some slippery and slick spots with minimal traction I could imagine.

I also did enjoy Garlough park (no shovelling had been done) in West Saint Paul yesterday and Brockway in Rosemount (dirt tees were shoveled). I played Highland in St Paul and Minnehaha in Minneapolis, but the courses werent as good as the others so I would choose some of the others instead of those.

The funny thing is . . . I have found that living in Milwaukee apparently more courses get pulled in winter in our area than in the tundra in the twin cities. Most of the courses are open, although the 3 (three rivers or whatever it is called) courses (Elm Creek, Bryant Lake, and Hyland) all get pulled. Hyland is obvious being a ski hill but the others could stay open with little to no damage. Not sure why Milwaukee/Wisconsin in general tend to pull courses. It isnt like much damage can happen in winter, some good pruning of weak and damaged trees can be a good thing when the discs hit them.