• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FD/Fairway Disc/Dark Rebel/Hawkeye

No idea.

Whatever they did or didn't do to the mold, if you like the FD then you'd be hard pressed to tell this from the original other than the markings.

Two field sessions, one tournament round, and three casual rounds later and I'm stoked to have the FD back in my bag.
10-4
They look identical to every other FD I have. Adding different tooling on the bottom doesn't mean anything. It's the same disc.
Roger that

These dudes throw farther than I do but this is a great comparison of the Innova and DM versions of the FD. Look to fly very similarly so apparently DM has been successful in recreating the mold.

https://youtu.be/7Yk4I7aoft0

And after bagging a DR for a while, I'll revise my ratings to -1/1. Pretty neutral for me and a nice compliment to my more OS C-FDs.

These dudes throw farther than I do but this is a great comparison of the Innova and DM versions of the FD. Look to fly very similarly so apparently DM has been successful in recreating the mold.

https://youtu.be/7Yk4I7aoft0

And after bagging a DR for a while, I'll revise my ratings to -1/1. Pretty neutral for me and a nice compliment to my more OS C-FDs.

came here to post this! interesting they didn't compare to any original innova made FDs...

Probably couldn't afford an original FD to compare them to. 🙄

noah has been a discmania thrower for a long time so he has a lot of old plastic, but maybe he was just not a big FD fan back in the day! I have a few C-line I can compare my dark rebels to, but not until the snow is gone :'(

Almost pulled the trigger on on of these original FDs tonight, until shipping at 8.95 popped up and with tax it became a $30 disc.

I always liked the River better than the FD, but was curious. Maybe when it is available elsewhere.

Gotta say, DM may have screwed themselves or gotten screwed in how this is playing out.

"Italian plastic blend" may be the greatest marketing line in DG history, right up there with "gyro."

Last edited:
For more stability?

Nah. Mostly because they look sweet. Also, I tend to like star plastic when its a little soft and grippy and my other halo discs all feel great to me.

If they happen to be a tick more stable that wouldn't be horrible either.

Nah. Mostly because they look sweet. Also, I tend to like star plastic when its a little soft and grippy and my other halo discs all feel great to me.

If they happen to be a tick more stable that wouldn't be horrible either.

I don't have a single halo disc due to the massive dome I've seen on all of them. Have they produced a flattish halo disc on any mold?

I don't have a single halo disc due to the massive dome I've seen on all of them. Have they produced a flattish halo disc on any mold?

Not sure. I think the only halos I own are all Wraiths. I have a couple of them that aren't overly domey but most of them are.

Is there an Innova mold that is typically flat that comes in halo? I'd be curious if the halo versions were more domey than other runs.

flattish halo

My halo Tern is pretty flat. Nothing about it feel out of the ordinary. All the halo leopards I have felt at the store have been pretty decent as well.
Personally I would love some halo mids and putters. They just look too cool. I doubt innova will ever make halo for millennium and infinite, but they have some great molds that I bet would sell well in halo as well.

My halo Tern is pretty flat. Nothing about it feel out of the ordinary. All the halo leopards I have felt at the store have been pretty decent as well.
Personally I would love some halo mids and putters. They just look too cool. I doubt innova will ever make halo for millennium and infinite, but they have some great molds that I bet would sell well in halo as well.

Agreed. They are getting a nice premium from them and more profit. It could also be a little more cost to make them. I don't know if the mixing of colors would take more time or not, maybe just a different setup.

The Mason Ford Halo Sidewinders are flat and not as overstable as domey Halo Sidewinders. They're still more overstable than regular Sidewinders. To me out of the box they're dead straight with a hint of finish.

Just to add to the dialogue…
A lot of late Innova-produced Discmania discs had the MADE IN U.S.A. tooling, so that didn't surprise me.
As far as other tooling marks go, they are removed and added all the time, so the absence of other tooling didn't surprise me.

As far as the flight goes…yep it's an FD (even if Innova calls it a Fairway Disc).

As far as the ethics, it's not something you'd do to a friend, but I hear they didn't part on friendly terms.
Here's my take:
Innova has the legal right, but the way it was done…man what a sleazy, vindictive, slimy thing to do.

…man what a sleazy, vindictive, slimy thing to do.

I suppose that's one way to view it. Another way might be that discmania had zero to do with the actual physical design and manufacture of any of their innova molds. The success of those discs is from the discs themselves being brilliant. Discmania said "hey please make me some discs" and innova knocked most of them out of the park. Now that they have split ways, it's discmania who is copying someone else's work, and getting yet another company to design it. These molds that they didn't actually design and can blame most of their early success on. They're essentially a marketing company who contracts out work, and now they are blatantly copying others molds. Just another view.

Not sure. I think the only halos I own are all Wraiths. I have a couple of them that aren't overly domey but most of them are.

Is there an Innova mold that is typically flat that comes in halo? I'd be curious if the halo versions were more domey than other runs.

I *think* it's just a consequence of trying to push out so many discs. If they don't cool sufficiently in the mold, they dome up as they cool. At least that's what I've read.