• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finder's fee

paranoid70

Bogey Member
Last week my buddy lost a disc in the lake at the park. It was a new disc, but a garden variety DX Cobra. A few days later he gets a text from the guy who found it in the lake (not sure if he was a disc golfer or not) indicating that he found the disc and wanted for $5 for his effort. My buddy writes back 'Dude that disc only cost me $8. Asking for $5 is kind of a dick move. Enjoy the disc.'

What says the disc golf community? 'Dick move' or 'standard practice'?

BTW, I never write my number on the disc. If I lose it, it's gone, move on and get another one.

Dick move in my opinion but we do live in a capitalist society.

Sucks for your friend! Usually if someone fishes for plastic its $2 maybe $3 for the premium stuff. This person sounds like they need to get a swift kick in the rump. I bet this person serches for lost discs on purpose and sells them to places like play it again and chances are high this person is not a golfer.

not that it is a good thing but at least it was a dx cobra and not a $30 cfr disc.

Last week my buddy lost a disc in the lake at the park. It was a new disc, but a garden variety DX Cobra. A few days later he gets a text from the guy who found it in the lake (not sure if he was a disc golfer or not) indicating that he found the disc and wanted for $5 for his effort. My buddy writes back 'Dude that disc only cost me $8. Asking for $5 is kind of a dick move. Enjoy the disc.'

What says the disc golf community? 'Dick move' or 'standard practice'?

BTW, I never write my number on the disc. If I lose it, it's gone, move on and get another one.

Having mailed plastic back at my own expense for my own lazy simplicity, this comes off as lame. Buy the guy a beer but never offer cash. Simple as that.

Having mailed plastic back at my own expense for my own lazy simplicity, this comes off as lame. Buy the guy a beer but never offer cash. Simple as that.

Dick move. Don't pay people ransom for doing the right thing. I would give a guy a beer or similar recreational substance for his efforts, but that is a tip, not ransom. Kudo's to the OP for handling it the right way.

I say, "dick move".

I put my e and number on my discs because I'd like them back. I swamp discs because they are out there. When I get a disc with a name and number, I'll call it. If someone makes the effort to get back that disc, I'll give it to them. If they give me any money, I'll be grateful, but I never ask for it.

If I've been holding a disc for a month or more with no further interest by the owner, it will become vulnerable to trading or selling away for a few bucks. I don't often make a mistake and unload a disc that someone comes back for much later. When I do, I try to have a new, good quality disc on hand as an apology.

If I want a disc back really bad, I'll run after it when the call comes. I'll pay the cat who swamps my disc. If I can't, or won't make it in a timely manner, I'll give them the disc. There's so much unlinked plastic out there I don't feel bad about getting it. Besides, about half those discs were mine in the first place.

I knew someone whose dog ran away once. They hung up flyers everywhere, and they finally got a call from someone who thought they'd seen the dog. Went something like this:

"Hey, I'm calling about the lost dog flyer at Albertsons. I'm pretty sure my neighbor has that dog. Here's the thing though. They want to keep the dog, and I don't want to betray my neighbor."

Still not sure what the logic was there. Maybe it's nice to know that your dog isn't dead, but what good did it do them since they'll never see him again anyway?

I'll second the "dick move" on this one. I always call when I find lost discs and am super appreciative when I get mine back. People like to rake lakes here in AZ and expect some sort of ransom when they find your disc. Pisses me off to no end.

Standard practice for a non dg person, dick move if it was a disc golfer.
It's gonna cost u 8$ to get a new one, just buy it back for 5$, u get to save 3$ for sucking

Dick move. But i only write my name in nicer discs I really want back. And I always give folks who return my disc something. Usually a 22 ouncer.

You should have tried to negotiate him down to $1 and a handshake.

Ill usually give the person who calls the choice of a used disc I don't care for or up to $5... if its a disc I really care for. There's a few discs I would
Pay more for or try to barter something to get it back.

Many people including disc Golfers don't call back when they find a disc so I feel it's nice to reward them for their honesty.

There are folks who go diving for discs on a regular basis who will charge a finders' fee for returning plastic. $5 seems a bit steep in my experience, but anywhere from $1-3 seems reasonable for providing a service. For the legitimate divers (the ones who do it with permission of the property powers that be, not the sneak-asses who go in illegally), their "fee" is usually negotiable. In other words, they'll take what you are willing to give but they're not going to hold anyone's property hostage to get something specific. They get that goodwill will go farther than profiteering.

Latest posts