• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FD/Fairway Disc/Dark Rebel/Hawkeye

That said, if this whole thread is about how "this isn't the same as the OG FD"

I didn't get that impression from this thread. At this point it's mostly speculation until people can get their hands on them and see how they fly, which is right about now. I'm assuming other molds will fly the same as previous DM molds because….they're made by the same folks, and are probably gonna be the same discs.

I doubt they would tweak the mold in any way unless there is a legal issue.

I'm assuming these are OG FDs and they resubmitted to PDGA to approve it under a different name and manufacturer. Any variation in measurements is most likely just molding variability in the disc sent in.

I haven't held one in person but…Occam's razor

I was looking at the pics on a previous page. It looks like a slightly different disc. Mold might be exactly the same and the plastic shrunk more or simply a bad eye test looking at the two. Not sure.

But the tooling is also different on the bottom so it is in fact a different bottom we should presume, unless they retooled the existing bottom flight plate to add "Made in usa".

Knowing Innova I would simply say it is a different mold, very close and 99% of people might not notice a difference anyways. I mean a slightly different mold isn't going to make much difference.

Last edited:
Got a slightly swirly max weight blue star at the shop today for....$24.99 plus tax. 🙄

It's an FD, if they changed the mold they nailed it. The nose looks pretty much identical to me. Threw it a couple times with 2 pretty fresh S-FDs and, it's an S-FD. I'd put the numbers at 7/6/-.50/1.50 which is pretty typical off the shelf.

Nice star plastic, nice flight, mild dome....thanks Innova! I'll wait for a stock run if I need more. I'm fairly well stocked on FDs.

I'll post some comparison pics later.

Got a slightly swirly max weight blue star at the shop today for....$24.99 plus tax. 🙄

It's an FD, if they changed the mold they nailed it. The nose looks pretty much identical to me. Threw it a couple times with 2 pretty fresh S-FDs and, it's an S-FD. I'd put the numbers at 7/6/-.50/1.50 which is pretty typical off the shelf.

Nice star plastic, nice flight, mild dome....thanks Innova! I'll wait for a stock run if I need more. I'm fairly well stocked on FDs.

I'll post some comparison pics later.

Darn. I was hoping -1/1 off the shelf. We'll see how mine does, but my only experience is with a well used C-Line FD. Never thrown any other FD.

Darn. I was hoping -1/1 off the shelf. We'll see how mine does, but my only experience is with a well used C-Line FD. Never thrown any other FD.

Although I kinda get where you're coming from, I don't think there's any premium plastic Innova drivers that start at their flight numbers. That's just not how Innova rolls.

I personally appreciate how long their premium plastic drivers do hold their flight numbers once they are broken in though.

I got my stack of swirly blue max weight and they are identical to my S-line from a few years ago. Glad I jumped in and grabbed a few now I am set for FDs.

Rebel is blue, embossed S-FD is white. Flashing/bottom mold piece is slightly misaligned might be why the rebel nose looks slightly sharper depending on the angle. It's barely noticeable. I compared several at the shop and they had identical dome and plh, all max weight.

It's an FD, no doubt. Curious how the C-lines molded up.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_233114322.jpg
    PXL_20211209_233114322.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20211209_233254627.jpg
    PXL_20211209_233254627.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 70
I

But the tooling is also different on the bottom so it is in fact a different bottom we should presume, unless they retooled the existing bottom flight plate to add "Made in usa".

Knowing Innova I would simply say it is a different mold, very close and 99% of people might not notice a difference anyways. I mean a slightly different mold isn't going to make much difference.

Fwiw, it's usually pretty simple (compared to other revisions anyways) to modify the tooling to make different text on plastic parts. It's also absurdly cheaper than remaking an entire half of a mold.

Fwiw, it's usually pretty simple (compared to other revisions anyways) to modify the tooling to make different text on plastic parts. It's also absurdly cheaper than remaking an entire half of a mold.

Innova molds are 3 different pieces with the 'core' mold piece being the one with the tooling. They are able to use the same core with the different lower rims (ex. Teebird and TL share the same core but different rim). I just got some new F2 DX Teebirds that just have 'Made in USA' in the bottom (no Innova specific tooling) which may also be used for this new Fairway Disc?

Innova also introduced 1 or more new 9 speed cores as well in the last year. One I've seen in use for the Valkyrie/Sidewinder/Roadrunner which has 'Made in USA' only (also no Innova specific tooling). Potentially the same core but the newest OLF/Savant also have 'Made in USA' with Innova tooling opposite.

Could be they are replacing some shared cores from the older 7 speed and 9 speed discs if the old ones wore out. Some of these new ones have 'zipper' bottoms pointing to a newly manufactured piece.

And they're all gone again. Think I'm gonna wait to try any of these rebrands, until I can get the DM remakes too. I've got a pair of late C-FDs and I've kept pair of PDs too. Really waiting for the PD remake, since I haven't seen anything yet besides the Invictus that could be the PD.

Could be they are replacing some shared cores from the older 7 speed and 9 speed discs if the old ones wore out. Some of these new ones have 'zipper' bottoms pointing to a newly manufactured piece.
I looked for "zipper" evidence and found none.

And they're all gone again. Think I'm gonna wait to try any of these rebrands, until I can get the DM remakes too. I've got a pair of late C-FDs and I've kept pair of PDs too. Really waiting for the PD remake, since I haven't seen anything yet besides the Invictus that could be the PD.
I compared a PD to an Invictus at the shop one day. Though they share the same flight numbers, they are nowhere close to the same disc. Completely different profile.

I compared a PD to an Invictus at the shop one day. Though they share the same flight numbers, they are nowhere close to the same disc. Completely different profile.

Nice, thank you. I have wondered if PD and Invictus were the same, but couldn't find any info that compared them. I've never thrown either of them, so it's merely curiosity..

I looked for "zipper" evidence and found none.

Well, I compared a little more closely to a fresh embossed S-FD. It's not the same type zipper track that's obvious on an SOLF and definitely not visible on top, but it looks like faint zipper tracks on bottom.

I'm not a disc forensic scientist, so who knows.

C-Line FD blue, Star Dark Rebel yellow. The DR flies 0 turn 1 fade out of the box at 300' (120 paces) which is all the space I have near the yard. I did remove significant and lopsided flashing. A portion of the bottom was smooth, increasing to large flashing on the other side. It should beat onto a great compliment!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 685BF280-84DC-4180-90DE-071CE6A5ED10.jpg
    685BF280-84DC-4180-90DE-071CE6A5ED10.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 284
  • 2AB4AC6C-BEBA-43B9-8D4C-B465A1F38A89.jpg
    2AB4AC6C-BEBA-43B9-8D4C-B465A1F38A89.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 289

My star dark rebel flew -1/1 straight away.

For reference I bought a 171 swirly neon green from the shop today and threw on 10ish holes with various lines.

Def has "made in USA" tooling which is different then any tooling on the numerous fds I have. Mild dome, not flat but not super domey. Feels great in the hand.

This is most certainly an fd and for me it flew like a mildly seasoned sline out the box. Ngl I really loved it on the first throw. I suppose the champions will be more stable out the box. Other colors may have a different stability which is not unheard of.

I don't throw any Discmania personally. I've tossed some in the past. FD's, TD somethings, CD 2's and 3's and I bagged a Sky God 2 for a bit. This is a no brainer move for Innova to "copy" the FD and release it as their own mold. I love the not so subtle name they gave it too. I'll be curious to see if this is a one off jab at DM, naming wise. I'd bet that when they come out with the "power disc" that it's just named after an animal or something though.

So today I got 1 star and 1 champ dark rebel in the mail. I compared them the the other 4 FDs I have. 2 S-line FD Jackals, 1 night strike FD, and one later run C-line FD. All PLHs are the same, while both dark rebels line up as slightly flatter when upside down. Can't tell a difference in hand between any of the 6. As far as flight goes, 5 of them scale in at 176, and one S Jackal is 171. I would say the new dark rebels fly with just a tick less turn than the other 4 I have for comparison. A little more stable than I expected. None of my older FDs are brand new however, so that could be why. It was also kinda swirly wind in the field I was in so it may not be too representative. For reference I can only throw about 350. These new guys actually held up to a slight headwind pretty well, and still pulled out of slight anny throws into the wind. Also they are ever so slightly less stiff than the other 4 I have. Both the star and champ rebels feel identical in flexibility. I'm gonna hit some trees and see how they beat in. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on how these fly.

Threw the dark rebel in a round today. Very solid performance. Winds were high and fresh, on hyzer, dead straight in a headwind. Turnovers were panning out a little faster than I hoped. I also threw terrible.

Dark Rebel

Threw the dark rebel in a round today.

Nice. I would throw mine in a round tomorrow but they won't show up until next week.

I ordered something last Sunday from Littleton (appx. 30 miles away) and it still hasn't arrived yet so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that something I ordered from California on Wednesday hasn't showed up yet.

Latest posts