• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feb '14 in Dallas Area

Because Texas courses suffer from too much homer-ism and the ratings are inflated when compared to equal courses else where. Texas rough is often too punishing forcing a pitch out, where in the mid atlantic you can often attempt a save. Then there's the Texas mud, lack of elevation and beauty.

Couldn't a lot of these things be said about other states courses as well?

Because Texas courses suffer from too much homer-ism and the ratings are inflated when compared to equal courses else where. Texas rough is often too punishing forcing a pitch out, where in the mid atlantic you can often attempt a save. Then there's the Texas mud, lack of elevation and beauty.

hey guys it all makes sense now...he just doesn't like how hard it is here...

Texas rough IS rough at a few courses I play (creeks, briars and such). I like it, keeps me honest to myself about how I'm throwing. But there are plenty of Texas courses in more of a park setting if that is preferred.

Ya I didn't realize courses sucked because they challenge your game.
I didn't say they sucked, I said they are overrated. Half the challenge at Lester Lorch involves luck and dealing with mud. On the tunnel holes half the time you park it with a putter and the other half your putter either kicks in or out the rough, and sometimes you're lucky if you can even pitch it back to the fairway or even get to your disc.

I didn't say they sucked, I said they are overrated. Half the challenge at Lester Lorch involves luck and dealing with mud. On the tunnel holes half the time you park it with a putter and the other half your putter either kicks in or out the rough, and sometimes you're lucky if you can even pitch it back to the fairway or even get to your disc.

In my years of playing Lester Lorch I can only remember bad mud a few times. The reason for the luck factor on the trees is that as a nature preserve, the designer Brian L. can not cut down many trees. I would bring a FLX Buzzz with me for those holes, it doesn't kick as bad when you hit.
drifing a bit more...
My thought on an an area being overrated, for the most part you are trying to decide what to play in an area, not what area to go to. So if you are going to DFW, it will tell you the better courses in that area. You can't compare DFW courses to North Carolina woods by a 1-10 system.