• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Ace Race - What to expect?

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
Well, it'll be my first dg competition of any sort. So taking that into consideration, what am I in for? Any tips or rules of etiquette I should keep in mind?

i played a ace race yesterday..and its really just about havin fun. the whole two rounds there we didnt even have an order of who went first. we usually just said if anyone hit metal the hole before they went first the next hole.

this years disc is mad over stable. my technique was just to power lazer shots to the basket so you dont give the disc a chance to turn early. or big hyzers around trees and such.

BUT THE NUMBER ONE RULE IS TO HAVE FUN.

Ace Race isn't really a competition in the strictest of sense. I played last year, and I worked most of my friends, which is generally frowned upon during a round competition. Remember to have fun. And that the event truly is "Ace or Die," so the only nice shot is one that hits the basket or goes past it.

Expect everyone else to be as clueless as you. And definitely just go balls out, finessing it in doesn't work for me.

Balls out got my 3 metal hits and an ace last year. Of course, it doesn't hurt that

1. I have thrown a Wizard for 6 years (the disc last year was basically a copy of it).
2. I designed the course.

I know a lot is going to depend on how many people show and how the TD runs the event, but how long can I expect the event to last?

Don't make other plans for the day. We usually do something social after an ace race. BYOBBBQ or something along those lines. Take it as an opportunity to have fun and meet some other locals and get to know the local club.

JohnnyB said:
Don't make other plans for the day. We usually do something social after an ace race. BYOBBBQ or something along those lines. Take it as an opportunity to have fun and meet some other locals and get to know the local club.

Damn, all day for an ace race? If it is run correctly, the TD will allow for flex start and for groups to play two shots on each hole (I think you still get two discs). You can probably get 36 holes done in under an hour.

juju said:
JohnnyB said:

Damn, all day for an ace race? If it is run correctly, the TD will allow for flex start and for groups to play two shots on each hole (I think you still get two discs). You can probably get 36 holes done in under an hour.

It's more of a social event than anything. Ace races are fun. You talk as if you want to just get it over with.

JohnnyB said:
It's more of a social event than anything. Ace races are fun. You talk as if you want to just get it over with.

If I had all day to hang out and socialize, I would. But my fiance had to schedule an appointment later that day that I'd rather not miss.

The one I was at last weekend started around 10:30. The actual ace race portion took an hour and a half or so, then there was lunch and a big random doubles match. I left around 5:00.

Well, the Ace Race went well. No aces for me, but I got one metal hit! Only one other guy in my group got a metal hit. Not many aces overall.

I've gotta' say, it was interesting to see how it all went down, and it honestly was not what I thought it would be. It was fun and all the guys in my group were pretty cool, but I thought it was going to be a more friendly, family-oriented atmosphere. No. This was a gathering of loud, obnoxious frat-boy types, dropping f-bombs every other word and drinking beer out of a keg in someone's trunk that the TD told us to "keep on the down-low". I hate to be such a stick-in-the-mud, but it was definitely not something I wold bring any of my younger family members to. But I also understand that each Ace Race is different depending on who's running it, so I still give a big thumbs-up to Discraft for holding these events, and I would definitely attend another.

That's crazy, my ace race card consisted of a dude that just started playing, I think he was a military vet so he was well-mannered, and a dad and his kid. So it was very family friendly. My card thought I was a Pro, it was pretty funny. Some pro, I couldn't even hit metal.

I hijacked this thread to not post a new topic.

Nummela is the first county in Finland where the number of players exceeded that of every other sports a few years back. Their ace race 2014 winner with two hios and two metal hits is a female of whom i have vever heard before. Do you know of other women who have won Discraft ace races or is she the first?

Latest posts